Energy Suppliers

What's the deal with gas smart meters, installed over 2 weeks ago and still not working. They couldn't do the electric one on the day but that shouldn't make a difference or does it?

What's the deal with gas smart meters, installed over 2 weeks ago and still not working. They couldn't do the electric one on the day but that shouldn't make a difference or does it?

I could be wrong but I think they may have said the gas piggybacks off the elec to keep its energy usage down (its obviously limited in the power it has)

The electric meter has the communications hub attached to it.

The gas meter relays its reading to the electric meter and the electric sends it out via the mobile network. The gas meter is battery powered and the electric has its own supply.

If you don’t have an electric smart meter, it doesn’t work at all. I’m surprised they even installed the gas meter because it’s useless on its own.

Last edited:
it's the slow update rate 30mins on the gas smart that's annoying - you cant easily tell if your boiler is modulating, or just turning on/off less efficiently.

Sorry if there’s a more appropriate thread for this, I couldn’t find one.

EDF provides me with an energy breakdown in the app, letting me know what I use the most electricity on. Over the last 31 days, it seems I’ve used £30 for cooking, and £27 on laundry, along with £2 on lighting etc. My question is how the hell can it know? Are these just guesses?
Presumably based on the profile of your power spikes. e.g. an oven will be 2kW for an hour or two, dishwasher will be 1kW for an hour.

Presumably based on the profile of your power spikes. e.g. an oven will be 2kW for an hour or two, dishwasher will be 1kW for an hour.

Its far more spiky and actually interesting to see how similar many of the devices are

I would be hard pushed for example from my solar dashboard to split out my DW from a hot washing machine wash or a short oven cook.
Many devices when turned on will pull a fair amount, (to get up to temp) but then drop down with just a few more spikes as they say refresh the water, or top the temp back up etc

Thats based on 5 minute cycles. I suspect EDF just make it up based on 30 minute readings!

So I'm hoping to be moving to a house with 4kw Solar installed.
It's on a 2017 or 2018 FiT which from what I can tell, isn't competitive with today's market, although I've not generation or usage figures to help calc.

I don't have an EV, and there will be usage throughout the day everyday (1 person) plus 2 other working from home 2-3dpw.

Any recommendations on supplier / tariff?

Using AI to identify signature of the home electricity appliances is the thing -> https://www.informetis.com/en/

sorry darling we need to cook the meal at 10pm when the juice is cheap, you can watch that catch-up tv series afterwards, in the meantime we are in power saving mode.

e:

if you can train an AI to recognise objects etc you can make a model that can determine from total energy usage what someone is doing.
already exists saw a demo in Cambridge symposium about 5 years ago informetis

Agile was for the last year or so tracking the price cap far more closely than historically.
There are places around that you can download the history, I would do that and have a look.
Its also not fixed, so should it end up being a bad call you can drop to the normal tariff pretty easily.

Its got some risk, but IMO it is pretty low since your not locked in and can leave at any time fee free.

So it's easy enough to switch to Flexible Octopus if Agile isn't working out?

I was considering the Tracker tariff but not sure about the new terms for the July signup.

So it's easy enough to switch to Flexible Octopus if Agile isn't working out?

I was considering the Tracker tariff but not sure about the new terms for the July signup.

Historically yes. You would need to check the T&Cs now just to ensure they haven't been changed but that was the historical position yes.

So I'm hoping to be moving to a house with 4kw Solar installed.
It's on a 2017 or 2018 FiT which from what I can tell, isn't competitive with today's market, although I've not generation or usage figures to help calc.

I don't have an EV, and there will be usage throughout the day everyday (1 person) plus 2 other working from home 2-3dpw.

Any recommendations on supplier / tariff?

Most of us probably on Octopus.

They have tracker options and such, as well as the best smart tariffs around for things like EV/Solar/Heat Pumps in my opinion.

Anyone with OVO?

We went with them in our new place but our smart meter has never worked - I'm assuming it's an older one, we have a British Gas IHD if that means anything. It connects to the meter so I can quickly grab readings but doesn't show any kind of live usage. Would love to be able to get it to work.

I've spoke to them about 3 times about getting a new IHD from them or getting the meter changed so the smart stuff works and nothing ever happens. Getting a bit annoyed now.

Anyone had any luck?

Also are the variable tariffs still the best ones to be on? Or should we be locking in new rates?

Not a great start on the new meters. They were installed Monday afternoon and the 30 minute data showed on the app until about 2am yesterday, then nothing is showing. Electricity meter has 4 blinking lights on the Comms hub part, no idea what they mean but assume it's a problem given data only came through for a few hours then stopped.

Not a great start on the new meters. They were installed Monday afternoon and the 30 minute data showed on the app until about 2am yesterday, then nothing is showing. Electricity meter has 4 blinking lights on the Comms hub part, no idea what they mean but assume it's a problem given data only came through for a few hours then stopped.
data isnt live......but will be updated the following day and can take up until around tea time to come through.

So no you dont have any problems

Back
Top Bottom