Energy Suppliers

Is it sensible to sign up to a 3k fixed tariff under the current state of things? I'm currently on Octopus variable, and today's offer fixed for 12 months is £249/m :(:(

No one knows, you can only do what's right for your and what you're comfortable with.

Comfortable isn't really the right word but it's a case of taking the least worst option that works for you.

Is it sensible to sign up to a 3k fixed tariff under the current state of things? I'm currently on Octopus variable, and today's offer fixed for 12 months is £249/m :(:(

You need the unit rate.

Is so annoying that ofgem push out these figures and everyone starts using absolute numbers. It's impossible to compare. And I'd argue it makes things more complex. I know they are trying to make it simpler.

3k for a 1 bed flat vs a mansion. Completely different

You need the unit rate.

Is so annoying that ofgem push out these figures and everyone starts using absolute numbers. It's impossible to compare. And I'd argue it makes things more complex. I know they are trying to make it simpler.

Thanks, for context:

Electricity
Daily standing charge 25.08p /day
Unit rate 36.21p /kWh

Gas
Daily standing charge 26.10p /day
Unit rate 9.71p /kWh

Fairly eye watering....

Thanks, for context:

Electricity
Unit rate 36.21p /kWh

Gas
Unit rate 9.71p /kWh

Fairly eye watering....

Certainly is, I'm with octopus but haven't had the new rates sent thought yet. To be fair I haven't been billed since August, I was an avro customer and octopus are the solr.

Is that the fixed rate you've been offered? That doesn't look too far above the April cap prices

Thanks, for context:

Electricity
Unit rate 36.21p /kWh

Gas
Unit rate 9.71p /kWh

Fairly eye watering....
You could potentially fix for at least some certaintly, and pay the leaving early charge if prices drop (if there is one, mine is £50 per fuel)

I can lock in the following electric only rates with Scottishpower.
Tempting seems as my current rates are only a few pennies lower on day and night (33.57 and 18.58) but standing change is much lower saving around £8.50/month
I have a feeling the cap in April 23 will go way higher, maybe 50 or 60p unit rates

Actually, cap move is Semptember this year

Shell Energy
The rates for this tariff are fixed until Friday 30 September 2022, when the price cap will be revised.

Fixed until 31 May 2024
Standing -28.549p per day
Day - 35.538p
Night -22.329p

edit - Interesting thought, I wonder how the surge in gas prices has impacted Crypro mining? Surely the cost of electric use to mine would outweigh the mined coins

Last edited:
Well, it appears the only fix I can now get is with Octopus at a "discounted" loyal customer rate of £345/month - that's almost £100/month more than the cap. At that price it really doesn't seem worth it. Tried calling BG about the fixed tariff which was available 2 days ago but they've got a BS message about lots of people needing boiler repairs so they've cut off their new customer line to deal with it. More like they're busy trying to work out how much they can milk people for whilst still maintaining record profits!

Edit: actually, EON are still offering a fixed tariff:

MuWhjv6.png

Think I'll pass :eek:

Edit: gas similarly ridiculous at 13p

Thanks, for context:

Electricity
Unit rate 36.21p /kWh

Gas
Unit rate 9.71p /kWh

Fairly eye watering....

Much more helpful.
My friend only last week took a fix for 33p FYI.
Felt crazy at the time. But if things are already moving past that? Who knows.

Can't really advise. It's a risk appetite thing

That fix its 60-70 percent higher ish than my fix in October.
But I think energy prices have increased by more than that. Tough call buddy.

I'll say again I went against popular advice in October. And I was right (in hindsight) . So I won't give any.

Not sure, I'm already a customer. That fixed rate has already increased by ~5% in 2 days :/

If this continues, lots of people are going to be cutting back on "non-essentials" like... food, heating and lighting

Back
Top Bottom