Energy Suppliers

It's not a bailout, their operational costs have increased because they have to honour the credit from the new customers dumped in their lap.

Fair enough.

What about the in-debit customers they got as that's money they wouldn't have received? By "in-debit" I refer to customers who pay monthly but have usedore than they have paid but this balances out with lower Summer usage i.e not people "in debt"

Have the government given any acknowledgement whatsoever about this whole issue and the potential for what's going to happen next winter? It looks like they are doing nothing and letting it happen, or have a missed something?

Without being anti-government, they really don't care that much given that any increase to them can be claimed as expenses so it has no effect on them

Fair enough.

What about the in-debit customers they got as that's money they wouldn't have received? By "in-debit" I refer to customers who pay monthly but have usedore than they have paid but this balances out with lower Summer usage i.e not people "in debt"

I'd assume any in debit owed would be settled with the administrators of the failed supplier but don't know for definite.

I'm certainly glad I signed up for a 3 year fix around the same time as you did. It seemed mad at the time...
I had the offer of a fixed contract with Bulb not too long ago. They went bust

What's to stop companies also going bust that have long term fixed contacts but cant afford to stick to their fixed rates?

I took a fixed octopus loyal customer (was avro) 12 month last night at following rates:

Electricity
Unit price 33.46p per kWh
Standing charge 25.66p per day

Gas
Unit price 8.96p per kWh
Standing charge 26.10p per day

Last night I got a email from Shell Energy, the first I have had from them for a while, stating that I will be moved to a different tariff when the price cap increase comes into force plus they will also be adding a charge for my payment method as it's not direct debit. What are these idiots playing at? I am not even with them and they have had my money since Green went bust so they owe me not me owing them. I have explained this to them twice now yet still have not had a final bill for the few days between Green going bust and my switch to Sainsbury's completing and no refund of the couple of hundred pounds of mine that they are sitting on. Maybe I should treat it as a loan and start charging them interest on it!! I feel sorry for you guys that are on their tariff, apart from the the increased cost per unit they included standing charges of 50 odd pence per energy. It's disgusting how much companies are hiking the standing charge for gas and electricity and it's about time it was fixed at a reasonable rate. I am dreading October when my fix ends as I will get the April increase as well as the October increase (rumoured today to be £3250 per year average annual cost) all in one go.

I had the offer of a fixed contract with Bulb not too long ago. They went bust

What's to stop companies also going bust that have long term fixed contacts but cant afford to stick to their fixed rates?

You don't go with another small company when others are going bust. I made sure mine was with a big boy

Last night I got a email from Shell Energy, the first I have had from them for a while, stating that I will be moved to a different tariff when the price cap increase comes into force plus they will also be adding a charge for my payment method as it's not direct debit. What are these idiots playing at? I am not even with them and they have had my money since Green went bust so they owe me not me owing them. I have explained this to them twice now yet still have not had a final bill for the few days between Green going bust and my switch to Sainsbury's completing and no refund of the couple of hundred pounds of mine that they are sitting on. Maybe I should treat it as a loan and start charging them interest on it!! I feel sorry for you guys that are on their tariff, apart from the the increased cost per unit they included standing charges of 50 odd pence per energy. It's disgusting how much companies are hiking the standing charge for gas and electricity and it's about time it was fixed at a reasonable rate. I am dreading October when my fix ends as I will get the April increase as well as the October increase (rumoured today to be £3250 per year average annual cost) all in one go.

I had an update from their support today to say my refund cheque was on its way. I was in a similar boat to you, although I went for 2 years with Sainsburys/Eon.

The first few times I contacted them, they just didn’t get it but eventually someone picked it up who did and since then it seems to be progressing as it should. It’s taking it’s sweet time but I am finally getting my refund.

Insane increases from Bulb - just got email.

Electric - 20.8p to 27.8p!!!
Standing charge 24p to 49p!!!!
Gas 4p to 7.3p

Mental price increase - they want my monthly DD to go from £220 currently to £295 a month....

Insane increases from Bulb - just got email.

Electric - 20.8p to 27.8p!!!
Standing charge 24p to 49p!!!!
Gas 4p to 7.3p

Mental price increase - they want my monthly DD to go from £220 currently to £295 a month....
It's the same for everyone - those are the new price cap costs from April 1st (Variable rate)
If you get a fixed tariff then it will be higher !

51861110435_8160bb4aba_c.jpg

Haven't had my email from Bulb yet. But the new price cap is still broadly cheaper than any fixed deals that are available. I'm happy to have banked real savings thanks to the cap that worry about hypothetical future savings.

Electric - 20.86, standing 24.01/day
Gas - 4.06, standing 26.11/day

Edit: Scottish power offering:
Electric - 37.25p, standing 18.25/day
Gas - 10.305p, standing 20.35/day

Christ, I would love to pay 27.8p or 28.34p for electric!

Contemplating move to Scottishpower. Fixed until 31 May 2024
Standing -28.549p
Day - 35.538p
Night -22.329p

I pay the following with octopus;

Electricity
11.76p import
22p standing charge.

Export is 11.76p

Gas
4.81p import
26.59p standing charge.

I’m fixed until sept/oct this year but I’m sure that will then double when I come to renew.

I pay the following with octopus;
No need to rub it in !!!!
You fixed before all of the price increases at the end of last year - just about timing of when people's fixed deals finish and renew.

When you come to renew, the prices will be a lot higher, electricity will be 3x (+) what you're currently paying. If you renew after 1st October then it will be higher than that, as that's when the price cap will be updated again (after 1st April)

had email today cheapest offering from eon next 12 month fixed deal

Next Online v11
Electricity
Unit price 27.36p per kWh
Standing charge 48.53p per day

(up from unit price / standing charge 17.73 p/kWh 21.90 p/day)

Gas
Unit price 7.28p per kWh
Standing charge 27.22p per day

( up from unit price / standing charge 3.11 p/kWh 21.67 p/day)

wish i had took a two year deal now last year.

my DD is currently £63 per month will be £111 in April :(

Back
Top Bottom