Energy Suppliers

In hindsight there were cheaper deals than the coming cap especially if you think the price cap is going up further in October.

There were 3 year deals with no exit fees lower than the April price cap.
There was also cashback freely available.

I'm definitely not criticising as no one knew. But it just goes to show that advice is just that and no one really knows.

I just didn't want to take the chance on uncontrollable rises. Myself, I was much happier on a fix for a hundred more over one winter than a potential uncontrollable rise in gas prices.

That was the risk.
There was only 100 pounds burn if the fix wasn't worth it.

I think one year deals werent worth it, I agree on 18+ month one's though, but I didnt see any. So it seems they werent that easy to find.

Ovo have nearly doubled the electricity standing charge (24p per day to 44p per day).

Dick move.

Gas usage for us will tail off as it gets warmer now, but having that standing charge increase, bah.

I think one year deals werent worth it, I agree on 18+ month one's though, but I didnt see any. So it seems they werent that easy to find.
There were a few at start of October. But any later than that they basically evaporated.

I agree. The 1 year ones are probably not much different to the cap. I mean that's obviously what the energy companies are aiming for.

Octopus are giving away free peak energy for customers who can reduce their usage.

I've signed up, but unfortunately I use next to nothing from the grid during the day so i'm not likely to save anything.

Congrats. I've had a few days over their calculation period where I've had an empty battery. The last 28 days my average unit price is 5.34p :)

I should be able to use 0 tomorrow during the period, and gain 0p credit :)

We use very little really, think I average out @6.5p a unit, last months bill was £28 for electric with Octopus 5p/15p.

Next renewal I expect 7.5p/30p/ late September. (hope its not more)

Smart meter booked for late march, so hopefully I can get one of these time of day deals after that.

Smart meter opened the door to huge savings, I would have been paying 14p/28p with Scot/power without the smart meter.

edit to add.... the 14/28 price is from before the latest price increase, hate to think what it would be now!.

Shell energy electric rates are shooting up!! I think it’ll be cheaper to eat out all the time and live at Ibis

What are your rates going up to? These are shocking from Shell. We already pay about £130 a month in a 2 bed apartment with hardly and heating on.

current
Standing - 26.91p
Day - 25.05p
Night - 10.50p

from 1st april
Standing - 54.59p
Day - 33.57p
Night - 18.58p

It's the increase in the standing charge which is the most shocking for me. It's like the companies know that massive rises in the unit price will be bad for publicity so they tack it on to the Standing charge. It also insulates the power companies from people cutting back on their usage as well.

It's the increase in the standing charge which is the most shocking for me. It's like the companies know that massive rises in the unit price will be bad for publicity so they tack it on to the Standing charge. It also insulates the power companies from people cutting back on their usage as well.
Yeh, even if we dont use anything the price of being connected will double.

In theory, could you tell them to disconnect you fully so no standard charge or anything and get electric another way? Generator or something

I mean 26p to 54p standing charge will cost £8.50pcm on average. I really wish an increase of under 9 quid a month was the really big issue here....

I mean 26p to 54p standing charge will cost £8.50pcm on average. I really wish an increase of under 9 quid a month was the really big issue here....
But for some companies like British Gas who have around 12 million customers that £8.50pm is suddenly £102 million pounds. A month. Before anyone even uses any gas.

But for some companies like British Gas who have around 12 million customers that £8.50pm is suddenly £102 million pounds. A month. Before anyone even uses any gas.

I really don't understand the fuss about the standing charges, it's perfectly transparent and nothing is hidden, the rise in standing charge is less then a Kwh per day, it is what it is, we're all going to get reamed from this point onward.

If the standing charge stayed as it was then the price per kwh would rise further to compensate, I only get one standing charge a day, I get charged for 10+ kwh per day :D

I really don't understand the fuss about the standing charges, it's perfectly transparent and nothing is hidden, the rise in standing charge is less then a Kwh per day, it is what it is, we're all going to get reamed from this point onward.

If the standing charge stayed as it was then the price per kwh would rise further to compensate, I only get one standing charge a day, I get charged for 10+ kwh per day :D

I dont think its transparent at least not on ofgem side, they quoting silly average annual increases instead of the breakdown. Which gives people the impression its all usage based so if they used half the average then they have half the increase.

The £8.50 per month per unit daily usage really rams home how expensive electric has got now though. Thats horrible.

Back
Top Bottom