Energy Suppliers

Are they getting in early on the drop in prices possibly?
Possibly? Octopus is offering closer to what I am currently on but worse than what EON has randomly made appear on their portal....

£49.20 worse off then as you will get a nice £50 for moving to octopus
I'll make more keeping the £700 in savings but once the debit is gone I will switch.

not sure what the day and night rate times are, but those prices still look high to me

Ad3LkGt.png

Octopus is about the same as what I was on; but more expensive than what I've just signed up for.

Totally forgot intelligent Octopus exists..........that is a sizeable saving on EV charging. If EON tell me the tariff malarky was a mistake I'll just find the cash and bin this current deal.

Having left British Gas back in Feb, I finally got my "final bill" through where they owe me hundreds of pounds. Complete jokers. They've been sitting on my money earning interest because they unnecessarily imposed high direct debits on me where I built up credit. I actually got some automated letter sent to me a month or two ago saying because they took so long to generate the final bill, here's £30 compensation. Not sure if this is some industry requirement thing now where they have to compensate over X days delay.

With Octopus, still not been able to get a Gas smart meter or in home display. When I phoned a couple of times before they claimed there were no appointments in my area at the time and to go on the website to check from time to time. I haven't been able to work out how to do that, or if that's even a thing. I've only ever been able to find a button to click to register interest, which does nothing.

I'm still on the tracker Octopus rates for now. I don't think the July price cap changes will affect this in anyway? Seems the tracker is still notably cheaper and worth being on if you managed to already get on it?

I'm meant to be having smart meters fitted next week, but I have been informed that my electricity meter and fuseboard are sat on an asbestos backing board and Octopus will not touch it.
Just had to get in touch with National Grid to see how far down they are going to pull my pants to replace it!

I'm loving the openness and sector disrupting Octopus. Their REST API access is a boon and I've already setup automation to collect data and calculate costs for usage. Marvellous.

I'm meant to be having smart meters fitted next week, but I have been informed that my electricity meter and fuseboard are sat on an asbestos backing board and Octopus will not touch it.
Just had to get in touch with National Grid to see how far down they are going to pull my pants to replace it!
At least you got told I’m still waiting 4 years later for an explanation. The meter engineer literally just left after a few minutes saying Octopus will contact me.

I know lots have had positive experiences but the customer service I received was atrocious. Luckily I don’t need them.

Last edited:
EON have retained their chocolate teapots in CS.

I asked them why I hadn't got the rate offered. He said you had. He then replied with the rate I had previously and asked what rate I thought I had. I said the rate he confirmed I had.

Think he is at peak confusion now.

Last edited:

Get it tested. Is there a specific label on it already or is the just an opinion of a fitter?

The saga continues with EON...........
EON have retained their chocolate teapots in CS.

I asked them why I hadn't got the rate offered. He said you had. He then replied with the rate I had previously and asked what rate I thought I had. I said the rate he confirmed I had.

Think he is at peak confusion now.
"have just investigated this issue for you and it turns out it seems to be a tech issue. I am so sorry for the misleading promotion"

So they seemingly have no change control over tariffs on their website.

Edit: they reckon the price is active from 1st July.......!

Last edited:

"have just investigated this issue for you and it turns out it seems to be a tech issue. I am so sorry for the misleading promotion"

Sorry to keep spamming on this! EON have offered me £30 compensation to apologise for screwing up; has anyone "done better"?

I should be surprised with how bad these companies IT systems can be, but I work with big name firms and every day I see exactly the reason things are like this.

so are the prices actually reduced , at all - or, the benefit is that it is fixed for 12? months
new tarif same as the old tarif V

Seems it may have just been a bug or something about how VAT is applied?

gevkBrU.png

so are the prices actually reduced , at all - or, the benefit is that it is fixed for 12? months
new tarif same as the old tarif V
Yeah the advertised tariff was the dull white area of this screen below (at the bottom of the image, ignore the bright bit) - i.e. 40p a kwh day and 14p a kwh night with 7.4p gas):

This was still fully variable tariff.

EDF aren't any better, 28 days since switching away and no final bill yet. 14 more days then £30 compensation. Tick tock..

Why its taking so long when we have smart meters on both gas and electric I'll never know.

I'm thinking of switching over to Octopus.

Currently with British Gas. Have gen1 smart meters which don't work. BG promised they had a fix in progress ETA January but they still don't work and I'm fed up of complaining about it.

If I switch to Octopus onto their standard tariff, I have nothing to lose right? Then can consider other tariff options later?

Will they fix my smart meters?
Same situation. I've been waiting since March 2021 to get my smart meter fixed after British Gas took over my account. Over a year. It isn't going to happen

I'm thinking of joining Ocotpus and saying 'I've never had a smart meter'. This will get it installed quicker as OFGEM have a target to get all houses fitted with one by 2025. Repairing one is low down their list (well over a year for me!! and I call BG EVERY MONTH)

British gas are annoying, similar issues to other people
  • Auto changed to BG when companies went bust during COVID/Ukraine. SMart meter stopped working and been trying to get it fixed for.....well over a year.
  • Ages on hold, doing account migrations in the week rather than over the long weekend. Yesterday I had no bills, no records. No one could help.
  • Getting sent to roundabout departments and links.
  • They always seem to adjust your direct debit so you are always in the red. Makes you less likely to leave them if you have to settle up. Mine is £460 in debit and i'm sure it's to make me think twice about switching. Well it wont work.
Time for a switch to Octopus methinks

Question all, i'm sick of BG. What's best for me with Octopus?

I have a neighbour who is going to refer me for the £50.

I have solar panels. Do I need to pick an appropiate tarriff now (if so which?)? Or apply now and switch after. My solar isn't that hugh, like 2.2kw

Anything else to be aware of? Get on the waiting list early for that fangled new device that works with the phone?

I have solar panels. Do I need to pick an appropiate tarriff now (if so which?)? Or apply now and switch after. My solar isn't that hugh, like 2.2kw

Anything else to be aware of? Get on the waiting list early for that fangled new device that works with the phone?
you have to switch to octopus on the flexible tariff first. Once your a customer, other customer tariffs will be available to you

I think the complete list of Elec tariffs is :
Agile, highly volatile market tracking 30 min priced tariff, will normally work out decently below standard especially if you can keep usage low between 4-7pm
Flux, solar based tariff but its probably not worth it with a small solar array, especially if no batteries (although its really a comparison of usage to generation)
Go, EV focussed tariff with a cheap period over night, suits solar if you have batteries to charge, especially in the winter, might be some barriers to entry (views vary)
Intelligent, specific EV tariff like Go but needs specific equipment to join
Flexible, their standard tariff in effect
Cosy, heatpump focussed tariff with 2 windows of cheaper units, needs a heatpump to join

Gas;
Flexible, as above
Tracker, tracks market daily but has a queue to get onto

Back
Top Bottom