Energy Suppliers

Thank you, also this quote got my attention.

Moreover as a
Page 5 of 75
Severn scheme could not be constructed in time to contribute to the UK’s 2020
renewable energy target, the case to build a scheme in the immediate term is weak;

So there is a political short termism element to this as well.

The only real concern I would have in that document is the effect on wildlife, the costs should have never been an issue here because if you invest, you reap the rewards later. Fish could probably be relocated to mitigate the wildlife impact to a degree.

Got my renewal through from octopus last week. We're currently paying £155 direct debit (£1800 for the year roughly)

The figures they're giving us is £380pm for 12m fixed loyal or near enough £400pm 12m fixed non-loyal. Gas price is 3x the current unit price and electric is 2.5x the price.

Flex octopus shows £182 and a lot more reasonable. Question is can prices on variable reach 2.5x my current tariff i suppose? I am really reluctant to fix at those crazy prices when flex is showing minor increases across the board.

What have you guys chosen to do ?

Got my renewal through from octopus last week. We're currently paying £155 direct debit (£1800 for the year roughly)

The figures they're giving us is £380pm for 12m fixed loyal or near enough £400pm 12m fixed non-loyal. Gas price is 3x the current unit price and electric is 2.5x the price.

Flex octopus shows £182 and a lot more reasonable. Question is can prices on variable reach 2.5x my current tariff i suppose? I am really reluctant to fix at those crazy prices when flex is showing minor increases across the board.

What have you guys chosen to do ?

I have chosen to stay on SVR because for me I felt octopus 12 month deal was not a clear advantage, also taking into account its better to have extra money earlier than later as well. If the deal was 18 or more months at same cost as the 12 month I probably would have took it though.

A 12 month deal you basically have only one ofgem cap uplift as an unknown, since we already know the April rises.

Even if in October it was a crazy enough rise to hit 2.5x, its still only half of the 12 month duration so effectively equivalent to 1.25x spread out.

Thank you, also this quote got my attention.

So there is a political short termism element to this as well.

The only real concern I would have in that document is the effect on wildlife, the costs should have never been an issue here because if you invest, you reap the rewards later. Fish could probably be relocated to mitigate the wildlife impact to a degree.
I get the feeling a lot of politicians don't want to do it as it won't be finished in their term so they won't get the credit.

Has anyone else on Shell noticed their estimated usage on the account page has suddenly shot up? I sent them an email, but the person that responded clearly didn't read what I asked so I'm having to follow up again.

If you are a current Octopus user and are looking at gas on top of your Electricity then you can still transfer to Gas Tracker v1 with a little persistence, as per the name it is a tracker so the unit rate does fluctuate daily, but the standing charge is 15p, and average cost is ~5.8ppkWh (historical from Dec-March) and should be reasonably low over the next 6 months looking at the prediction graphs. No need for a smart meter either, as they just average the use if you don't have one, so some days you'll win, others you'll lose.

Correct, come April first we are looking at a 54% increase, in October we are expecting another 25-40% on top of that! (I work in the energy sector for one of the big 6)

You have two choices take the fix or don't and ride out the coming costs.

The expected rise is no joke, it WILL bankrupt small companies, it WILL create fuel poverty. This is not a guess it's expected!

So I take it is just best taking the hump and fix for 1 year? As with everything that is going on it is bound to get worse not better.

The meter or the hub?
The meter not sent readings for two days now, IHD shows nothing either and keeps restarting every few minutes.
I've emailed Octopus but of they can't get it working they can remove the junk and put an old fashioned one back in.

Last edited:
The meter not sent readings for two days now, IHD shows nothing either and keeps restarting every few minutes.
I've emailed Octopus but of they can't get it working they can remove the junk and put an old fashioned one back in.
You mean swap it for a non smart meter? Which basically is what a broken smart meter is? :confused:

Humans are odd.

Electric used 6217 kWh

Gas used: 12528 kWh

What should i do?

Do you have an EV?

If you don't have an EV, 6k Kwh is seriously excessive (double the average household). If you do have an EV, separate your car usage and plug it into something like Octopus Go.

Just leave the gas on the SVR with the current supplier.

Was pointed here from another thread, thank you @Puzzled

I just fixed for 24 months with my energy supplier, hoping I did the right thing, getting the feeling I didn't...

2 year fixed, £30 exit fee

Gas:

Unit rate11.4p per kWh
Standing charge27.49p per day

Electricity:

Unit rate40.21p per kWh
Standing charge44.21p per day

My bill went from an average of £170 a month, to £280 when I came out of my fixed rate in January. This new fixed rate will take it to £412.

Annual estimated usage:

Gas = 19028.37 kWh
Electricity = 5922 kWh

My thinking, which I'm happy to admit to being wrong on, is that I now know the worst case. If I trim our gas and electricity usage, I will pay less. If I ride it out on standard rate, the only way is up from the present £280.

Was pointed here from another thread, thank you @Puzzled

I just fixed for 24 months with my energy supplier, hoping I did the right thing, getting the feeling I didn't...

2 year fixed, £30 exit fee

Gas:

Unit rate11.4p per kWh
Standing charge27.49p per day

Electricity:

Unit rate40.21p per kWh
Standing charge44.21p per day

My bill went from an average of £170 a month, to £280 when I came out of my fixed rate in January. This new fixed rate will take it to £412.

Annual estimated usage:

Gas = 19028.37 kWh
Electricity = 5922 kWh

My thinking, which I'm happy to admit to being wrong on, is that I now know the worst case. If I trim our gas and electricity usage, I will pay less. If I ride it out on standard rate, the only way is up from the present £280.

Have you calculated how much extra you are paying from now till October?

I can't see prices increasing much beyond your fixed rates in October. So you are hoping that in year 2 prices go up again to make paying more now worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom