Epic Games Store now open!

Soldato
Because there are features on Steam that aren't available elsewhere. I like the rewards system, because you can acquire trading cards simply by playing, and then sell them on the marketplace for credit. I sold a bunch recently and bought Yakuza 0 with the proceeds. You can also sell cosmetics, which means PUBG has essentially paid for itself!

Then there's big picture mode, cloud saving, refunds, third-party controller support, VR etc.
I agree, all those are nice things but not having them wouldn't stop me playing a game because I couldn't purchase it on Steam.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Maintaining a game library on one platform is not an alien concept, nor is it an invalid one.
It wasn't alien about 10 years ago when all the competing platforms were as woeful as the epic launcher is right now, but the majority of people gave in and opened the doors to other platforms years ago.

Soldato
Maintaining a game library on one platform is not an alien concept, nor is it an invalid one.

indeed and if was a totally free service from valve i am sure everyone would put their games on steam. but it isnt.

Origin and Oculus both allow you to add external games to your games library (i do not know about uplay but i imagine they may too?)

Steam allows you to add non steam games to your steam library.

so it is highly likely this will be a feature which will be added to epic store soon, which should then do what you want,? and if not well you can just add any epic games to your steam library as a non steam game.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yet their we go...added to the epic store soon..... Same as every other feature is soon.

It should have been released with everything steam has and more... yet it hasn't so quite frankly its not as good as steam yet i am still supposed to install it accept it has less than half the content of steam, half the features of steam and from i have seen so far a a extremely lacklustre entry to the field unless you play fortnight. So let us not kid ourselves here either they probably have some metric that PC numbers or on the wane but lets keep them within our crappy little ecosystem with some sucky indie game.

Soldato
lets keep them within our crappy little ecosystem with some sucky indie game.

I belive it is a free game every 2 weeks for the next 12 months..... and as for sucky indie game.............. subnautica is far better than 99% of the titles on steam. it is a highly polished title.

but hey dont like it, dont sign up...... simples.

Soldato
Exactly that.

I do not feel any need to sign up for it.

which is fine..... but just dont whine about the stores existence or when games happen to be on it which are not on steam... if you want to make a stand to champion a steam store front monopoly you need to accept some potential inconvenience ;)

Soldato
If you don't like it, don't install it.

I have, removed it from start up so I only access it when I want to, then it goes back to sleep again....

Steam will always be my go to but I don't think "another launcher" should be an issue when there are so many at the moment already.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
which is fine..... but just dont whine about the stores existence or when games happen to be on it which are not on steam... if you want to make a stand to champion a steam store front monopoly you need to accept some potential inconvenience ;)

I have no problem with the steam monopoly, i can get keys from multiple sources, hell i even money from 800hrs of playing pubg to buy, divinty 2, Inquisitor at full price and 3 or 4 others bits in the various steam sales. Due to fools buying virtual items in the steam market.

It all about epic taking a slice of the pie nothing else. I am fine with that but i will not be installing it anytime soon as i see no need too.

Soldato
indeed and for the record i think i came across a bit strong in my post you quoted...... for that i apologise I did not mean to intimate anyone who didnt like the epic store were whining.

Soldato
i dunno, to me the client must be stable, low footprint and store any games i have bought on it in a clear manner with easy links to download

everything else is optional.... so your trading cards, achievements, forums, yada yada yada really are not core features which i think should stop the launch of a store front....

Completely agree with this, in fact I'd rather it didn't have all these features.

Don't get me wrong, I like all the features in steam, but if I'm going to use multiple launchers (which I'm happy to do), then I'd rather most of them were just small and lightweight, as long as I can download and play the game that's all I want from it.

I don't really see it as an issue, maybe they'll add features going forward but they can never expect to compete with Steam in that way from day one. So what can they do to give themselves a chance, give the developers a good deal and give away some free games. Will it work? We'll see I guess...

Soldato
to me achievement is a basic must have feature. One of the best things ever related to gaming in my view.

Other stuff tho like built in streaming, friends, and chat lists I can do without.

Soldato
sometimes competitionis a bad thing.

e.g. which is better

skysports + added inclusive EPL channel that had the games that BT now owns for same price
or skysports + paying extra for BT for what used to be the inclusive EPL channel.

another example

movie a,b,c,d,e all on netflix for 7.9 a month, but disney own movie B, starz owns movie E, and the company that owns movie A decides to move it to amazon films as amazon outbid netflix. The other two decide to start their own service.

so suddenly to get access to movies a,b,c,d,e you pay netflix 7.99 + pay starz + pay amazon + pay disney

Both steam and netflix in their competitionless forms were reducing piracy for sure, I think we deffo going to see movie piracy rise, games is less certian but I think its not as good situation for pc gaming as say 5 years ago.

I would say it benefits content creators but not consumers.

This is exactly my issue with exclusivity in DRM, something I banged on about a few years ago now. Funnily enough I remember saying I hoped an EU regulation would be created to help the consumers with this. Fat chance of that now lol.

I have recently been gathering series and films in physical form that I really like and tend not to jump on bandwagons. As for games however, I'll stick with Steam, Origin and DRM-Free.

Back
Top Bottom