1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Energy Suppliers...

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by craig_t, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Simon

Capodecina

Hope you guys on none fixed prices can fix soon. Did you see the gas price over the last week ?

2. Kermit

Wise Guy

Finally found an officail Wholesale Gas Price chart

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/data-portal/wholesale-market-indicators

The thing that grabs my attention is that while prices are fairly high atm (62p/therm) they've been higher in 2013 (86p/therm) and anther peak in 2015 (53p/therm) and I'd hazzard a guess when those rises occured we got the usual Utilities price increases accross the board but when they dipped afterwards, did we get any decreases? I think I recall one price decrease in the last 8-10 years but probably 10+ increases usually in the 2-5% range all of which in my mind adds up to a lot of compounded increases vs 1 decrease. against a fairly flat looking overall price over the last 10 years.

Is someone able to perhaps correlate this graph against for example British Gas's tarrif over the same period as I do think we're being screwed with not getting corresponding price decreases when prices go down but almost immediatly the price goes up, the tarrifs we pay go up?

3. krooton

Capodecina

Businesses gonna business I'm afraid. :(

4. b0rn2sk8

Mobster

Wholesale price makes up about 50% of the overall bill. There should be some correlation.

5. Kermit

Wise Guy

True but the utility companies muddy the water by varying the standing charge & price per unit with each new tariff which I wish was put to bed. A standing charge should be like a tax disc for your car or fixed line rental and not vary from tarrif to tariff as surely the large proporation of this cost is the fixed subsidy the supplier pays to National Grid to cover the grid and pipes to your premises & possibly Green projects which should be fixed thus allowing the cost/unit we pay for each Kw/h cover the utility companies admin costs (as afterall thats all do given most don't operate power stations) on top of the cost they've bought the gas/electric at either as required on the spot price or on the futures market.

I like Pure Planets approach with this in calling the standing charge the "members rate" which is fixed at £8.50/month each for gas and electric and while they have mutliple tariffs to choose from for each customer, the costs of gas/electric per postcode do vary as it obviously must cost more to supply a remote low population area with gas than an urabn area. They do make a point of stating the price they pay per unit of gas/elec is exactly what the customer pays with all their operating costs/fixed costs to national grid etc contained within that £8.50 members fee.

6. b0rn2sk8

Mobster

I would go even further and say the whole consumer energy market is broken, who do we need so many 'middle men', surely one, fully transparent (i guess government owned), not for profit supplier will provide better value to consumers than the cluster we have now. All you need is 3 simple tariffs (time of use, flat rate, PAYG), made up of 2 components a kwh price for the gas and electric and a set charge that covers the transmission to your area and running costs of billing etc.

All this pseudo competition is just utter **** and it just means the most loyal and most vulnerable of customers are left subsidising my cheaper tariff or making rich people richer.

You could even bin off the regulator by then and just put it in the scope of the NAO to measure sure they are keeping spending in check.

7. Kol

Don

Anybody else seen Bulb have a new smart tariff?

Looks good if you don't use much energy between 4pm-7pm. Well, good in that the kWh price is 1p less (which isn't a lot, no) but half price overnight. Essentially economy 7 really...?

That peak rate, though!

Electricity
    Standing charge
    24.56p per day
    Off-peak rate
    12.19p per kWh
    Peak rate
    29.75p per kWh
    Overnight rate
    7.45p per kWh

8. Simon

Capodecina

That’s very expensive !

9. Kol

Don

It is, however, if you use most outside of 4-7pm it would be cheaper. Their standard is ~13p kWh, off peak would be 12p and overnight only 7.45p so.of people use most outside there could be an opportunity to save.

Edit - I suppose if you've got an EV for example, it could work out pretty well, charging overnight.

10. b0rn2sk8

Mobster

If you had a home battery setup it would be a no brainier. You could even set the battery to charge from the grid during the night assuming you don't get a full charge from any the solar.

EDIT: I can see this sort of tariff becoming the norm from 2025 when 2nd gen smart meters are common, though I expect overnight use will slowly get more expensive as more and more EV's come online.

11. pinkpound

Wise Guy

Hello

Anyone got a PP referral going spare please

12. Kermit

Wise Guy

PP referral link sent by trust

13. wesley

Soldato

how do you feel about this?

have a look at outfox reviews on trustpilot :eek:

14. ron3003

Wise Guy

Sounds suspiciously like what happened at Iresa, huge and unnecessary increases in their customers direct debits in a kind of money grab prior to closing down :(

15. arknor

Caporegime

my landlord switched our heating/hotwater billing from their own website to insight-energy
    Never sent out letters telling anyone they were going to be taking over billing...

costs were crazy expensive compared to the old rate we had...
    Seems a lot of people complained about it because the other day I got a letter stating insite-energy will be taking over our energy payments..

in the letter it says "based on tenants feedback the charges are being adjusted"
    standing charge up 25%, actual unit cost down a massive 75%

Seems insite energy were trying to pull a fast one or had no idea what we were being charged before...
    The whole thing seems really bizarre, I don't see why our landlord needed a third party to collect payments when they have a system set up for web payments for rent and one with a separate statement for heating/hotwater costs.

It's not like it's some small landlord, they employ thousands of people across the country, have their own call centres, own repair people etc
    I don't see how it saves them any money unless they also own this company.

16. pinkpound

Wise Guy

Received Thank you

17. Duke

Man of Honour

Surely paying less in the summer but more in the winter is exactly bill shock? Most I've seen even it out over the year, so you build up some credit during the summer which is eaten through during the winter.

18. jpaul

Soldato

That bulb contract does sound a bit of a marketting gimmick ... and motivates me to swap away from them.

I cannot find information on the web, of number of customers, each vendor has ?

But did see a more interesting tarif (probably missed it on thread)
    ...we normally eat xmas day meal about 3pm .....

19. maddness

Soldato

from Bulb:

We need to increase your payments

Hi,

Based on your recent meter reading, your energy costs more than expected. To cover this, we need to increase your payments from £82 to £138 a month.

We'll do this automatically on 4th December, 2018.

L..... O..... L

20. jpaul

Soldato

with Bulb you can just adjust your payment as you need ? lastest email i had included this, so just work out what you need to pay