Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Time to move on from Shell...who are being taken over by Octopus, but would it be better to move over now instead...
Elec 61.09p and Gas 7.176

Move now and get £50 by switching to Octopus early

Soldato
Move to Octopus (Tracker which today is)?:-
Elec: 42.77 standing / 17.14p kWh
Gas: 26.84 standing / 5.50p kWh

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I'm surprised Octopus haven't pulled the referral scheme until their takeover of Shell is complete. I should have done this when Bulb were being taken over by them. :o

Soldato
Oh... It's Martin Lewis' advice isn't it? ie: Use such a refer a friend link to get that £50?

If such codes aren't permitted I'll happily remove (and hartgeh3 will have to find some other means to get that £50 off)?

EDIT: Just looked at the forum T&Cs and can't see any issue?

Last edited:
Soldato
Move to Octopus (Tracker which today is)?:-
Elec: 42.77 standing / 17.14p kWh
Gas: 26.84 standing / 5.50p kWh

You're not allowed to post referral codes.
Are referral codes allowed in here?

No.

Mods have clarified that: If someone asks for one, you can offer to send them one, and then DM it to them.

We discussed this in this thread, and mods said you can't offer to send codes out, only in reply to someone who wants one and asks for it.

Soldato
I've been with Octopus for a bit over a year and very happy with them so far, I have solar so some tariffs are better for me, but the trackers have been pretty good as long as you've got a smart meter.
I'm with Octopus as well, I'm on the Flexible plan (no solar) just thinking if I should switch a fixed plan.

Soldato
I'm with Octopus as well, I'm on the Flexible plan (no solar) just thinking if I should switch a fixed plan.

Trackers are good and have routinely been cheaper than flex/svr, the only risk is that in winter the rates could go up unexpectedly and they aren't capped anywhere near the SVR, much higher cap.

Depends if you're willing to risk the odd day that could go above SVR or not I think, but I've been on gas tracker since Feb and it's never been as high as SVR, highest I've seen so far is 6.5p/kWh and that was when SVR was 10p.

If you see rates going up you can lock back onto Flex, but you can't rejoin tracker for 9 months. No exit fees.

As long as you're keeping a rough eye on prices I think it's worth going on tracker rates. Just have to highlight the pros and the cons.

Last edited:
Soldato
Trackers are good and have routinely been cheaper than flex/svr, the only risk is that in winter the rates could go up unexpectedly and they aren't capped anywhere near the SVR, much higher cap.

Depends if you're willing to risk the odd day that could go above SVR or not I think, but I've been on gas tracker since Feb and it's never been as high as SVR, highest I've seen so far is 6.5p/kWh and that was when SVR was 10p.

If you see rates going up you can lock back onto Flex, but you can't rejoin tracker for 9 months. No exit fees.

As long as you're keeping a rough eye on prices I think it's worth going on tracker rates. Just have to highlight the pros and the cons.
Thanks, as long as the rates don't go up by a silly amount I feel the same, just wanted to confirm and plus the £75 change of tariff does not help if the prices do change.

Just to give you a idea here are the rates

My Tariff

Tariff cost breakdown​

⚡ Electricity
Daily standing charge 53.96p /day
Unit rate 26.52p /kWh
Early exit fee£0
Gas
Daily standing charge 27.47p /day
Unit rate 6.83p /kWh
Early exit fee£0

Fixed Tariff

Tariff cost breakdown​

⚡ Electricity
Daily standing charge 53.96p /day
Unit rate 28.99p /kWh
Early exit fee
(For changing tariff or supplier)
£75
Gas
Daily standing charge 27.47p /day
Unit rate 6.91p /kWh
Early exit fee
(For changing tariff or supplier)
£75

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh you have to pay £75 per fuel to exit now? hmm that does of course change things a bit.

That doesn't seem like flex plan then, as flex is SVR, but they did do a fixed one that had exit fees associated.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh you have to pay £75 per fuel to exit now? hmm that does of course change things a bit.

That doesn't seem like flex plan then, as flex is SVR, but they did do a fixed one that had exit fees associated.
The plan Im on is the Flexible Octopus.

New plan is the Loyal Octopus 12M Fixed.

Octopus never charged a exit fee's in the past, looks like they are following the rest now.

Soldato
The plan Im on is the Flexible Octopus.

New plan is the Loyal Octopus 12M Fixed.

Octopus never charged a exit fee's in the past, looks like they are following the rest now.

The one you've linked is not tracker, the tracker tariffs are called tracker and they have £0 exit fee.

https://octopus.energy/smart/tracker/

There is 1 for gas and 1 for electric, you can do them in any combo of 1, the other, or both, in your case I'd say probably just do both.

Last edited:
Soldato
The one you've linked is not tracker, the tracker tariffs are called tracker and they have £0 exit fee.

https://octopus.energy/smart/tracker/

There is 1 for gas and 1 for electric, you can do them in any combo of 1, the other, or both, in your case I'd say probably just do both.
Thanks,

I've not looked into Tracker before (let me take a look).
How have you found it over the past year ?
What are the rates like compared to standard variable ?
Would it be a better choice compared the variable flexible plan ?

Soldato
Thanks,

I've not looked into Tracker before (let me take a look).
How have you found it over the past year ?
What are the rates like compared to standard variable ?
Would it be a better choice compared the variable flexible plan ?

Plug in your area here, good site, also tells you the next day's prices (variable times).

Soldato
Plug in your area here, good site, also tells you the next day's prices (variable times).

Thanks, I could only seeing the fixed option when looking at switching tariffs, I could not even find the tracker option.
Will take a look tomorrow, it seam lower, just wondering how often did the price go above the Ofgem Energy Price Cap, since its not protected ?
also how do I find the Daily standing charge ?

anything else I should be aware of ?

Back
Top Bottom