Energy Suppliers

Does anyone know what Octopus April price cap is ? I cant find any information.

The Loyal Octopus 12M Fixed is showing almost double of the standard from last year.

No idea as had no "prices changing" email from them yet, I can only check the 12m contract they have available. But it shouldnt be wildly different from local ofgem rates.

No idea as had no "prices changing" email from them yet, I can only check the 12m contract they have available. But it shouldnt be wildly different from local ofgem rates.
Thanks, I assume you are also on the flex plan.
b0rn2sk8 has shared some information on the price cap below

This is the fixed rate I can see online offered to me should i get it or stick with flex ?

⚡ Electricity
Daily standing charge 26.82p /day
Unit rate 35.14p /kWh
Early exit fee £0
Gas
Daily standing charge 26.10p /day
Unit rate 9.65p /kWh
Early exit fee £0

Pretty much the same as everyone else’s, it varies by region but just look back in this thread and you’ll see rough prices.

Roughly
28p per kWh and 48p per day for electric and 7p per kWh and 28p per day for gas.

Even if its estimated readings, I want my DD to match the bill. What you say cant be done is exactly how credit accounts used to work before static DD was introduced, you was given a bill for the quarter and expected to pay it.

I think someone mentioned earlier (and they are right in my opinion) that the static DD payment system gives these companies working capital as we are effectively lending them money.

Now if Octopus want to give me shares in the company, I wont mind giving them working capital. :)

Other bills are like that, water bills are like that you pay for what you use not for what you *might* use at some indeterminate point in the future its lead to a proliferation of energy companies who are using your money to basically bet on the energy futures market, well when that doesn't pan out look what happened half of them folded but I bet someone lined their pockets while they were still viable.

Last edited:
Other bills are like that, water bills are like that you pay for what you use not for what you *might* use at some indeterminate point in the future its lead to a proliferation of energy companies who are using your money to basically bet on the energy futures market, well when that doesn't pan out look what happened half of them folded but I bet someone lined their pockets while they were still viable.

I expect most people pay their water bills by direct debit which is based on a single annual reading (or at most 2 a year), it’s very much on the same basis as electric and gas and paid in advance over the 6 months between bills. Meter readings just tend to be much less frequent.

The main difference is that water is not a globally traded commodity and its supply is very localised at the moment.

Just by chance I checked my current SVR tariff with British Gas and saw this. These are based on the new price cap that comes into place from April 1st. I'll have to call the tomorrow (as they only open 9am-5pm... helpful for people who work those times too...) to find out why I've moved over a month early!

Gas:
Standing 27.22
Unit: 7.367

Electric:
Standing: 48.127
Unit: 27.865

Don't want this to be classed as a referral, but utility warehouse seem cheap ATM. Had a look recently when trying to find a cheap night rate. (The :cry: seems appropriate at that idea:p).

Just by chance I checked my current SVR tariff with British Gas and saw this. These are based on the new price cap that comes into place from April 1st. I'll have to call the tomorrow (as they only open 9am-5pm... helpful for people who work those times too...) to find out why I've moved over a month early!

Gas:
Standing 27.22
Unit: 7.367

Electric:
Standing: 48.127
Unit: 27.865

Shell have done something similar, my estimated usage jumped from £146 to £226 p/m, so they've clearly calculated it based on the new tariffs.

Finally had an email about price increases

Electricity to 31 March from 1 April
First Rate 34.860p 54.020p
Saver Rate 20.240p 27.630p
First Rate is charged for the first 2kWh used per day and Saver Rate is charged for the remaining kWh used per day. Prices include VAT.

Gas to 31 March from 1 April
First Rate 21.417p 25.843p
Saver Rate 3.987p 7.346p

Still haven't got a clue what to do if me and partner ever get into our house. We're not huge energy users, careful about lights (which will all be LED) left on, etc etc. I've got an EV but the new house is next to the train station so the days I do need to commute to work the car won't be used, so mileage is going to drop dramatically, which then begs how much I should try and pursue a dedicated EV tariff for the 7.5p/kWh charging if the day rate is going to be extortion. That said, the current Octopus Go day rate is around new price cap levels anyway so I may not be any worse off going for their fixed.

If we get in, it'll definitely be after 1st April so after the price cap increase. The house is a 2017 build so very well insulated so gas usage shouldn't really be too much of a concern for us, plus it has an upstairs/downstairs split heating system so we can game that to save a few pennies here and there.

If our usage is low enough, a fixed tariff may not be too bad if the unit price is anywhere near price cap levels...

If you have an EV and are not locked into a low fixed price already (E.g. 20p or under) which you will not as you are just moving house then Go is a no brainer.

I wouldn’t fix the gas though, just leave that with whoever it’s with on the SVR.

If you have an EV and are not locked into a low fixed price already (E.g. 20p or under) which you will not as you are just moving house then Go is a no brainer.

I wouldn’t fix the gas though, just leave that with whoever it’s with on the SVR.

We're currently with parents so nothing on the go right now (and tipping them heavily when I charge the car from 3-pin :D ). Could I expect to be penalised by British Gas if I only have gas with them, splitting off electric to Octopus Go, do you think? It'll be a while before I get the night rate anyway as I don't believe the electric meter is a smart meter, so I'll be waiting for the upgrade.

There is no penalty for moving the electric and leaving the gas with BG when you are out of contract.

You’ll need a smart meter installed before you can move to Go. BG or octopus can do that but I’d have a chat with Octopus to make sure you don’t need to go on some awful tariff while you wait.

I’d have a chat with Octopus to make sure you don’t need to go on some awful tariff while you wait.
Yep this - the 'emergency' Go Tarrif you get put on whilst you wait for a Smart Meter install, or the time for Octopus to identify your meter readings, is approx 37p kWh

There's going to be some sweating go on if things continue the way they are going.

Price per therm for Gas closed yesterday at 289, it then opened this morning at 321 which was getting close to decembers all time high of 335.. it then spiked to 453 per therm earlier and has now settled at 400 per therm

5kwxJIE.png

Who are people using for fixed tariffs, that do not require a smart meter to be installed?

Just go with anyone who offers the best deal for you. As far as im aware no supplier is enforcing smart meter installs for the tarrifs. I know my employer has it in the T and C but 100% not being enforced and i cant see it happening for at least another year or 2

There's going to be some sweating go on if things continue the way they are going.

Price per therm for Gas closed yesterday at 289, it then opened this morning at 321 which was getting close to decembers all time high of 335.. it then spiked to 453 per therm earlier and has now settled at 400 per therm

5kwxJIE.png

That's a big jump, this is going to get interesting, forget the poor they are utterly screwed already with the current price rises, this now has the potential to hit families hard who would consider themselves fairly comfortable.

That's a big jump, this is going to get interesting, forget the poor they are utterly screwed already with the current price rises, this now has the potential to hit families hard who would consider themselves fairly comfortable.

Yeah game changing stuff this.
I just wrote in the GD thread the new fixes are now coming out 2x that if the October fixes. For less duration. And massive exit fees

Back
Top Bottom