Energy Suppliers

Because of all the posts about people having issues with them. Issues switching, display not working, readings connectivity not working, needing replacement meters quickly, etc. No need to let them experiment on you.
Then there's people who think they're fundamentally flawed because they add money to your bill and open you up to getting charged more at peak time further down the line and there was nothing wrong with dumb meters so complicating them just creates more ways for them to fail (same story as smart lightbulbs, smart doorbells, smart thermostats, etc.)
How thick is your tin foil hat as I think the weight of it is causing brain damage...

Guess I don't have as much faith as you. Please pray to Smart Meter Jesus for my soul.
I work in the industry, have been installing smart meters for business for nearly 18years. Smart metering as we know it is not a new thing, it's existed for nearly 30years. Other than network outages (more common than we would like but down to the DCC not supplier) or hardware failure (very rare) it's a very robust system.

So Octopus are doing a great trial with the grid to encourage users to reduce energy during peak times where 'dirty' energy would be needed to supply demand. It's fantastic, and you can read more here: https://octopus.energy/blog/the-big-dirty-turn-down-free-electricity-trial

But MY GOD, they need to incentivise it better:

U2kjGrT.jpg

U2kjGrT.jpg

:rolleyes:

I particularly like that it takes "400k hours of netflix" but they've spun it to make it sound like that big number is actually better!

Don't spend it all at once! :D

Edit: I was offered Fix'd X 22 2.0 with the following rates:

Electricity Unit Rate - £0.618 per kWh
Electricity Standing Charge - £0.427 per day
Gas Unit Rate - £0.192 per kWh
Gas Standing Charge - £0.331 per day

Exit fee £50

Absolutely absurd fix. 105% higher on gas and 172% on electricity over the price cap at my estimated usage (albeit wrong usage).
Energy Analysts and the market are only expecting energy prices to go up, so any fix deal is going to take that into account.
Also, remember the only reason the standard variable rate is cheaper is because of the price cap. If it was to reflect market energy rates then it would cost everyone more money for energy.

Energy Analysts and the market are only expecting energy prices to go up, so any fix deal is going to take that into account.
Also, remember the only reason the standard variable rate is cheaper is because of the price cap. If it was to reflect market energy rates then it would cost everyone more money for energy.
Correct, come April first we are looking at a 54% increase, in October we are expecting another 25-40% on top of that! (I work in the energy sector for one of the big 6)

You have two choices take the fix or don't and ride out the coming costs.

The expected rise is no joke, it WILL bankrupt small companies, it WILL create fuel poverty. This is not a guess it's expected!

Mine.. Bulb.

From 1 April, our prices will be increasing

We're increasing our electricity unit rate from 20.669p to 28.455p per kWh and electricity standing charge from 24.102p to 43.394p per day.

We're increasing our gas unit rate from 4.167p to 7.479p per kWh and standing charge from 26.112p to 27.219p per day.

These prices all include VAT at 5%.

Recently lowered my DD to £169 a month as I wasn't eating through the credit quick enough. It will probably be around the £250 mark soon.

I particularly like that it takes "400k hours of netflix" but they've spun it to make it sound like that big number is actually better!

Don't spend it all at once! :D

Just got another for tomorrow at the same times, except this time it's even less. Does feel entirely pointless which is a shame.

"Your target: reduce your usage by 0.29 kWh
This is 40% less than you'd normally use across the two hours, based on smart meter data showing you normally use 0.72 kWh over the period."

Can't wait for my £200 discount applied in October... Will make a MASSIVE difference... Government need to do soemthing and do it now before it gets worse. Was nice to see MP's will have the pay rise for all the hard work while thousands will suffer...

Can't wait for my £200 discount applied in October... Will make a MASSIVE difference... Government need to do soemthing and do it now before it gets worse. Was nice to see MP's will have the pay rise for all the hard work while thousands will suffer...

A below inflation pay rise. Lets not start discussing MPs already low salaries here.

We turned our gas central heating off several weeks ago and according to our Hive app it's saving us in the region of £2 per day (it's now only on 0600-0800). We thought, 'Great!' But now I realise that the energy companies are hiking their standing charges as well! Like, wtf?

They want us to save money and the environment by using less energy - something smart meters were sold as a key way of accomplishing - and yet when it happens because of massive price rises, the energy companies soon realise they're going to lose out, so find another way to claw it all back!

Overall the government intervention in the energy market has a cost to it. Government means taxes basically so yea the standing charge sucks for the lowest end of the market. High end they dont care, its a small percentage but saving energy firm customers comes out in that cost I guess.
The bottom line is UK has to be able to stand on its own two feet, energy security; if nothing else this current war makes it totally clear why its a bad idea to lean on distant sources because now Russia thinks they can bring back USSR and we will pay then a billion every day to do so which despite all sanctions Europe is paying him that much every day towards his war bills.

IF they ever propose the Seven hydro power scheme again I hope people really try to get behind it, we need something massive scale like that. The tidal range on the Seven is number one in the world, its gifted to us but we arent using it despite UK have engineering skill and knowledge as a big plus. Because UK gets so much water, it should have been made our thing to create far more power from water decades ago.
Wind is too inconsistent, water is non stop literally the tides move on a precise schedule. Peak power costs the most so that quality of known power is important afaik

Overall the government intervention in the energy market has a cost to it. Government means taxes basically so yea the standing charge sucks for the lowest end of the market. High end they dont care, its a small percentage but saving energy firm customers comes out in that cost I guess.
The bottom line is UK has to be able to stand on its own two feet, energy security; if nothing else this current war makes it totally clear why its a bad idea to lean on distant sources because now Russia thinks they can bring back USSR and we will pay then a billion every day to do so which despite all sanctions Europe is paying him that much every day towards his war bills.

IF they ever propose the Seven hydro power scheme again I hope people really try to get behind it, we need something massive scale like that. The tidal range on the Seven is number one in the world, its gifted to us but we arent using it despite UK have engineering skill and knowledge as a big plus. Because UK gets so much water, it should have been made our thing to create far more power from water decades ago.
Wind is too inconsistent, water is non stop literally the tides move on a precise schedule. Peak power costs the most so that quality of known power is important afaik

Why was it rejected?

Back
Top Bottom