Energy Suppliers

Morning all, I’ve been on Octopus Super Helpful Green fixed 24 for a couple of years and since adding solar panels & batteries a few months ago added Outgoing Octopus (15p) for export. The fixed rate Super Helpful Green tariff for my leccy import comes to an end first week of august. We work from home and so the 10 solar panel plus batteries cover our leccy for the day and evening generally with a small export in the summer. so Agile doesn't really seem to stack up for us.

With autumn and winter coming I don’t expect solar to be enough so I signed up for Octopus Go through the website. The idea will be to charge EV/Batteries etc during the night to take us through the day, any surplus from a sunny day then gets sold back to Octopus. I've checked the rates and signed up on the Octopus site, the tariff change request seems to register as it hits my account and the progress bar switched to ‘checking we can do half hour poll of your meter’ (they can). After a day or so progress seems to then reset and although through email the customer services initially said they can see the request when I asked for progress they just tell me the tariff I'm already on and if I want to change to go to the website. The link they send me just seems to just give me an option to change to flexible octopus or a fixed rate 12m at a pants rate.

I'm struggling to get any confirmation the change of tariff is underway or an eta. Before i resort to twitter or god forbid trying to get through on the phone has anyone have any experience with this or pointers? I’ve set the process running twice now and it just seems to vanish (or should I just chill, it will magically happen at some point :) )!

Last edited:
Morning all, I’ve been on Octopus Super Helpful Green fixed 24 for a couple of years and since adding solar panels & batteries a few months ago added Outgoing Octopus (15p) for export. The fixed rate Super Helpful Green tariff for my leccy import comes to an end first week of august. We work from home and so the 10 solar panel plus batteries cover our leccy for the day and evening generally with a small export in the summer. so Agile doesn't really seem to stack up for us.

With autumn and winter coming I don’t expect solar to be enough so I signed up for Octopus Go through the website. The idea will be to charge EV/Batteries etc during the night to take us through the day, any surplus from a sunny day then gets sold back to Octopus. I've checked the rates and signed up on the Octopus site, the tariff change request seems to register as it hits my account and the progress bar switched to ‘checking we can do half hour poll of your meter’ (they can). After a day or so progress seems to then reset and although through email the customer services initially said they can see the request when I asked for progress they just tell me the tariff I'm already on and if I want to change to go to the website. The link they send me just seems to just give me an option to change to flexible octopus or a fixed rate 12m at a pants rate.

I'm struggling to get any confirmation the change of tariff is underway or an eta. Before i resort to twitter or god forbid trying to get through on the phone has anyone have any experience with this or pointers? I’ve set the process running twice now and it just seems to vanish (or should I just chill, it will magically happen at some point :) )!
For some reason I can't find a single mention of my Go tariff on the website, but if you open the app it is crystal clear on the Usage tap.

Interesting... I'm still on the old tariff according to the app so will keep chasing them. It's just odd, there's zero communication from the acknowledging the change, eta's etc.

Third SMS appointment for a smart meter, third cancellation and second while the appointment was meant to be happening.

Would you like to rebook the appointment Sir? No, please don't contact me again :mad:

Last edited:
I am attempting to switch suppliers and have hit a problem that nobody seems able to resolve, we moved house last week and want to switch the supplier from British Gas to EDF as this will allow us to keep our fixed price deal which runs until early 2024. The switch was originally triggered on the 11th of July and I thought it was going fine but it turns out only the Electricity supply is currently in the transfer process, EDF have confirmed they requested transfer of both supplies and have tried a second time (yesterday) to request the gas transfer. British Gas ae saying they have never received a request and are blaming 'Industry' and EDF can't say much beyond they have submitted the request. EDF and British Gas have given me the same meter number and British gas have confirmed the national database holds the right details so I am at a loss to try and progress this as it seems to have fallen into the 'industry' black hole!

Anyone ever encountered something similar and got any words of wisdom?

I am attempting to switch suppliers and have hit a problem that nobody seems able to resolve, we moved house last week and want to switch the supplier from British Gas to EDF as this will allow us to keep our fixed price deal which runs until early 2024. The switch was originally triggered on the 11th of July and I thought it was going fine but it turns out only the Electricity supply is currently in the transfer process, EDF have confirmed they requested transfer of both supplies and have tried a second time (yesterday) to request the gas transfer. British Gas ae saying they have never received a request and are blaming 'Industry' and EDF can't say much beyond they have submitted the request. EDF and British Gas have given me the same meter number and British gas have confirmed the national database holds the right details so I am at a loss to try and progress this as it seems to have fallen into the 'industry' black hole!

Anyone ever encountered something similar and got any words of wisdom?
Ofgem

High level - Is it worth fixing yet?

I've been on the variable British gas rates for a couple of years... I don't have an electric car or anything and tend to spend around £112 a month for both gas/electric . Also have smart meter

Last edited:
Our current tarrif with e.ON....

Electricity - 31.19p/kWh/36.364p per day (standing)
Gas - 7.51p/kWh/27.726p per day (standing)

Edit - just tried a comparison site for the new house and it only found one offer from So Energy which would save £98 across 12 months. It's something and supposedly a green energy provider.

Edit - unit costs and standing charges with So Energy are....

Electricity - 29.2p/kWh/38.160p per day (standing)
Gas - 7.32p/kWh/29.090p per day (standing)

So cheaper kWh rates but higher standing charges.

Last edited:
Our current tarrif with e.ON....

Electricity - 31.19p/kWh/36.364p per day (standing)
Gas - 7.51p/kWh/27.726p per day (standing)

Edit - just tried a comparison site for the new house and it only found one offer from So Energy which would save £98 across 12 months. It's something and supposedly a green energy provider.

Edit - unit costs and standing charges with So Energy are....

Electricity - 29.2p/kWh/38.160p per day (standing)
Gas - 7.32p/kWh/29.090p per day (standing)

So cheaper kWh rates but higher standing charges.
What's your daily utilisation? If it's more than a kWh then you've covered the increased standing charge and any usage after that is cheaper.

I signed up for a new plan today, beginning in the 21st September. Should cost us about £130 per month (up from £82/mo), which I was pleasantly surprised by. It’s only fixed for a year, sticking with Ovo.

Hoping it’s the right decision!

Thought I’d add the tariff. I decided to pay a little more for “renewables.”

Elec: 30.08 p/kWh
Standing charge: 70.90 p/day
Gas: 7.82 p/kWh
Standing charge: 28.96 p/day

We used 2,500 kWh of electricity last year and 6,750 kWh of gas. I think the gas figure will drop as I spent some time optimising the heating system.

Last edited:
I signed up for a new plan today, beginning in the 21st September. Should cost us about £130 per month (up from £82/mo), which I was pleasantly surprised by. It’s only fixed for a year, sticking with Ovo.

We used 2,500 kWh of electricity last year and 6,750 kWh of gas. I think the gas figure will drop as I spent some time optimising the heating system.
Damn, that seems quite expensive to be fixing on.

That is outrageously expensive!

Sorry I don’t understand what point you’re making?

Just the standing charge or the rest of it?
The standing charge is robbery. The tariff is OK for electricity but poor for gas.

It depends where you live though, so relatively speaking could be OK.

Edit: here is my current offer from Octopus with zero work:

6luarEc.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom