Energy Suppliers

I switched to Octopus recently, too. We've had a smart meter for years, and they are literally the first and only company who've shown us an actual usage breakdown. Nice. :)
Yep when we moved in here it was scottish power and took us months to get an actual bill from them.

Switched to Octopus and whilst I've needed to contact them a few times the calls are always answered lightning fast compared to the bigger names.
The 50 for a referall from a current customer goes down well too :)

I'm currently on flexible octopus but does anyone know if its worth signing up to these saving session things?

I had a fixed Octopus Agile contract that will be ending in 30th June. Happy with Agile, Standing Charge was 21p per day, which is going up to 44p if I renew. I assume there is nothing better from Octopus. PS no electric car, battery, solar. house of 2 adults, below average 3000 KWH per a year consumption.

Will most likely take the deal as there is no exit fee, can then reassess if standing charges come down later this year.
Leccy:

Flexible Octopus​

Flexible Octopus November 2022 v1
Prices follow wholesale costs

31.92p/kWh55.39p/day

Gas:

YOUR TARIFF​

Flexible Octopus​

10.24p/kWh27.47p/day
(All rates inc. VAT)

Looking at the octopus tariffs this is hte only one they offer atm using my postcode

Last edited:
Leccy:

Flexible Octopus​

31.92p/kWh55.39p/day

Gas:

YOUR TARIFF​

Flexible Octopus​

10.24p/kWh27.47p/day
(All rates inc. VAT)

Looking at the octopus tariffs this is hte only one they offer atm using my postcode
Are you a current customer of octopus???

Yep when we moved in here it was scottish power and took us months to get an actual bill from them.

Switched to Octopus and whilst I've needed to contact them a few times the calls are always answered lightning fast compared to the bigger names.
The 50 for a referall from a current customer goes down well too :)

I'm currently on flexible octopus but does anyone know if its worth signing up to these saving session things?

Savings sessions finished in March,
They may reappear in Oct time.

There is a thread specifically for savings sessions in home and garden

Savings sessions finished in March,
They may reappear in Oct time.

There is a thread specifically for savings sessions in home and garden
LOL!

I was just checking my account and it gave me a popup for saving sessions to join up.
Reading the T+Cs says:

1. The Service period will start at 00:01 on Tuesday 1st November 2022 and will end at 23:59 on 31st March 2023.
oops! :p

Wow didn't realise SC had gotten so high! 60p/day now?

Anyone on standard flexible pricing should look at Agile import if they have nothing special such as EV/Solar etc.

This is never more expensive than SVR pricing per unit, but is often less.

Last edited:
Aye looks like its a winter type jobby will keep an eye out :)

Hack you say? AM I whacking a big magnet to the side of the meter? :p

I use the term hack very loosely

You need to understand how the system works in order to maximise the benefits lets say
It could change for next year however but I suspect it will still exist

Hi guys. A friend gave me a link to Octopus Agile where we would both get £50 if I sign up. He said I'd save money by going with Agile. According to moneysavingexpert,
"the rates you pay change every 30 minutes based on a forecast of wholesale prices for the next day, including nationwide demand for electricity throughout the day – meaning cheaper rates in off-peak periods, usually overnight or in the afternoon, but higher prices in the morning and evening."

I've just checked but Agile is only for electricity and I have a dual gas and electric tariff with E.ON Next. My tariff with E ON Next is :

Electricity​

Next Flex
33.98 p/kWh 43.66 p/day
(All rates inc. VAT)

Gas​

Next Flex
10.20 p/kWh 29.11 p/day
(All rates inc. VAT)

Should I change my electric to Octopus Agile and if so, what about my gas, should I stay with E.ON or does Octopus offer a better tariff? I guess I can't do worse though by changing?

Hi guys. A friend gave me a link to Octopus Agile where we would both get £50 if I sign up. He said I'd save money by going with Agile. According to moneysavingexpert,
"the rates you pay change every 30 minutes based on a forecast of wholesale prices for the next day, including nationwide demand for electricity throughout the day – meaning cheaper rates in off-peak periods, usually overnight or in the afternoon, but higher prices in the morning and evening."

I've just checked but Agile is only for electricity and I have a dual gas and electric tariff with E.ON Next. My tariff with E ON Next is :

Electricity​

Next Flex
33.98 p/kWh 43.66 p/day
(All rates inc. VAT)

Gas​

Next Flex
10.20 p/kWh 29.11 p/day
(All rates inc. VAT)

Should I change my electric to Octopus Agile and if so, what about my gas, should I stay with E.ON or does Octopus offer a better tariff? I guess I can't do worse though by changing?

I would just switch both over, you are not getting anything better than bog standard rates from Eon at the moment really.

Agile will save you money as the max price it can be is £0.34/kWh but it's often less, on average it will be cheaper. It's a bit of a no-brain move that has no downsides.

There aren't a lot of options for Gas but look at the Gas tracker, there is a waiting list but you can join it once you're signed up with Octopus. Link is https://octopus.energy/smart/tracker/. Tracker rates change daily so not necessarily always going to win, but currently it's much lower than SVR at around 4p/kWh.

Last edited:

Electricity​

Next Flex
33.98 p/kWh 43.66 p/day
(All rates inc. VAT)

Gas​

Next Flex
10.20 p/kWh 29.11 p/day
(All rates inc. VAT)

You should switch electric to Octopus Agile, and gas to Octopus Tracker if you can, I'm paying 4p/kwh for gas on tracker today. (I am not sure what the gas tracker waiting list is like)

Thanks HungryHippos and Sinbad.

Ok cool, I'll sign up for Agile for my electric and then put myself on the tracker waiting list. Meanwhile, will E.ON Next automatically switch my gas from dual tariff to some standard gas tariff?

Edit: oh the sign up form for Octopus is asking me if I need gas and electric so I guess it can swap me on both anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks HungryHippos and Sinbad.

Ok cool, I'll sign up for Agile for my electric and then put myself on the tracker waiting list. Meanwhile, will E.ON Next automatically switch my gas from dual tariff to some standard gas tariff?

Edit: oh the sign up form for Octopus is asking me if I need gas and electric so I guess it can swap me on both anyway.

Just swap over both imo, one less supplier to contact in case of issues.

Just swap over both imo, one less supplier to contact in case of issues.

Thing is, this sign up form just gave me two quotes. I tried electric only first and it's given me a quote for 'flexible' Octopus. And then flexible Octopus again for gas and electric. Not much difference in the prices from E.ON, only slightly less. But I wanted Octopus Agile quotes which it's not giving me.

Thing is, this sign up form just gave me two quotes. I tried electric only first and it's given me a quote for 'flexible' Octopus. And then flexible Octopus again for gas and electric. Not much difference in the prices from E.ON, only slightly less. But I wanted Octopus Agile quotes which it's not giving me.
you have to be a customer first, before you can sign upto agile

Back
Top Bottom