Energy Suppliers

I'm thinking of switching over to Octopus.

Currently with British Gas. Have gen1 smart meters which don't work. BG promised they had a fix in progress ETA January but they still don't work and I'm fed up of complaining about it.

If I switch to Octopus onto their standard tariff, I have nothing to lose right? Then can consider other tariff options later?

Will they fix my smart meters?
You can check on the DCC website, which links to citizens advice, to see if they have had the update to make them compatible. Just requires the MPAN and postcode.

Octopus managed to get readings from our SMETS1 meters, which is something that EON either couldn’t or wouldn’t do, despite the update.

Last edited:
gas 3.39p today on octopus tracker!

Saying that, I havent used any gas since the 21st and that was only 0.05m3. Last real usage was 17th May (when I left the patio doors open and the heating came on!)
Diverter is sending excess solar to tank and giving me free hot water as well as nigh on free house elec usage.

If gas stays this cheap I will be turning the diverter off however and selling my excess elec and go back to gas heating my water.

Reactions: TNA
British gas are annoying, similar issues to other people
  • Auto changed to BG when companies went bust during COVID/Ukraine. SMart meter stopped working and been trying to get it fixed for.....well over a year.
  • Ages on hold, doing account migrations in the week rather than over the long weekend. Yesterday I had no bills, no records. No one could help.
  • Getting sent to roundabout departments and links.
  • They always seem to adjust your direct debit so you are always in the red. Makes you less likely to leave them if you have to settle up. Mine is £460 in debit and i'm sure it's to make me think twice about switching. Well it wont work.
Time for a switch to Octopus methinks

Last edited:
Time for a switch to Octopus methinks

Definitely a good idea, every supplier has issues not even Octopus is perfect, but I've been able to sort out any issues fairly painlessly over the phone or via Twitter DM for live chat, both have had reasonably quick responses, especially compared to how poor similar avenues have been with the larger suppliers.

I was with EDF before, and they use Whatsapp chat. I sent them a message, had a wait time of more than 8 hours, and then when they reply, if you don't see it and reply fast they just close the chat! I think they replied to me at like 6AM when I was sleeping! :cool:

Twitter DM feels much better as the chat it persistent so if you're busy and reply later, it doesn't just vanish.

Last edited:
octopus have alwasy been pretty quick with sorting issues i have reported....even had an email after a call within 48hrs telling me when my Mini will arrive and where i am on the tracker waiting list. Can't ask for more than that really

Octopus couldn't fit my electric smart meter yesterday, having to get SSE out to replace the meter board which is pretty annoying.

Happened to me also. Basically had to rescrew the wooden board on. Simple job, but guy said he was not allowed to touch it. Wanted a whole month as a result.

Once you get a date SSE is coming book the next day for the smart meter to save time.

Anyone else seeing different unit prices on their smart meter versus EON Next tariff page?

I was just about to start a switch to Ocotopus for about the 20th time (a serious topic given I have a 700 debit with EON lol) but according to EONs tariff page; I am actually 80p better off for the last 100 days of usage by staying put...

Happened to me also. Basically had to rescrew the wooden board on. Simple job, but guy said he was not allowed to touch it. Wanted a whole month as a result.

Once you get a date SSE is coming book the next day for the smart meter to save time.
Two screws at the top had come out, looked very simple if you could remove the board to fit new plugs but as its all free may as well let them do it as I don't want to give them any excuses to blame me for something.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Anyone else seeing different unit prices on their smart meter versus EON Next tariff page?

I was just about to start a switch to Ocotopus for about the 20th time (a serious topic given I have a 700 debit with EON lol) but according to EONs tariff page; I am actually 80p better off for the last 100 days of usage by staying put...
wouldn't you try and pay that off, rather than start another switch knowing it probably wont go through, due to the debit??

wouldn't you try and pay that off, rather than start another switch knowing it probably wont go through, due to the debit??
Yeah I'd clear the debt if the savings outweighed the cost of capital (I could do with the 700 quid in my bank acc tbh).

However I've just logged into EON and they've offered me a tariff from June 1st that is significantly cheaper than what I am on now? I mean wtf, I just don't understand how this works - do I need to sign in periodically to "Flex" down; but they'll flex me up as prices increase? :S

S75OYoL.png

The "blow out" is current tariff; below is "new" tariff...

Yeah I'd clear the debt if the savings outweighed the cost of capital (I could do with the 700 quid in my bank acc tbh).

However I've just logged into EON and they've offered me a tariff from June 1st that is significantly cheaper than what I am on now? I mean wtf, I just don't understand how this works - do I need to sign in periodically to "Flex" down; but they'll flex me up as prices increase? :S

S75OYoL.png

Are they getting in early on the drop in prices possibly?

S75OYoL.png

not sure what the day and night rate times are, but those prices still look high to me

Two screws at the top had come out, looked very simple if you could remove the board to fit new plugs but as its all free may as well let them do it as I don't want to give them any excuses to blame me for something.

Exactly. I just let them deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom