Poll: Erik ten Hag Sack Watch & Next Manchester United Manager?

To sack or not to sack

• Total voters
Soldato
it's not the rumours that's getting me down but rather that we are still acting like a clown club.
Because they are taking their time making a considered decision behind closed doors?

Rushing the process because some fans have the attention span of a gnat isn't going to result in better outcomes.

Don
Because they are taking their time making a considered decision behind closed doors?

Rushing the process because some fans have the attention span of a gnat isn't going to result in better outcomes.
Genuine question, how long do you think it should take and when do you think they actually began the process?

There's no a doubt in my mind that Ineos would have been looking at ETH's position since day 1, in fact I'd be amazed if they hadn't been discussing/planning who they want as their manager prior to completing their deal. No club just waits until the final day of the season and then makes their decision. Now I know that some posts have made the 'but who is making the decisions' argument but I don't think anybody is naive enough to not believe that Ashworth will be in discussions behind the scenes with Braislford & Ratcliffe, again probably even before Utd's approach to Newcastle back in February(?). The recent story that came out re Utd tapping up Ashworth shows that Berrada is even doing a bit of work behind the scenes too. I think it's safe to say that the key decision makers at the club moving forwards are already well involved in the ETH/new manager debate.

I've no doubt that decision that ETH isn't the right manager moving forwards has been made and the only possible way he's Utd manager in August is if Utd just cannot find the right replacement and rather than make the wrong appointment, they'll keep their powder dry until the right man is available. And I know we all have a bit of a joke about it but the longer this drags out, the more the Southgate links make sense. Utd know this impasse can't last forever and if Utd were working on other targets you'd imagine they'd be tied up in the next few weeks.
I say hes not being sacked and never the intention to sack him.
Utd are just refusing to shut down the debate for a laugh or do they think all this speculation will help ETH?

Soldato
Someone said something on twitter and the whole world jumps on it. The club probably told Eric carry on as you were well before fa cup. Players know he's still manager. Eric knows he's still manager. No reason to release a statement. Have arsenal released anything g stating arteta is still manager? No. Because no need too.

Don
Someone said something on twitter and the whole world jumps on it. The club probably told Eric carry on as you were well before fa cup. Players know he's still manager. Eric knows he's still manager. No reason to release a statement. Have arsenal released anything g stating arteta is still manager? No. Because no need too.
Are these the words of a man that's been assured of his job?
If they don't want me any more, I go somewhere else and win trophies.
I think you're kidding yourself if you think this constant speculation doesn't matter. It undermines the manager as everybody, including the players, will be believing that the club don't back him. And you cannot be serious with the Arteta question. There's no speculation that Arsenal want to change manager so why would they need to say anything.

Soldato
Genuine question, how long do you think it should take and when do you think they actually began the process?

There's no a doubt in my mind that Ineos would have been looking at ETH's position since day 1, in fact I'd be amazed if they hadn't been discussing/planning who they want as their manager prior to completing their deal. No club just waits until the final day of the season and then makes their decision. Now I know that some posts have made the 'but who is making the decisions' argument but I don't think anybody is naive enough to not believe that Ashworth will be in discussions behind the scenes with Braislford & Ratcliffe, again probably even before Utd's approach to Newcastle back in February(?). The recent story that came out re Utd tapping up Ashworth shows that Berrada is even doing a bit of work behind the scenes too. I think it's safe to say that the key decision makers at the club moving forwards are already well involved in the ETH/new manager debate.

I've no doubt that decision that ETH isn't the right manager moving forwards has been made and the only possible way he's Utd manager in August is if Utd just cannot find the right replacement and rather than make the wrong appointment, they'll keep their powder dry until the right man is available. And I know we all have a bit of a joke about it but the longer this drags out, the more the Southgate links make sense. Utd know this impasse can't last forever and if Utd were working on other targets you'd imagine they'd be tied up in the next few weeks.

Utd are just refusing to shut down the debate for a laugh or do they think all this speculation will help ETH?
I don't think making decisions to appease newspaper rumours and armchair critics is a good strategy.

I'm quite sure all the relevant people (i.e.... the club leadership and ETH) are deep in discussions. They are the only people that need to be kept informed at this stage.

Don
I don't think making decisions to appease newspaper rumours and armchair critics is a good strategy.

I'm quite sure all the relevant people (i.e.... the club leadership and ETH) are deep in discussions. They are the only people that need to be kept informed at this stage.
It's not about appeasing the press though. ETH has himself complained about his treatment by the press - if Utd are going to keep him then how does all this speculation help him? Other than the odd deluded fan, at best pretty much everybody now believes Utd's ownership aren't convinced by him. Do you think that's a healthy situation for the club? Do you not worry that the players will be well aware of the situation and will feel more empowered to challenge the manager as they believe he doesn't have the clubs full support? Furthermore how is it good for the club that some supporters are already starting to turn on Ineos?

And finally despite the season barely finishing, we're probably only 3 weeks away from clubs returning to pre-season. Don't you think the club should have a good idea who their manager is going to be fairly soon?

Soldato
If ETH knows hes still manager, that speculation means bugger all and wont affect him at all. Just let the gutter press carry on with their click bait headlines. For all we know, Ineos didn't even think about getting rid and replacing him. All this sacking lark was proably made up by that Chelsea jorno, just to see if it would rattle out team in the cup final so we would lose and they would get ECL place and not us.

Don
If ETH knows hes still manager, that speculation means bugger all and wont affect him at all. Just let the gutter press carry on with their click bait headlines. For all we know, Ineos didn't even think about getting rid and replacing him. All this sacking lark was proably made up by that Chelsea jorno, just to see if it would rattle out team in the cup final so we would lose and they would get ECL place and not us.
Everything you’ve wrote seems entirely baseless and just wishful thinking. I did ask already but can you explain ETH’s comment about “if they don’t want me anymore…..” if there’s no doubt over his future?

As for the negative press speculation not effecting him, he’s openly complained about the press treatment of him. I think it’s pretty clear that he won’t want stories every day about how Utd are still deciding on his future and linking Southgate with his job.

Back
Top Bottom