Epic 1970's pictures, well they're epic!!

Soldato
These photos really are awesome - from back in the day when you needed real talent to get good photographs!

My late grandfather was a photographer back in these days and covered a few motorsport events - I've got a huge task to scan in his life's work (a few suitcases) but will post any car related ones up here if anyone's interested :)

Soldato
There were several six wheelers, the Tyrrell P34 was the only one that ever raced. Ferrari, March and Williams all experimented with six wheeled designs which had four wheels at the back.

I'm sure I remember playing with a 6 wheeler scalextric car when I was a kid :)

Man of Honour
OP
Ferrari, March and Willams all built 6 wheel F1 cars, none of which actually raced and they were running 4 wheels at the rear rather than front. All 6 tyres were the same size I believe and gave aerodynamic benefits over the cars of the time due to the smaller size of the rear tyres.

Man of Honour
OP
March

240march1.jpg

240march6.jpg

240march8.jpg

240march9.jpg

Williams
sixwheelwilliams.jpg

williams-fw08b-f1-1982-six-wheels.jpg

Different, but not stupid.

Associate
Ferrari, March and Willams all built 6 wheel F1 cars, none of which actually raced and they were running 4 wheels at the rear rather than front. All 6 tyres were the same size I believe and gave aerodynamic benefits over the cars of the time due to the smaller size of the rear tyres.

I'm pretty sure all of the rear wheeled designs shared the front tyres and your images seem to support that. While the P34 used special (smaller) tyres on the front.

Man of Honour
OP
There was a lot of experimentation with small wheels in racing in the 70's as the Shadow Mk1 CanAm car shows well.

_MG_9339.jpg

Caporegime
The March 6 wheeler was never intended to race. It was a publicity stunt. I think the Williams was planned to race, but never did get there did it?

I was clearly born 30 years too late!

Man of Honour
OP
The March 6 wheeler was never intended to race. It was a publicity stunt. I think the Williams was planned to race, but never did get there did it?

I was clearly born 30 years too late!

It wasn't quite a publicity stunt it was more of a failed test bed but it was hill climbed I think by the recently late Roy Lane sometime in the 70's. The Williams 6 wheeler never raced as I believe 6 wheel cars were outlawed in the early 80's but it did run up the hill at Goodwood a few times, Palmer really made if fly and I hear that Williams is now considering entering 2 versions into the Historic F1 series next year which will be interesting and I think it might have raced once in a Historic race in the past, but might be wrong.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
mm I'm gonna get the album out and see if I can take any decent pics to stick them up, not having a scanner = fail :(

Back
Top Bottom