English League Football ** spoilers ** [12th - 14th November 2010]

Caporegime
:D

I personally don't think Liverpool are that good, squad wise ect ect,

I am however of the opinion that a top 10 finish is a must and even then a top 5/6 place is where I'd be placing you guys.

Thought you looked really good against Chelsea (first half was impressive but you slacked in the second :p) but 36% away at ****ing Stoke isn't good.

Is it just the manager?

Do the players not take part of the blame with them not performing?

oh and Babel is horrific at times.

Soldato
:D

I personally don't think Liverpool are that good, squad wise ect ect,

I am however of the opinion that a top 10 finish is a must and even then a top 5/6 place is where I'd be placing you guys.

Thought you looked really good against Chelsea (first half was impressive but you slacked in the second :p) but 36% away at ****ing Stoke isn't good.

Is it just the manager?

Do the players not take part of the blame with them not performing?

oh and Babel is horrific at times.

Its hard to keep control of the ball when every pass forward is through the air aimed at Torres, who's marked by pretty much the whole back 4, and knocked off the ball because he cant play this way.
Cahill at Everton is awesome in the air, but you wouldn't play balls up to him this way because he just dont have the build for it. Ghosting in for goals however ..

Anyway, back to point.
Reina gets ball -> Passes to back 4 -> Passes to Lucas or Gerrard and they launch it to Torres. 9/10 he then gets robbed of the ball. Rinse repeat.

Caporegime
We struggled to put the ball in the back of the net last season when Torres was injured and Gerrard gave up. We very rarely had a problem keeping possession, not last season or any season before that under Benitez. Our problems keeping the ball are all down to Hodgson and there can be no disputing that because it's fact.

Soldato
We struggled to put the ball in the back of the net last season when Torres was injured and Gerrard gave up. We very rarely had a problem keeping possession, not last season or any season before that under Benitez. Our problems keeping the ball are all down to Hodgson and there can be no disputing that because it's fact.

You are Rafa, i claim my $20 ;)

Man of Honour
What so i am not entitled to a opinion? and collectively Villa do have a better team than Liverpool.

I would rather Young,Agbon,Dunne,Collins,Downing then say Lucas,N'Gog,Merieles,Skrtel,Maxi.

The only players Liverpool have that are any better than Villas are Torres,Gerrard,Reina and Carragher.

Villa do not have a better team than Liverpool?

Those Villa players you listed are all worse than their Liverpool 'counterparts' and you've listed FOUR (in key positions too) players that you consider to be better than what Villa have, thats nearly half the team :p

Liverpool could come 4th if the team were to play really well I think, very unlikely though, they could easily (and should) come 5-8th.

Man of Honour
Ah....sweet Roy

"It was always going to be a tough task and I knew we would be hard-pushed to win that battle but I thought we dealt with the pressure reasonably well"

"I thought today we stood up as well as we could be expected to considering the pressure we were under."

Yes...yes it was always going to be a tough task to beat Stoke (its not like Wolves or shoddy bottom of the league West Ham beat them after all is it...oh..wait), on the plus side at least we coped well what with the enormous pressure we were under. (I think he means that HE is under)

Caporegime
Could players not hold some of the blame?

You can't surely just blame Roy for 100% of the failings so far this season? :(

I can't say I've watched every minute you've played but I've found Torres on his own up top a little odd (Given how well him and Saint Gerrard did together) and how with players like Merererelis / Gerrard / Cole / Maxi / Babel (yes I know :o) you're not playing balls to feet and running at defences.

I don't think the defence is right either (not an expert) but I'd have dropped Carra for another Center back. Johnson / Agger / Squirtle / Konny

Soldato
I dont blame Roy for it all personaly having said that he does the tactics,positions of players etc.

1) Carra should not be at RB no need we have Kelly.
2) Torres on his own ive never agreed with either stick him with Gerrard/Kuyt, As he is going to be marked out constantly.
3) Team moral
4) Subs, Perfect example Poulson on for Kuyt in last game how in the hell would that win us a game ever?
5)Formations,Tactics - Every game other than the chelsea first half he seems to have gave the impression of ive told my players to sit lob ball up or attack on counter if you can, Doesnt work with every day or hardly at all.
6) Lack of ideas, He never seems to have a plan b at all, Some of our players look lost and as if they have given up allready.
7) Rumours of player unrest now this may all be total ******** but to have it this early on in the season is rather odd imo

Thats what i blame on Roy :p

Caporegime
Yeah it is the other way around, Dunne has scored more own goals than Carragher.

Imagine a defence with Dunne and Carragher in it, your goal keeper would be more worried about his own two popping the ball past him than the opposition :D

What you're saying is, if Caragher went over to Villa, City might have a single game in the year they can probably win.

Wait Liverpool had under 50% posession, is that confirmed?

Haven't they been using the stat in the past 5-10 Stoke games that Stoke have not once, home or away, commanded a 50% or higher posession ever in the premier league, or something very similar. It "might" have been only away but I get the impression it was an outstanding stat because it was for all games in the league home and away.

In which case that is bad, I missed most of the first half, didn't pay full attention to the second, seemed to me Gerrard gave away the ball a ridiculous amount though, was anyone else particularly guilty of giving it away, or just everyone.

Man of Honour
In which case that is bad, I missed most of the first half, didn't pay full attention to the second, seemed to me Gerrard gave away the ball a ridiculous amount though, was anyone else particularly guilty of giving it away, or just everyone.

Its part of Roys tactics, his plan is to let the other team have the ball so much that they get tired out and let us slip a goal in :)

Soldato
The only reason Liverpool have a hope of 5 - 8 is that the likes of Spurs and City are losing games they shouldnt do

Even the transfer window isnrt as much a godsend either - yes you can get different players in, but the quality isnt gaurenteed ( just from how you have beeen playing/ what position the club is fighting for) - unless you get a few well known mercenaries who just want the money, and dont so much care about the club (unless of course another manager comes in within the next 6 weeks or so....)

Soldato
As I said, you were being pedantic. If you disagree with the principle that Vidic should have been booked on the same basis that Young got booked then you need to take your head out of your backside.

Equally, why does the rule regarding leaving the field of play without the refs consent not apply? That's what he done after all and therefore should have been booked for that. You were quick to point to the rule book, by the letter of the law he should have been booked. See, I can be pedantic too :p

oh gosh, you've tried to be pedantic but you've just got it wrong again. Let's break it down nice and simply for you.

You are trying to use law 3. However it is manifestly obvious to anyone who watches the game that there are many reasons when a player leaves the field of play that a caution or even a break in play is not appropriate. For instance an attacking player on the touch line with a defender marking him plays a give and go and runs outside the marking defender, over and down the touchline before reentering to receive the return ball. This is in the course of the game and is a normal passage of play. No offence committed.

Ball out of play situations: Oh i don't know, getting the ball for a throw in, goal kick or corner don't require permission to be sought in order to leave the field of play. It is all considered 'part of the game'

3.9 LEAVING THE FIELD IN THE COURSE OF PLAY
Players are normally expected to remain on the field while the ball is in play, leaving only to retrieve a ball or when ordered off by the referee. If a player accidentally passes over one of the boundary lines of the field of play or if a player in possession of or contesting for the ball passes over the touch line or the goal line without the ball to beat an opponent, he or she is not considered to have left the field of play without the permission of the referee. This player does not need the referee's permission to return to the field.

There are of course instances when the ball is in play in which a player leaving and returning could also be considered unsportsmanlike such as stepping off in order to either evade an offside or to put another player offside and these are cautionable offences.

Now we can look at rule 12

According to the rules of the games (Law 12):

While it is permissible for a player to demonstrate his joy when a goal has been scored, the celebration must not be excessive.[13]

Fifa's rules state that:

# While it is permissible for a player to demonstrate his joy when a goal has been scored, the celebration must not be excessive.

Fifa directives also discourage the practice of choreographed celebrations when it results in excessive time-wasting and referees are instructed to intervene in such cases.

Although it is not a cautionable offence in itself to leave the pitch to celebrate a goal, it is deemed essential that players return to the field as soon as possible.

Interpretation is the name of the game, with referees expected to act in a "preventative mode" and to exercise "common-sense" in dealing with a goal celebration.

Fifa rules state that a player must be cautioned when:

# In the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative derisory or inflammatory

# He climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored

# He removes his shirt over his head or covers his head with his shirt

* source http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4616854.stm

Hang on, so what's this? A Player is allowed to leave the field of play when a goal is scored as long as the referee does not deem it excessive. However a referee must book the player if he climbs on or over a perimeter fence. Hmm I wonder what the difference could be between what Young and Vidic did? Oh that's right Young climbed over a perimeter fence (advertising boardings) in order to celebrate with the fans. Vidic ran to the perimeter fence where the fans already were and celebrated with them he didn't climb on or over that marking.

So woe betide the ref for applying a yellow card in a situation where it is mandatory and then not applying one in a different situation which the rules guidance specifically makes provision to allow under referees discretion. Because Baz87 will be there with his encyclopedic knowledge of the laws of the game and a willingness to say to anyone who says he's wrong that they're being pedantic and hiding behind the letter of the law.

Personally I always find it helpful when a referee follows the laws of the game but that's just me.

Caporegime
Team News

Everton: Howard, Neville, Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Coleman, Arteta, Heitinga, Pienaar, Cahill, Saha.

Subs: Mucha, Hibbert, Bilyaletdinov, Beckford, Gueye, Yakubu, Rodwell.

Arsenal: Fabianski, Sagna, Djourou, Squillaci, Clichy, Nasri, Song, Wilshere, Arshavin, Fabregas, Chamakh.

Subs: Szczesny, Rosicky, van Persie, Walcott, Denilson, Eboue, Gibbs.

COYB!!! :D :D

Back
Top Bottom