Poll: Erik ten Hag Sack Watch & Next Manchester United Manager?

To sack or not to sack

• Total voters
Soldato
Or was it the run of games? As above, Palmer?

It's not so simple as saying it's ALL due to the manager.

You're deluded if you think Uniteds fortunes are going to drastically change if ETH goes. Have you been watching for the last decade??
What even is this comment?

It's not all to do with the manager.

But will this manager bring this team forward, which is the point of the thread.

Simple answer is no.

Soldato
What even is this comment?

It's not all to do with the manager.

But will this manager bring this team forward, which is the point of the thread.

Simple answer is no.
So the next manager is going to make Onana stop making basic errors?

Going to make Antony actually decent?

What about:
Rashford
Mount
Maguire

The list goes on

Soldato
Time for a change?
I'm 50/50 about it.

I think there's a lot of change already taking place. Sometimes too much change ends up causing chaos.

Then again, I think we can write off next season already. So does it really matter who the manager is?

Does the next manager only get two seasons? If they finish in 5th but no trophies is that OK for them to carry on into the next season?

fez

fez

Caporegime
That's half the team! And probably another £3-400m! That isn't happening in one window, or even two, surely?

Can anyone clarify if the club actually has any money to spend?

I don't know. I think CB and CM are vital. RW is next priority. Buying the right players we could fill those spots for under £200m.

As to whether we have money to spend. I have heard we are either broke or have loads. Not sure which currently. :p

Don
Does the next manager only get two seasons? If they finish in 5th but no trophies is that OK for them to carry on into the next season?
No sensible club should think like this.

Although Klopp wasn't manager for the whole season, Klopp was given a new contract after finishing 8th in his first season without any trophies. The reason for this is because the club recognised the synergies between the way he managed and the way the club wanted to operate (in his first transfer window he pulled the plug on a £30m deal for Teixeira because he felt it was getting too expensive and we could spend better in the summer, he wanted the club to spend £50m on a new training ground rather than a bigger transfer budget etc etc) and that despite the inconsistent results, there was clear progress in terms of performance and developing a way of playing.

ETH's biggest problem isn't the poor results but the standard of performances and the lack of a style of play. Even when Utd have won, more often than not they've still played terribly and not only don't Utd play a front foot, positive style of football that you expect at a big side, nobody can tell you how Utd play. Even under Ole (at least until his final season) Utd had a way of playing - Utd were a counter attacking side. They'd sit back and hit sides on the break. After 2 years at the club, Utd still have no style of play under ETH. They just go out and hope for the best, typically get outplayed by whoever they're up against and rely on a Fernandes or Rashford to pop up with a goal.

If Utd are going to be run sensibly moving forwards then whoever comes will be given time if they can show that they're building towards something. If they can develop a system and way of playing and start producing better performances. Results will follow if you get those right but you'll never get consistent results without them.

Man of Honour
OP
ETH's biggest problem isn't the poor results but the standard of performances and the lack of a style of play. Even when Utd have won, more often than not they've still played terribly and not only don't Utd play a front foot, positive style of football that you expect at a big side, nobody can tell you how Utd play. Even under Ole (at least until his final season) Utd had a way of playing - Utd were a counter attacking side. They'd sit back and hit sides on the break. After 2 years at the club, Utd still have no style of play under ETH. They just go out and hope for the best, typically get outplayed by whoever they're up against and rely on a Fernandes or Rashford to pop up with a goal.

This is the main thing for me. 2 seasons is more than enough time to show you are implementing some sort of style. He was even able to sign several players to try and help him play whatever this supposed style is - but everything has gone rapidly downhill. He can try and blame injuries for this, but even with most of the squad available things have hardly improved much. People can point to his Ajax side but that's in the distant past now.

Soldato

Although Klopp wasn't manager for the whole season, Klopp was given a new contract after finishing 8th in his first season without any trophies. The reason for this is because the club recognised the synergies between the way he managed and the way the club wanted to operate (in his first transfer window he pulled the plug on a £30m deal for Teixeira because he felt it was getting too expensive and we could spend better in the summer, he wanted the club to spend £50m on a new training ground rather than a bigger transfer budget etc etc) and that despite the inconsistent results, there was clear progress in terms of performance and developing a way of playing.

If Utd are going to be run sensibly moving forwards then whoever comes will be given time if they can show that they're building towards something. If they can develop a system and way of playing and start producing better performances. Results will follow if you get those right but you'll never get consistent results without them.
yEh bUt wE W0n tHe cup!

Joking aside.

This team has no direction. It's come down to the players re winning things (not ETH), the young ones and the ones that want to play for the club that have won things.

Again week in week out, no direction from the manager.

I like ETH, but, for me at least, he's not the right man for the job.

The club is going through some big changes, and I believe that money will be spent.

So it's now that "proper" changes need to happen.

As if not, same **** different day.

My opinion at least.

Last edited:
Soldato

I agree with the poor results and lack of progress.

I disagree with having a style under Ole. There were plenty of times when people said there was no plan and the team looked clueless "Ole at the wheel". He did then revert to counter attack yes and got stick for it. He also got stuck for relying on key players to dig the team out. As I said before though, some players are key to every team, Salah, Aguero, Rodri... Palmer for Chelsea, Rashford for United last season. It's just ever more obvious when the rest of the team are so crap.

Don
I agree with the poor results and lack of progress.

I disagree with having a style under Ole. There were plenty of times when people said there was no plan and the team looked clueless "Ole at the wheel". He did then revert to counter attack yes and got stick for it. He also got stuck for relying on key players to dig the team out. As I said before though, some players are key to every team, Salah, Aguero, Rodri... Palmer for Chelsea, Rashford for United last season. It's just ever more obvious when the rest of the team are so crap.
I'm not sure I agree. There were plenty of things wrong with Ole and his style of play being one of them but there was one there. His issue was that sitting back, often being outplayed and hoping to win games on the counter attack was never going to get enough results to get Utd where they expect to be and ultimately big sides expect to be playing on the front foot and dominating games. I watched the episode of the overlap where he discussed this and he admitted himself that he couldn't keep playing that way and that's why he tried to be more offensive in his final season but sadly he was full of cliches and didn't know how to implement that change and things just blew up.
Grow up. Managers and teams are judged by silverware. They're an essential part of football...........
The days of winning a domestic cup being seen as success are long gone. Champions League qualification is worth more than any domestic cup win, particularly to a side like Utd. Not only are the finances far more important to the owners than a FA Cup win but without the attraction and money of CL football it's far harder to build a side that will compete for the big 2 prizes which are the true measure for top clubs.

fez

fez

Caporegime
This is the main thing for me. 2 seasons is more than enough time to show you are implementing some sort of style. He was even able to sign several players to try and help him play whatever this supposed style is - but everything has gone rapidly downhill. He can try and blame injuries for this, but even with most of the squad available things have hardly improved much. People can point to his Ajax side but that's in the distant past now.

We have missed Shaw for a huge part of the season and he is a big part of Rashfords form it seems. Missing your best CB for 90% of the season and the other one for 50% of the season is awful. Casemiro has fallen off a high cliff and there are no remotely passable backups so we have been missing most of our defence and the other usual lynchpin of defensive stability as well. We only have a single striker who is very young, tool a while to get going and just as he hit some good form he got injured.

I think that if we didn't have such ridiculous injuries this season I would feel more confident about passing final judgement on him. City are a well oiled machine and they struggled massively for the few games Rodri was injured. Liverpool struggled massively when they had an injury crisis a few years back and that was with an entire club that knew the plan and had done for years.

I don't think EtH has come out of this season smelling of roses but I also think he has had an absolutely rum time of things. He should probably have been far more pragmatic but I assume he kept hoping things would change and click if he stuck with it rather than adapting, going nowhere when it comes to the football he wants to play and then still finding himself with most of the same issues. I don't think the players gave up on him this season. Last season the league position probably flattered us but I think that is far more representative of where we are with EtH than this season.

Soldato
I'm not sure I agree. There were plenty of things wrong with Ole and his style of play being one of them but there was one there. His issue was that sitting back, often being outplayed and hoping to win games on the counter attack was never going to get enough results to get Utd where they expect to be and ultimately big sides expect to be playing on the front foot and dominating games. I watched the episode of the overlap where he discussed this and he admitted himself that he couldn't keep playing that way and that's why he tried to be more offensive in his final season but sadly he was full of cliches and didn't know how to implement that change and things just blew up.

The days of winning a domestic cup being seen as success are long gone. Champions League qualification is worth more than any domestic cup win, particularly to a side like Utd. Not only are the finances far more important to the owners than a FA Cup win but without the attraction and money of CL football it's far harder to build a side that will compete for the big 2 prizes which are the true measure for top clubs.
Winning a cup is still better than not winning a cup.

Caporegime
So the next manager is going to make Onana stop making basic errors?

Going to make Antony actually decent?

What about:
Rashford
Mount
Maguire

The list goes on

If the view of the managers ability to influence is that negative, you may as well just grab someone cheap out of League 2 and use the spare cash to fix the stadium roof or something

Soldato
yEh bUt wE W0n tHe cup!

Joking aside.

This team has no direction. It's come down to the players re winning things (not ETH), the young ones and the ones that want to play for the club that have won things.

Again week in week out, no direction from the manager.

I like ETH, but, for me at least, he's not the right man for the job.

The club is going through some big changes, and I believe that money will be spent.

So it's now that "proper" changes need to happen.

As if not, same **** different day.

My opinion at least.
Who out there has shown themselves to be the right man?

Don
Winning a cup is still better than not winning a cup.
Obviously but in isolation you can't say that the team/manager have been a success if they win a cup. Domestic cups are very much an afterthought for the biggest clubs now - yes you would rather win them than not but CL qualification is more important to the biggest clubs now.

Back
Top Bottom