Energy Suppliers

Send martin lewis a tweet tell him Shadow says let granny have her two bars on her electric heater next winter and everyone pay the full year ahead :p
Now where is my MBE :(
hh.jpg

Just received an email from Shell Energy (I was with Pure Planet) that as of April I will be moved from their Flexible 6 to their Flexible 7 tariff. Projected increase is £472 a year. These are the rates:

Your electricity rates will change from 20.076p to 27.358p per kWh and your standing charge per day will change from 26.82p to 48.52p.
Your gas rates will change from 3.983p to 7.280p per kWh and your standing charge per day will change from 26.11p to 27.22p.

Welp.

Just received an email from Shell Energy (I was with Pure Planet) that as of April I will be moved from their Flexible 6 to their Flexible 7 tariff. Projected increase is £472 a year. These are the rates:

Your electricity rates will change from 20.076p to 27.358p per kWh and your standing charge per day will change from 26.82p to 48.52p.
Your gas rates will change from 3.983p to 7.280p per kWh and your standing charge per day will change from 26.11p to 27.22p.

Welp.
Better than mine. 33.57p per KWh and 54.59p standing. Projected increase a year £640

In contract, Green rates (Sturgeon Fixed 12 Month) were;

Standing - 18.00p
Day - 14.02p
Night - 11.06p

!!

Current rate?

Electric

19.74p/kWh
23.76p/day

Gas

3.76p/kWh
23.85p/day

I got a theory why standing charges might be so variable, the ofgem documents are vague (I think deliberately) but its mentioned the costs of preserving account credit for customers who are migrated to a new supplier (on existing going into liquidation) the cost is shared by other consumers (instead of by the government as it should be) and it might be that the individual companies are allowed to stack that onto the standing charge rather than it been spread by the industry as a whole, so if you are a customer of a supplier who had to take on lots of refugees you then pay for those refugees.

Does this sound plausible?

If I am right the suppliers who took on the most refugees will have highest SC.

To me it's the principle of it, if the standing charge is the cost of running the grid/gas equivalent (not sure what it's called). Have the running costs doubled in the last year as I highly doubt it (happy to be proved wrong though).
This. I understand if the wholesale price of gas has doubled then it would cause unit price per kw to also double (dubious it has doubled) but have running costs also doubled leading to the standing charge increase. If so then that’s also fair but its the gas that has gone up in price.

Anyone have figures?

From ofgem.
Network costs: The main driver of this increase is the recovery of Supplier of Last Resort (SoLR) levy costs (£68). A supplier acting as a SoLR can make a claim for any reasonable additional, otherwise unrecoverable, costs they incur. These levy claims are paid to energy companies by the distribution network companies and recovered from consumers via their charges

It's these costs that are being added to the standing charge.

Was on Green. Went bump, transferred to Shell

Email from them yesterday

Your electricity rates will change from 21.995p to 29.584p per kWh and your standing charge per day will change from 23.50p to 47.58p.
Your gas rates will change from 4.066p to 7.365p per kWh and your standing charge per day will change from 26.11p to 27.22p.

Your rates and projections outlined above include 5% VAT and are what we estimate you’ll pay over the next 12 months.

This is based on your estimated energy consumption of 24,260 kWh of gas and 7,555 kWh of electricity. Your actual costs will vary according to your usage.

Welp.
Same email (also PP to Shell) but different rates, guessing different area?

Your electricity rates will change from 20.680p to 28.455p per kWh and your standing charge per day will change from 24.11p to 43.39p.
Your gas rates will change from 4.169p to 7.479p per kWh and your standing charge per day will change from 26.11p to 27.22p.

With the events of the last 24 hours in mind a 2 year fix is looking very tempting right now, even if it is ~10% more expensive than the cap. Cant see prices going anywhere but up in October :s

With the events of the last 24 hours in mind a 2 year fix is looking very tempting right now, even if it is ~10% more expensive than the cap. Cant see prices going anywhere but up in October :s

Is anyone offering 2 years?

I can see this killing the government in all honesty, if they remain disconnected as they currently are and just let the cap keep track, there will be riots potentially.

Is anyone offering 2 years?

I can see this killing the government in all honesty, if they remain disconnected as they currently are and just let the cap keep track, there will be riots potentially.
Id join the leccy riots.
It’ll be £200 a month soon for electric in a 2 bed apartment in the city!

Back
Top Bottom