Energy Suppliers

To me it's the principle of it, if the standing charge is the cost of running the grid/gas equivalent (not sure what it's called). Have the running costs doubled in the last year as I highly doubt it (happy to be proved wrong though).

To me it's the principle of it, if the standing charge is the cost of running the grid/gas equivalent (not sure what it's called). Have the running costs doubled in the last year as I highly doubt it (happy to be proved wrong though).
This. I understand if the wholesale price of gas has doubled then it would cause unit price per kw to also double (dubious it has doubled) but have running costs also doubled leading to the standing charge increase. If so then that’s also fair but its the gas that has gone up in price.

Anyone have figures?

Also, if gas wholesale price has gone from say 100 to 200 causing the increase. What are the chances of prices going down again in 6-12 month? Low is my guess

If a higher unit charge resulted in low consumption users having a lower bill then yes I would be happy with that... At least you'd be in more control then.

This. I understand if the wholesale price of gas has doubled then it would cause unit price per kw to also double (dubious it has doubled) but have running costs also doubled leading to the standing charge increase. If so then that’s also fair but its the gas that has gone up in price.

Anyone have figures?

Also, if gas wholesale price has gone from say 100 to 200 causing the increase. What are the chances of prices going down again in 6-12 month? Low is my guess

The wholesale price of gas hasn't doubled, it's gone up by 4-5 times

If a higher unit charge resulted in low consumption users having a lower bill then yes I would be happy with that... At least you'd be in more control then.

Low consumption users aren't profitable hence the standing charge, stands to reason if unit price goes up so does the standing charge. or of curiosity has anyone bothered to ask their supplier how the standing charge is calculated?

Its not really retroactively applying a missed increase though, the increase happened its just that the customer is avoiding it. I've asked the question with some of our guys as never really seen this scenario and not saying your right or wrong but will confirm from my end.

I would have though there was some reg or agreement in place to cover this kind of evasion
Did you get a reply? avoidance :D

Some information from ofgem regarding current price cap and how it breaks down.

One thing to consider that has increased operation costs is the 30 suppliers that have gone bust, all those costs get pushed onto the consumer. I was with avro my solr is octopus, avro alone was 600000 customers the majority of which were most likely in credit as it was coming to the end of summer when they went under, there'll be plenty of other costs involved with the take over, all of those costs get pushed onto everyones bills.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/default-tariff-cap-level-1-april-2022-30-september-2022

With the spike in prices today, what happens in the next 2/3 months (with Putin) will determine just how bad the CAP in October is going to be. Wholesale gas prices up 40% in 24 hours.

unit prices of 50 to 60 pence, maybe more could be a possibility towards the end of the year. Look on the bright side, it'll stop your neighbours putting crappy decorations up on the outsides of their houses :D

So, what are everyone current and new rates?

I got moved to Shell when Pure Planet went bust, I just received the email regarding the new rates for April. An annual increase of £621.

Your electricity rates will change from 21.607p to 28.408p per kWh and your standing charge per day will change from 25.66p to 51.62p.
Your gas rates will change from 4.197p to 7.476p per kWh and your standing charge per day will change from 26.11p to 27.22p.

Is it even worth moving providers anymore? All the comparison sites appear to be empty.

I got moved to Shell when Pure Planet went bust, I just received the email regarding the new rates for April. An annual increase of £621.

Is it even worth moving providers anymore? All the comparison sites appear to be empty.
Im trying to get some info on other providers (not crappy comparison sites)
SSE seem to be cheaper than Shell

Ah, I'll check that out thanks. So far EON, EDF and Octopus are significantly more expensive than Shell.

edit - nevermind, they're not taking new customers - https://products.sse.co.uk/energy-signup/unavailable
I posted something on my buildings notice board with my rates and asking for others.

Someone posted this, however it doesnt say if it is current or from 1st April. Either way, cheaper than Shell by a mile. 33.57 Shell compared to 22.25 SSE!

SSE
Standing charge - 31.63
Day rate - 22.25
Night rate - 16.77

Edit - Looking at the oil price chart on this link it was lowest during Covid and the lockdowns. So when no-one could travel and use cars.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60502451

Last edited:
Ah, I'll check that out thanks. So far EON, EDF and Octopus are significantly more expensive than Shell.

edit - nevermind, they're not taking new customers - https://products.sse.co.uk/energy-signup/unavailable

I think switching will generally be more expensive at the moment because if you choose to switch you are no longer protected by the price cap so pay full market rate.

Did you get a reply? avoidance :D

lol yes and no. yes in the sense that for suppliers it does mean the customer dodges the increase until they top up another 3-ish times then it should write the new prices to the meter. I've not had anyone confirm we cant "back bill" as big boy put it but it would create an imbalance between what the supplier shows as being used/paid for and what the customer has used/paid for and should create a debt on the supplier side for that customer. If its enforcable is another matter and it's still being looked into

Back
Top Bottom