Energy Suppliers

Thing is, this sign up form just gave me two quotes. I tried electric only first and it's given me a quote for 'flexible' Octopus. And then flexible Octopus again for gas and electric. Not much difference in the prices from E.ON, only slightly less. But I wanted Octopus Agile quotes which it's not giving me.

Yup just sign up on the SVR first then move over to Agile after, the shift over is pretty quick.

How long does it normally take for Octopus to see your smart meter? I switched over to them 8 days ago now and nothing yet. It says up to 2 weeks on the dashboard but I'm skeptical that by this time next week it'll be any different, especially as there's two gas meters listed aswell (one is the current smart gas meter and the other our old meter from when we were with them in 2020).

The one thing you can do is once you know your switch is in progress (ie have an account) is contact the CS people and say your planning to move to agile, can they send you a signup link please
That way you can switch the moment you know you are live
Thanks, I just signed up and the switch is starting so I'll now get onto customer services. Is there a customer service phone number you know of or is it all email?

Going to be an expensive month. Octopus are going to take £140.13 from me on the 26th just for what I suppose amounts to a deposit. But then they'll adjust future bills down. Then E.ON Next for some reason didn't debit my February to March to April gas bill. So on 1st June they're taking £180 for that, plus £115 for my April to May gas!

How long does it normally take for Octopus to see your smart meter? I switched over to them 8 days ago now and nothing yet. It says up to 2 weeks on the dashboard but I'm skeptical that by this time next week it'll be any different, especially as there's two gas meters listed aswell (one is the current smart gas meter and the other our old meter from when we were with them in 2020).

I had this exact situation with gas as well
They eventually sorted it
Both smart were picked up within 24 hours for me

Thanks, I just signed up and the switch is starting so I'll now get onto customer services. Is there a customer service phone number you know of or is it all email?

Going to be an expensive month. Octopus are going to take £140.13 from me on the 26th just for what I suppose amounts to a deposit. But then they'll adjust future bills down. Then E.ON Next for some reason didn't debit my February to March to April gas bill. So on 1st June they're taking £180 for that, plus £115 for my April to May gas!

If your on twitter then a DM is best
Otherwise I think its [email protected] for email

If your on twitter then a DM is best
Otherwise I think its [email protected] for email
Thanks. I've just emailed them and said:

"Hello,

I've just signed up to Octopus Energy. This is my new account number:

x-xxxxxxxxx

I'm thinking of moving to Octopus Agile once my account has gone live. Could you kindly send me a sign up link for Octopus Agile? Could you also link me to Octopus Tracker for your best gas tariff so I may get on the waiting list for that? Many thanks.

Kind regards, "

Thanks. I've just emailed them and said:

"Hello,

I've just signed up to Octopus Energy. This is my new account number:

x-xxxxxxxxx

I'm thinking of moving to Octopus Agile once my account has gone live. Could you kindly send me a sign up link for Octopus Agile? Could you also link me to Octopus Tracker for your best gas tariff so I may get on the waiting list for that? Many thanks.

Kind regards, "

I didn't get much luck with email, yours may be different. My emails kind of went into a black hole lol.

I definitely found it best to DM them on twitter or phone them up. Both were pretty good.

Wow didn't realise SC had gotten so high! 60p/day now?

Anyone on standard flexible pricing should look at Agile import if they have nothing special such as EV/Solar etc.

This is never more expensive than SVR pricing per unit, but is often less.
Its really concerning especially for lighter users.

When I renewed my agile the calculation system for reporting estimated costs was not looked at properly by the dev's, my email had unit price as <null> so instead it showed my estimated costs of SC only.

£13 something a month, £167 something a year. Thats just electric SC.

I calculated based on average agile rates for past week, the SC rise from the older 21p day agile tariff is about the same as me using an extra 1.5 units a day of electric, which is basically an increase of 25% on my average electric bill. Thats just the increase, the entire amount of the SC works out at about half of my electric bill, for gas my SC is currently just under half of my gas bill.

Energy Used* 125.7 kWh @ 4.86p/kWh† £6.11 Standing Charge 21 days @ 25.92p/day £5.44

So after 1st July when my new tariff kicks in for electric probably on average 40% of my dual energy bill will be SC.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of switching over to Octopus.

Currently with British Gas. Have gen1 smart meters which don't work. BG promised they had a fix in progress ETA January but they still don't work and I'm fed up of complaining about it.

If I switch to Octopus onto their standard tariff, I have nothing to lose right? Then can consider other tariff options later?

Will they fix my smart meters?

I'm thinking of switching over to Octopus.

Currently with British Gas. Have gen1 smart meters which don't work. BG promised they had a fix in progress ETA January but they still don't work and I'm fed up of complaining about it.

If I switch to Octopus onto their standard tariff, I have nothing to lose right? Then can consider other tariff options later?

Will they fix my smart meters?

Nothing to lose as far as I know. You gain a much better company though. Plus £50 cashback from referral.

There is a good chance they will fix the smart meters yes.

AFAIK its not the energy company fixing the SMs but another industry wide initiative.
However the thing with Octopus is they don't just shove everything into the too hard pile so you have a pretty good chance they will follow through and if its possible they can work they will get them to work.

Its quite possible they would work now but BG needs to fix their end of the system (IE the logging to detect your meter) and CBA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom