1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Energy Suppliers...

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by craig_t, Jan 12, 2016.

1. maddness

Soldato

So I heard Octopus is good, I might join up with them

2. b0rn2sk8

Mobster

They just jacked up the price, not that cheap anymore.

3. Uther

Sgarrista

EON did that to me, from £76 to £150 a month! Of course, when I left them a few months later I was in credit by quite a bit. Conning ********!

4. wesley

Soldato

so all are moving to 2 price tiers, summer and winter ?

5. Kol

Don

They did this to me (well, it increased by ten quid), but I'm in plenty of credit and am not using that kind of energy, so I just logged in and reduced my payment back to what it was.

6. Maccy

Commissario

Right I need to sort my switch out, the ones that are able to offer referrals are they worth it and well priced?

7. wedrum

Mobster

i can give you a bulb referral should you choose them, £50 each.

8. Kainz

Capodecina

I went with Octopus from British Gas back in September. The whole process was smooth sailing and I am paying £125 a month for both gas/elec under a fixed tariff. Wish I'd done this sooner tbh as I've been with BG for just over 10yrs... :o

9. Kermit

Wise Guy

I guess a referral is better than no referral. I can offer a Pure Planet referral (£25 Amazon to each of us). I frequently recheck my usage against MoneySupermarkets comparison and Energylinx comparision and Im still on the best tarrif. Money Supermarket in fact shows +£88 as cheapest tariff and only shows Bulb @£0 when you widen the search to include not just "tariffs you can switch to today" although just looked again and can't find that option.

Still oil prices have fallen in recent days and Pure from what I read buy their enery on the day market (probably not months ahead) and as in general terms gas price closely follows oil prices (possibly not so much in Winter), I'm hoping prices come down if not just yet, in the Spring as Pure customers pay what Pure itself pays for the actual energy and although they dont do fixed tarifs I'm hedging my bets gas or elec (or both) will drop soon :p

Eitherway, its probably just £10 one way or the other a month it might go up or down in the next 4-6 months

10. Dodger

Gangster

It seems the general consensus is to go with PP due to the price hike with Octopus Energy?
    If so, does anyone have a referral code for PP please?

Also, general thoughts...am I making the right decision to go with PP?

Thanks.

11. Kermit

Wise Guy

Possibly the right choice, only you can decide but I do think their pricing method is fair and transparent.

PP referral link sent. Thanks if you use :)

12. Dodger

Gangster

Thank you Kermit :)

Yep, it is pretty much playing the game each year by the looks of it with energy suppliers...

13. Maccy

Commissario

Well I went with Bulb, one of the lucky ones who flooded my Trust with a referral code was picked ;)

14. cheesyboy

Capodecina

15. Kermit

Wise Guy

I tend to agree. This is Henry Hub Natural Gas chart vs WTI Oil and Heating oil over the last year. As you can see Gas tends to fairly closely track the cost of oil but for some reason the last few months its shot skywards although its tradectory to seems to be on a correction path now.

*Note the 5 year chart for gas/oil tracking each other is similar curves

[​IMG]

16. Mr.E.

Wise Guy

I'm with Economy Energy and I've been reading that they may be in a bad way. The problem for me is that I'm in credit to about £500+ !

What will happen if they go bust ? Also can I cancel my next DD ?

17. cheesyboy

Capodecina

You'll likely lose that £500 if they go bust. I'd look to extract it one way or another. Reduce your monthly payments down to nothing, or leave.

18. Uther

Sgarrista

Looks like I'll stick with Bulb for now then, with oil prices dropping. I think they are quite proactive with price reductions (and increases!)

19. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Yeah, I stuck with them too - I'm electric only, so wasn't hit too badly by the increases anyway, with it being mostly on the gas side.

20. wesimmo

Wise Guy

Stop your DDs now if I were you.

They can't chase you if you're in credit anyway and they're bad enough at paying people what they owe even while they're operating.

However don't the Ombudsman appoint another energy company to take over people's accounts if a company fails? I thought Scottish Power were just given a small supplier's customer base when they failed.

Edit: yes they were and all credit balances will be honoured. Though don't expect Economy Energy to have your account in order.

https://utilityweek.co.uk/scottish-power-takes-extra-energys-customers/