Poll: Erik ten Hag Sack Watch & Next Manchester United Manager?

To sack or not to sack

• Total voters
So...

We're a few games into the new season and I would say there's an improvement in the performances, but it's fairly minimal so far. I'm not too hung up on the Brighton game as they are a decent side and could beat anyone at home.

Despite him almost being sacked, the club have firmly backed ETH with the transfer business this summer, and the squad is significantly stronger now, especially with Ugarte joining too.

However, I can't shake the feeling that ETH leaving is just a matter of time, I think the performances will continue to be up and down, and we're into his 3rd season now.

I think he was damaged beyond repair last season... and there's still no clear idea of how he wants to play, it's the usual Solskjaer counter-attack football which I don't think is sustainable at the top clubs for any real length of time.

So...

We're a few games into the new season and I would say there's an improvement in the performances, but it's fairly minimal so far. I'm not too hung up on the Brighton game as they are a decent side and could beat anyone at home.

Despite him almost being sacked, the club have firmly backed ETH with the transfer business this summer, and the squad is significantly stronger now, especially with Ugarte joining too.

However, I can't shake the feeling that ETH leaving is just a matter of time, I think the performances will continue to be up and down, and we're into his 3rd season now.

I think he was damaged beyond repair last season... and there's still no clear idea of how he wants to play, it's the usual Solskjaer counter-attack football which I don't think is sustainable at the top clubs for any real length of time.
Yeah, I can’t see him lasting beyond this season.

Admittedly only two games, but it’s still the same as before in not being overly clear what the style of play is or demonstrating that the players are well coached. There’s still the same case of playing as individuals rather than a team. I can’t see that changing either, much like last season. Only difference so far is not shipping a metric ton of shots on goal.

Still a case for me of having no idea who to go for when the inevitable happens too.

Last edited:
I guess it depends what the club measure him by. League finish? I'm undecided if we'll get top 4, surely we need to beat the likes of Brighton in order to do so?

The mentality of the players just isn't there. Hopefully a new manager/ETH could/will change this but I'm doubtful.

Where our 6-0 performance or 5-0 for that matter under Ten Hag?, I still fail to see an identity of play this season we are still making school boy defensive errors as of last season.

More losses will only pile on the pressure and the daggers will be out wether people want him to go or not.

I guess it depends what the club measure him by. League finish? I'm undecided if we'll get top 4, surely we need to beat the likes of Brighton in order to do so?

The mentality of the players just isn't there. Hopefully a new manager/ETH could/will change this but I'm doubtful.

People getting far too grumpy. We was literally an inch from going 2-1 up then I think we would have shut up shop and everyone would be talking differently.

ETH problem is he leaves it wide open in the middle and always chasing the win instead of settling for a draw.

Also people saying we are playing counterattack football but we had bulk of possession in both of our opening games. Brighton at home are a possession based team yet we had more possession. This wouldn't happen last season. A few things are still missing. De Ligt has had no pre season which is why we are playing Maguire. Once he and the other new signings come in full time I am sure we will see a lot better.

Only thing that annoys me is we didn't sign a left back.

Just because he wasn’t sacked doesn’t really change that much, his job is still very much at risk. It’s not a club thread.
How is it not? You're just discussing what is usually posted in the club thread (or the transfer thread as you're talking about Ugarte too). There is nothing to suggest his job as at risk after 2 games, any more than any manager's job is at risk. Shall we start a thread for Maresca too? Come on Robbo, this is just silly. If you want to discuss performances use the matchday threads, if you want to talk about something more general use the club thread.

How is it not? You're just discussing what is usually posted in the club thread (or the transfer thread as you're talking about Ugarte too). There is nothing to suggest his job as at risk after 2 games, any more than any manager's job is at risk. Shall we start a thread for Maresca too? Come on Robbo, this is just silly. If you want to discuss performances use the matchday threads, if you want to talk about something more general use the club thread.

We’d need some Chelsea fans for that to be worth it.

Sorry - I must have missed the new rule where managers can only be sacked at the end of the season. As far as I’m concerned nothing has really changed, we can’t just pretend last season didn’t happen, that FA Cup final has given a lot of people amnesia it seems.

We’d need some Chelsea fans for that to be worth it.

Sorry - I must have missed the new rule where managers can only be sacked at the end of the season. As far as I’m concerned nothing has really changed, we can’t just pretend last season didn’t happen, that FA Cup final has given a lot of people amnesia it seems.
Well quick get up the individual threads for all the other managers then, after all they are all at risk right? I know you wanted him sacked but people who know a lot more about football than you and I decided differently, why not get behind the team now? Are you going to be bumping this after every dropped point?

Well quick get up the individual threads for all the other managers then, after all they are all at risk right? I know you wanted him sacked but people who know a lot more about football than you and I decided differently, why not get behind the team now? Are you going to be bumping this after every dropped point?

I am behind the team - I’d like him to turn it around but I’m not delusional, it’s going to be very difficult. They’d more or less decided to sack him, he was a whisker away by all accounts, not exactly a ringing endorsement from those who know so much…

I'd hoped we'd start off the season with a fresh start but it doesn't seem to be any different. It remains to be seen whether we've bought well, think it's fair to say that ETH is on borrowed time. As I said in the club thread, the players just aren't good enough for the fans expectations, and of course the manager will go before Rashford etc leave.

ETH doesn’t really have any excuses now. He has the structure, support from the club and a group of players that are capable of playing the way he wants. He has a more mobile defence that should be able to play higher up the pitch which will close the chasm between the back four and the midfield, so shouldn’t be so easy for opponents to walk the ball straight through the centre of the park and take potshots outside the box.

He needs to make the team click and play together as a cohesive group and learn to drop Rashford else he will be out. There are signs things are improving.

the Liverpool game is massive for him, if we lose then he goes into the international break with immense pressure on him, and if the poor results continue post international break, i can see him being sent on his merry way before Christmas.

I'm with Shami here... I feel like this thread ATM is just diluting and or creating repeated conversations/subjects that already exist in the club thread.

Also we're just providing more evidence for Adam's analysis that Man Utd is the most spoke about club on socials (Going meta... :D)

Last edited:
Who are the ones who decided differently?

Back
Top Bottom