Energy Suppliers

My energy bill has gone up by about £200 or about 20%. As the above person said, a laptop and a light bulb takes nothing to run. All the cost is heating.

Im not sure what the exact price of a season ticket is now but last time I checked it started with a six and had an extra zero. Even when I worked more locally it started with a three. Not only that I’m saving hours each day sitting in a train. I’ve also never slept so well in my life. :)

I'm saving 30 miles trip each way every day.

Fuel + time + less clothes washing + car costs wear and tear + dropping one car

Benefits are crazy

As a house we probably save 100 miles driving a day

Damn that's like 100-120 pounds a week!
Never really worked out before!

I have a EV and will be switching to a cheaper overnight Octopus Go tariff this month, so driving to work is probably cheaper than working from home. Especially as servicing & tyres are included with the car, and my day rate is more than doubling.

About £660 per yeah of electric, (a grand after April)?

Plus the fact in my case the FIT payment for a 2014 install is just over £700 a year, now its paid for itself the FIT payments can go towards batteries.

8x280Ah lifepo4 cells give you 7KW+ for just under £700.
First set this year, and another next will give me 14Kw+ battery

Last edited:
That was the endgame for smart meters all along.

They are not for consumer to "have an overview of their consumption" and "automate sending meter readings".
They are for energy producer.
First to know actual per-hour use, then switch to charge more at peak hours.
Yep - it's moving to Time of Use charging in the future.

This will steer people to use high power draw items at times of less demand e.g. charging an EV.

This will steer people to use high power draw items at times of less demand e.g. charging an EV.
What about points raised in article?
Watching a TV and boiling a kettle during peak hour, thats the only time you would do that. Or turning lights on when it gets dark.
So in essence after the change you will be paying more for something you won't be able to change.
TV and tea at 2am don't have quite the same effect.

Some poor bugger actually had to read the Daily Fail, I knew there was one of them out there.

I loved Agile when I had it, it saved me an absolute fortune, and I'd regularly get paid to use electricity, including charging my car to full several times. I kind of miss it now, but I am sure it will return albeit it not as lucrative as it once was, but there will still be savings.

Watching a TV and boiling a kettle during peak hour, thats the only time you would do that. Or turning lights on when it gets dark.
So in essence after the change you will be paying more for something you won't be able to change.

Compared to running a washing machine, dish washer or tumble dryer, those appliances use next to nothing. Yes a kettle can draw 3kw but it’s for about 30 seconds.

This was always the end game for smart meters, charge more from 5-7 charge LESS than current outside those times.

You’ll still be able to have a flat rate tariff, just expect to pay more than those that don’t and manage to move some of their consumption to outside peek times.

It’s all about nudging people to flatten the peek curve and to stop people getting home and putting on the washing machine, tumble dryer, EV charger, dishwasher etc when everyone also has their electric oven and hob going.

Works for me. Can easily schedule washing, tumble and dishwasher for off peak.
All these have delay timers

May have an eV by that time too (unlikely)

Although I accept it probably won't work that way especially as I'm work from home s to may end up choosing flat rate.

Yep all true, but move the use of what you can into the night and the saving you will make doing that, offsets the higher cost you might pay watching EastEnders with a foot-spa going.

It's no different to holiday companies charging more for holidays during the school breaks, when everyone wants to (can only) do the same.
Or, anything with a high demand - usually the cost goes up !

Last edited:
Set Indesit appliances at night then go sleep forever :eek:

Yeah, there's no way I'm running white goods whilst I'm asleep. If all suppliers start offering off-peak tariffs though, it makes overnight battery charging far more appealing. Maybe the Gov. should be proposing home grants for at-home battery solutions, to flatten the peak.

I wonder how the excess energy availability off peak (overnight) will change over time though as we switch more to renewables
As we get more solar then there is going to be a lot less being generated off peak compared to gas/coal/nuclear which doesn't care what time it is nor if its sunny

Is it windier at night than during the day? It feels like it but is that just outlier gusts?

Anyone leaving a tumble dryer on overnight needs their head looked at.

Any white goods with a heater element is a risk to run overnight really, if peak pricing forces more people to run these things while they are sleeping then expect to see an increase in house fires / deaths.

Back
Top Bottom