Energy Suppliers

Question is what is home assistant and how to install it, but I guess can google it.
'just' need to get a conbee usb plugin £20 for a laptop, you could then harvest and record electricity data with precision of a minute,
import it into excel, overlay days .... data heaven. (energy cost for shepherds pie vs pizza vs sunday roast ....)
I am now motivated to get a smart meter from Octopus.

2023-06-21-12-55-39-My-Drive-Google-Drive.png

This is the summer time issue I think

Octopus do something weird with it.
Ie its like they process 24 hours worth to display based on GMT so when we switch to BST you get an hour of today a day early.

Quite possible the meters themselves stick to GMT at all times?

Just had email from octopus about the new charges from 1st July.

Electricity 29.6p down from 32.8p. Not a lot.

Gas 7.4p down from 10.2p. this makes a much bigger difference for me as I'm gas heating and gas oven/hob.

Standing charges unchanged in both cases. 80p a day before I've even used anything.

Octopus are also offering a 12 month fix just slightly above the July rates. But I wonder if rates are on the decline now and it's better to wait longer.

Last edited:
For me it will still be 1500 over what it used to be. Although it will still be 700 a year less than it is now.

Sounds about right

Recent predictions are those prices are kind of here to stay into 2024

Gas is seemingly a little volatile right now based on the Octopus tracker.

Assuming no gov help the coming winter will be very similar to last on net bills once the £66 we won't be getting is taken into account.

eon now have some fixed deals - had looked it up after earlier post by buxter

it's all clandestine because they can't offer these deals to new eon customers, as they'd become liable for ofgen stabilization charges,
obliged to payout to existing supplier who may have pre-purchased your energy at a higher rate.

Impressed with Octopus so far. Only switched yesterday. I wanted to drop my DD as we'll be out of here in November (hopefully), and so don't need to build up a credit for winter.

The website said to drop to £150 needed approval but didn't give me an option to request it. Dropped them an email and had a reply within 15 minutes. Only really wanted to switch for the £50 referral bonus!

Just had email from octopus about the new charges from 1st July.

Electricity 29.6p down from 32.8p. Not a lot.

Gas 7.4p down from 10.2p. this makes a much bigger difference for me as I'm gas heating and gas oven/hob.

Standing charges unchanged in both cases. 80p a day before I've even used anything.

Octopus are also offering a 12 month fix just slightly above the July rates. But I wonder if rates are on the decline now and it's better to wait longer.

How much gas heating are you using now ;)? I'm in the same setup and although I get your point, its largely not useful in the summer when theres opportunity for it to go up again in Oct. Using my monthly summer usage figures its a saving of just under £7 a month for 3 persons (hot water, cooking). The headlines of "savings of 17%" is a little miss leading since peoples usage change throughout the year. Sure if we had that price for an entire year that might be achievable but as it stands you'll be lucky to be pushing 10% cost drops in real terms for the next 3 months at least.

eon now have some fixed deals - had looked it up after earlier post by buxter

it's all clandestine because they can't offer these deals to new eon customers, as they'd become liable for ofgen stabilization charges,
obliged to payout to existing supplier who may have pre-purchased your energy at a higher rate.

On that thread they are going on about "loyalty" fixed deals yet they are all more expensive than my "nextflex" variable tariff that starts in July which has zero contract so if something better comes up I can jump. I applied for this on the 16th of June so did before the email got sent out. I haven't got any fixed deals to select either. Maybe the energy companies are making it up as they go along? It also seems my energy is some of the cheapest in the country. Why is London 2p per kWh more expensive?

7Cms1d1.png

Last edited:
How much gas heating are you using now ;)? I'm in the same setup and although I get your point, its largely not useful in the summer when theres opportunity for it to go up again in Oct. Using my monthly summer usage figures its a saving of just under £7 a month for 3 persons (hot water, cooking). The headlines of "savings of 17%" is a little miss leading since peoples usage change throughout the year. Sure if we had that price for an entire year that might be achievable but as it stands you'll be lucky to be pushing 10% cost drops in real terms for the next 3 months at least.

The shower and cooking still uses gas though. Gas dwarfs electricity for me.

7.5p feels a bit high for me to be going on the 12 month fix with though. Need to look into the gas tracker some more.

Having a nightmare with both EDF and Octopus at the moment.

EDF sent out a final bill after nearly 6 weeks that's totally wrong. We have solar yet EDF decided to ignore the smart meter data they were getting daily and add over 750kWh on. According to them we used over 20kWh a day between 1st April and 9th May. We didn't even use that before!

Then there's Octopus. 4 weeks to join as our old account was not closed in 2020. 3 weeks to read the smart meter and now 3 weeks and counting to get the export set up. They still can't see the gas smart meter data either.

I've lost count the number of times I've had to contact them both to get it sorted and have got nowhere so far. Its so frustrating.

Eon have now started a complaints process. Such a bunch of Muppets.
Okay...... so, so far I have a £30 credit, and then a £50 credit. This is all for them offering me a tariff that was unavailable until July 1st. They then put me on a fixed tariff of random variety and said "fixed". That was what got me the extra £50 sorry money. They said they've fixed it now..............and put me on another random fixed tariff that is speshul.

rYDnIIh.png

So it seems my gas is already active on this "speshul" tariff but Bright/Hugo disagree....

My maths on cheapness:
wN4zyWZ.png

So now I have rinsed EON for £80 and my debt is within fighting distance, I think I'll try and do the Octopus switch....pending the outcome on the EON numpty coming back to me and telling me if I have an exit fee lol.

I keep getting hounded by emails about fixing but I'm just not sure it's worth it now.
I would not bother. Indications are the cap will drop again in October before then rising again in January. I'm sticking with Octo Agile and hopefully getting on to Octo gas tracker shortly and then review the situation come start of Winter. With zero exit fees, all options are kept open.

Back
Top Bottom