Energy Suppliers

Who are people using for fixed tariffs, that do not require a smart meter to be installed?
None of them require a smart meter installed as far as I'm aware, usually in the small print it says you agree to be contacted about having one installed not actually having one.
I was on Eons for 2 years and just refused the smart meter.

It makes no difference in a rental property, the meter is not property of the landlord.

The meter isn’t a con, that is some tin foil hat nonsense. The saving money marketing is a stretch but it’s designed to nudge behaviour change and not be some magic box that reduces your bill.

energy.jpg

Email from Outfox. Our fix ends 24th March, right before the price increase. At face value that annual usage estimate is a little on the high side, as we pay £76/m, provide regular readings and are currently in credit. £1574 works out to be £131ish a month, which is way higher than what we pay now.

The new rates pretty much look like the price cap to me? Electric standing charge a little cheaper though.

Unless I find a fix at sub 20% higher than the price cap, I don't see any other option apart from just moving onto the price cap?

Edit: I was offered Fix'd X 22 2.0 with the following rates:

Electricity Unit Rate - £0.618 per kWh
Electricity Standing Charge - £0.427 per day
Gas Unit Rate - £0.192 per kWh
Gas Standing Charge - £0.331 per day

Exit fee £50

Absolutely absurd fix. 105% higher on gas and 172% on electricity over the price cap at my estimated usage (albeit wrong usage).

Last edited:
It makes no difference in a rental property, the meter is not property of the landlord.

The meter isn’t a con, that is some tin foil hat nonsense. The saving money marketing is a stretch but it’s designed to nudge behaviour change and not be some magic box that reduces your bill.

I appreciate you are a bit slow. I do not own the property, the landlord has to decide if they want one installing on their property, not me, or the energy companies

I appreciate you are a bit slow. I do not own the property, the landlord has to decide if they want one installing on their property, not me, or the energy companies
As long as the electric/gas bills are in your name and not included in the rent or something like that then you can do as you wish.

Octopus on their smart meter order page state landlord permission is required, I ordered anyway and now have an appointment, so looks like its not been enforced. I dont think the issue is ownership of meter, but rather risk of damage to the property during installation, the same reason cityfibre are requiring wayleave agreements in rented flats.

Absolutely this. The meter belongs to the supplier (technically) and is their responsibility. The supplier has to request access from the user, unless access restricted (it should never be). The user can request a meter change as long as it is non distructive.

why are so many people afraid to have a smart meter ?, all it does is give you far more options of better deals.
Because of all the posts about people having issues with them. Issues switching, display not working, readings connectivity not working, needing replacement meters quickly, etc. No need to let them experiment on you.
Then there's people who think they're fundamentally flawed because they add money to your bill and open you up to getting charged more at peak time further down the line and there was nothing wrong with dumb meters so complicating them just creates more ways for them to fail (same story as smart lightbulbs, smart doorbells, smart thermostats, etc.)

^^^ well all I can say to that is, a smart meter has bought my monthly electric Winter bill Dec/Jan/Feb to under £30 a month, due to the choice of plans open to me on a smart meter.
Without the above I was paying £80+ per month(Winter) without all the price rises.

So again why restrict yourself to having to pay more by not having one.

Back
Top Bottom