Poll: Erik ten Hag Sack Watch & Next Manchester United Manager?

To sack or not to sack

• Total voters
Man of Honour
OP
We have missed Shaw for a huge part of the season and he is a big part of Rashfords form it seems. Missing your best CB for 90% of the season and the other one for 50% of the season is awful. Casemiro has fallen off a high cliff and there are no remotely passable backups so we have been missing most of our defence and the other usual lynchpin of defensive stability as well. We only have a single striker who is very young, tool a while to get going and just as he hit some good form he got injured.

I think that if we didn't have such ridiculous injuries this season I would feel more confident about passing final judgement on him. City are a well oiled machine and they struggled massively for the few games Rodri was injured. Liverpool struggled massively when they had an injury crisis a few years back and that was with an entire club that knew the plan and had done for years.

I don't think EtH has come out of this season smelling of roses but I also think he has had an absolutely rum time of things. He should probably have been far more pragmatic but I assume he kept hoping things would change and click if he stuck with it rather than adapting, going nowhere when it comes to the football he wants to play and then still finding himself with most of the same issues. I don't think the players gave up on him this season. Last season the league position probably flattered us but I think that is far more representative of where we are with EtH than this season.

I understand what you're saying, but we haven't exactly been great with a stronger squad either. His failure to make any adaptations needs to be looked at too, he can't simply say "my centre back and left back are injured so the season is a write off".

First game of the season, more or less first choice team, and we struggled badly against Wolves and were lucky to win.
Second game, same thing, strong lineup, lost 2-0 to Spurs.
Third game, another strong lineup, struggled past Notts Forest 3-2.
Fourth, lost to Arsenal 3-1.
Fifth, lost 1-3 to Brighton at home.

People will just point to Onana making errors to defend this - a goalkeeper he wanted.

Just looking over general results and lineups, things don't really improve regardless of the team he puts out. It's always a painful struggle and has been all season. I'm just so tired of it. Every game is seared into my brain and most of them were just awful. I also accept that with the best possible manager, and everyone fit, we aren't going to be winning the Premier League. IMO he just hasn't shown enough, even taking into account the mitigating factors.

If INEOS look at everything and decide with a reset and some new players, he's the right man, then I will be behind that - but I suspect he'll be facing the sack before November as very little will have changed. I'll hope to be wrong!

Soldato
Obviously but in isolation you can't say that the team/manager have been a success if they win a cup. Domestic cups are very much an afterthought for the biggest clubs now - yes you would rather win them than not but CL qualification is more important to the biggest clubs now.
In the context of the season it was a good achievement.

Soldato
People will just point to Onana making errors to defend this - a goalkeeper he wanted.
Onana was at fault though, and yes we can put his purchase as a failure of ETH, I agree. Onana was known as error prone before he joined.

Not only is error prone but his goal kicks are shocking.

Antony is also another ETH failure.

We're all placing way too much faith in INEOS and them making the best decisions. Much like we did when we allowed ETH to buy Onanan and Antony.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, but that's ETH's decision

Given the massive errors he was making weekly, he could've played McTominay there or tried to change formation, but he kept playing the same back 4 and it cost us about 5 games in a row
Fair point. I think he should have played Diallo more also.

Last edited:
Soldato
He had Espanyol/Southampton and spurs punching above their weight. That's what you need to be looking at rather than 'winning the league' as you are a good decade off that.
His time at PSG is surely more comparable?

Moyes had Wham punching above their weight and look how that went at United.

Soldato
Why? PSG and Ajax are both expected to win their respective leagues, have far more money and the most expensive squads filled with the best players compared to everyone else. You aren't on the same level as either of them anymore.
My point exactly, when expectations were to win the league, he didn't? If expectations are top 4 for United, can he do it? Does he have a magic wand or something? Will the players suddenly improve.

PSG are a "big" club, as are United (apparently) so I don't see the point in using his time at Southampton to suggest that he'd be good at United, PSG are more comparable especially in terms of player egos.

Last edited:
Soldato
My point exactly, when expectations were to win the league, he didn't?
His 1st season at psg he took over when they were 2nd and finished 2nd, won it the next season?
If expectations are top 4 for United, can he do it? Does he have a magic wand or something? Will the players suddenly improve.

PSG are a "big" club, as are United (apparently) so I don't see the point in using his time at Southampton to suggest that he'd be good at United, PSG are more comparable especially in terms of player egos.
You've a bunch of average to not very good players, he's gotten a tune of of similar players at multiple clubs previously. Lets be honest, they are 2 managers in the world that take you to title challengers in a few seasons (one of those needs a huge pot of money to do so and the other wouldn't touch you lot with a 10ft barge pole), so you either get a manager in that will stamp his identity onto the squad and get you lot pushing for CL qualification, or you can stick with ten hag.

Soldato
His 1st season at psg he took over when they were 2nd and finished 2nd, won it the next season?

You've a bunch of average to not very good players, he's gotten a tune of of similar players at multiple clubs previously. Lets be honest, they are 2 managers in the world that take you to title challengers in a few seasons (one of those needs a huge pot of money to do so and the other wouldn't touch you lot with a 10ft barge pole), so you either get a manager in that will stamp his identity onto the squad and get you lot pushing for CL qualification, or you can stick with ten hag.
Ah, I didn't know he won it with PSG.

Last edited:
Caporegime
First game of the season, more or less first choice team, and we struggled badly against Wolves and were lucky to win.
Second game, same thing, strong lineup, lost 2-0 to Spurs.
Third game, another strong lineup, struggled past Notts Forest 3-2.
Fourth, lost to Arsenal 3-1.
Fifth, lost 1-3 to Brighton at home.

You completely forget that Hojlund was out injured for the beginning, Martinez was not match fit. He had to go off and have an operation after the Brighton game, Onana was new to the league and made a crap tonne of errors. Luke Shaw was out injured after only the second game. Malacia out injured all season.

Our back 4 was different for near enough every one of those games too not to mention the squad in general was chopped and changed due to injuries. It was terrible from the get go.

Just in those 5 games you had different CB pairings of Maguire, Martinez, Lindelof, Varane. Right backs playing left back and no recognised striker.

Back
Top Bottom