Poll: Erik ten Hag Sack Watch & Next Manchester United Manager?

To sack or not to sack

• Total voters
Soldato
I don't think anyone has suggested INEOS are going to do a great job, but I don't see the reason to assume failure before it's actually happened.

Either way, pretty sure they can't be worse than the Glazers.
I'm not assuming failure, I'm just not getting caught up with the hype.

There's a high probability that it will be the same **** but different day. Especially whilst certain players are still at the club.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I have faith in ETH because of his body of work. I have very little faith after years of Glazers and reviewing what the new people have done in their past.

I think this is where we differ. I have faith that EtH is a good manager in the right circumstances but I am also a bit of a pragmatist and understand that teams changes managers all the time these days and its not necessarily a reflection on the managers ability. To be a top, long term manager at the biggest clubs in the world is very very rare these days.

Caporegime
So you'd be fully supportive of Southgate then?

I don't know that is a step too far really.

Moysey recommended by Fergie. Took Everton to Champions League football.
LVG. Lifetime of success.
Jose. Ditto
Ole. Club Legend and at least did well in his native country. At the time it was a punt based on previous failures of successful managers.
Wreck it Ralph. Whilst he did a poor job he made valid points with the club.
ETH. Won trophies everywhere he has been.

Southgate. 29% win percentage with Middleborough, missed a penalty at Euro 96 and did a Pizza advert. Has the best team on paper leading into Euro 2024.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think this is where we differ. I have faith that EtH is a good manager in the right circumstances but I am also a bit of a pragmatist and understand that teams changes managers all the time these days and its not necessarily a reflection on the managers ability. To be a top, long term manager at the biggest clubs in the world is very very rare these days.
Currently, I don't think any manager can make it work at United due to a combination of unrealistic expectations, bad attitude and lack of skills, across the entire club, from owners to players.

How many managers have we been through now?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Currently, I don't think any manager can make it work at United due to a combination of unrealistic expectations, bad attitude and lack of skills, across the entire club, from owners to players.

How many managers have we been through now?

Agreed if there is one thing that both Fergie and Gil were to blame for was that they didn't leave any form of legacy to have people to succeed them at the club. Both of them leaving at the same time was a disaster really.

We are Manchester United in name only. Fergie had Busby and Charlton around and whilst he is his own man no doubt they influenced him about the values of the club. There is literally zero of that anymore at the club.

Associate
Coming back to your earlier post about there still not being any announcement on or off the record from Utd over ETH's future, as I said the other day this can only be read as bad news for ETH. Utd aren't dragging this out if they want to keep him. The delay can only be because Utd can't or at least have yet to find his replacement. It does also raise the prospect that the replacement could be Southgate :D
Interesting, as I see this as the opposite.
I don't understand why they have to announce anything if they have made the decision for him to stay. If they've told ETH he's staying, may have even reiterated this to him after the journo's went wild, why do they need to run to the press every time something has been twisted for clicks.

I'll probably be wrong after all this, but that's they way I see it.

If Southgate becomes United manager I am 100% a Forest fan next season.
Out of curiosity, who did you support before Man Utd?
I assume you supported someone else before they changed their manager to someone you didn't like? ;)

Man of Honour
OP
I don't understand why they have to announce anything if they have made the decision for him to stay. If they've told ETH he's staying, may have even reiterated this to him after the journo's went wild, why do they need to run to the press every time something has been twisted for clicks.

I'll probably be wrong after all this, but that's they way I see it.

I understand what you're saying, but realistically a club would be expected to comment in this situation. It wasn't some random report, a number of serious journalists reported it - lead by the Guardian. When these people approached the club they refused to comment. They didn't even deny it, or say things were being looked at. If they'd told ETH he was staying, this would have been reported - it quite clearly isn't the case.

Whatever happens now he has been undermined, they clearly don't have confidence in him...

Caporegime
I understand what you're saying, but realistically a club would be expected to comment in this situation. It wasn't some random report, a number of serious journalists reported it - lead by the Guardian. When these people approached the club they refused to comment. They didn't even deny it, or say things were being looked at. If they'd told ETH he was staying, this would have been reported - it quite clearly isn't the case.

Whatever happens now he has been undermined, they clearly don't have confidence in him...

I agree with the poster you quoted. If they just went quiet and did nothing and continue as normal it would leave the press with a red face. After all these "leaks" could have been complete drivel and the reporters that acted on them will be out the door. Would be a win win in my eyes.

All United would have to say we were having contract talks after ETH holiday and we have signed him on for another two years.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I agree with the poster you quoted. If they just went quiet and did nothing and continue as normal it would leave the press with a red face. After all these "leaks" could have been complete drivel and the reporters that acted on them will be out the door. Would be a win win in my eyes.

All United would have to say we were having contract talks after ETH holiday and we have signed him on for another two years.

This is wishful thinking really. They had notice of this prior to the cup final, refused to comment, and so ETH was bombarded with questions about whether he was being sacked on Monday morning. That's not something you just let happen if you are considering keeping him. It's poor form regardless really and not fair on him.

Don
That's just not how these things work. Clubs don't have to (and won't) run to the press every time something is reported however when a fairly major story is being reported across every national and local outlet and constantly for weeks, the club would have rubbished it by now if it wasn't true. The whole world believing that Utd have doubts over their manager and are possibly going to sack him is not a story Utd want out there unless there's some truth in it. It only causes negative speculation and undermines ETH (if he were going to stay). Furthermore the journalists that are reporting this story are all the guys that cover Utd day to day, that have connections at the club - if it wasn't true and or coming from the club then they're not reporting this story.

Associate
Your points make perfect sense.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

If they out of the blue announce he’s staying or going, I’m wrong. They should have done it earlier and they look bad.

But I have a feeling they’ll say nothing, we’ll start signing players. Then before we know it the new season will be upon us with him still there.

Soldato
Or it could be a case of, no announcement of any sort and ETH will be selecting his first 11 in a couple of months time.
No idea how INEOS run things, but it may just be as simple as they don't bow down to peer pressure and don't consider having to reply to rumours that important . Press say 'oh ETH gonna be sacked in summer'. they say, 'Eric, just ignore that, your still the manager. Anyway.... carry on'

Don
Is it possible EtH isn’t on holiday, but Gardening Leave? And, if he is it’s being kept quiet?
No. And why would he be on gardening leave anyway? He'd only go on gardening leave in the event that he wanted to leave but that Utd didn't want to release him from his contract.

Back
Top Bottom