Escape from Tarkov

Associate
Do you have any specific methods to make money? I say specific because it seems like everyone says "just do some research" but then no one really discloses how other than combat.

Unfortunately for me, the only fun I have is with playing with a friend on low populated servers against scavs. We’re both terrible against other players, I mean literally any fight against any player that isn’t a hatching and we’re both dead.

We seriously know the maps like the back of our hand, we even know the routes that the scavs take but any human player comes along it’s game over for my friend and then me immediately after.

I previously used factory to make money, find a hiding spot and wait for the tank players to loot and extract then I could pick the remains. My method earned enough for minimum 100K every time. Thanks to the fantastic flea market being introduced, I had great fun buying/experimenting with excellent kit. However, all that allowed me to do was collect multiple kits ready for my raids with my friend. That was great fun because I was able to play with gear and have fun modding.

Thanks to the latest patch 0.12 all the previous spots I used to hide are completely killed now so there goes any chance of making money. I have a route to travel through interchange but it takes absolutely ages and being killed before extracts makes it completely disheartening.

Essentially my skill level turned my raid time into 95% finding ways to make money but with 0.12 that’s been killed so honestly I’ve stopped playing. I’ve watched tons of videos and can’t mimic other play styles so the game has been killed for casuals like me unless I play everyday like a crack addict (my spare time is seldom and hence a premium) so that’s not happening. I had really enjoyed seeing new mechanics being introduced and loved getting to see the game evolve, feels incredible to be part of this journey but the more difficult it becomes the less desire I have to put in additional effort.

Unfortunately BSG are heavily catering to the hardcore realists and honestly they’re killing any fun for players that make up the majority who do not have several hours a week to play. I’ve tried to introduce friends by buying them a standard copy and it’s just too brutal for them to even start having fun so they just abandon the game. BSG might cater to the hardcore but they need to consider their business model if it jeopardizes accessibility. However, there's not really anything like Tarkov for a hardcore community so I shouldn't complain but it smarts a little paying ONE HUNDRED QUID on a game that developed into something I can't play.

Im not sure why you think you can't play it anymore ? It's no harder than it was previously in terms of combat, they just made the grind longer with the hideout etc. Im pretty casual with very average skills but still have decent success in raids, just got to pay attention to sound all the time and sneak up on unsuspecting people. Are you fully clued up on all the different ammo types and how good they are against the various armors ? this plays a big part in winning firefights, if you're using Mp5, MPX or anything using 9x19 this far into a wipe you're going to lose most encounters as the bullets do sod all damage unless you're going for face shots.

Bog standard SKS with PS Ammo, thats the best cheap loudout in the game and puts most armored players down rapid.

Soldato
I played a bit last night and died a few times and had to use all my meds so I wasn't going in injured. What do I do now I've run out? I'm going to get insta gibbed every time if I can't heal.

Associate
I played a bit last night and died a few times and had to use all my meds so I wasn't going in injured. What do I do now I've run out? I'm going to get insta gibbed every time if I can't heal.

Buy some more meds lol. Can't afford more meds ? Do some scav runs

You never used to have to heal between raids, they added it this wipe and it is a bit of a money sink tbh. The idea is that you play for long enough that you can craft meds in your hideout but that requires you to absolutely no life it.

Soldato
I don't even know where to buy stuff or if I have any money. Skav runs are fine but when I die 1 minute in I have nothing else to do.

They definitely need to add some sort of guide even with just the basics.

Associate
I don't even know where to buy stuff or if I have any money.

You know you have a stash right ? It says there how much money you have. You buy and sell things you find from the traders.

Therapist is the med trader, you can buy basic meds from her.

The traders are a huge part of the game, its where you make money and buy your gear. It's also where you go to get tasks which help you level up the traders much quicker.

Skav runs are fine but when I die 1 minute in I have nothing else to do.

Don't die 1 minute in, go on a map like Shoreline and just slowly make your way around the map looting stuff, 9 times out of 10 i will never encounter other players when playing Shoreline unless i go towards the shooting or run to hot spots straight after spawn.

Scav run on Factory or Customs are much tougher than on other maps due to all the bottlenecks.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
You will naturally heal over time. If you're completely out then I'd stick to doing Scav runs until you can afford to start buying more meds / finding them in raid to keep you going.

Soldato
I know I have gear on the character screen. Is that the stash?

I don't intend to die in 1 minute but having no clue what I'm doing makes it a little tricky not to. I've been doing factory as it's one of the few that is not listed as insane. All others are hard, is there a medium? I think factory shows 15 minutes next to it while others say 100. I've just assumed it's the quickest to do based on that.

Associate
I know I have gear on the character screen. Is that the stash?

Yes the character screen is your permanent stash. Anything you find in raid or buy from a trader will be stored here.

I don't intend to die in 1 minute but having no clue what I'm doing makes it a little tricky not to. I've been doing factory as it's one of the few that is not listed as insane. All others are hard, is there a medium? I think factory shows 15 minutes next to it while others say 100. I've just assumed it's the quickest to do based on that.

Factory is the hardest map with possible exception of Labs. It's a tiny map which everyone knows inside out as it was the first map ever released. It's the worst place to go to if you want to loot as it has very few loot spots. People usually play it for PVP experience as it's the quickest way to experience that.

Shoreline, Woods, Interchange and Customs are all much better for beginners as the maps are much bigger with a lot more areas to explore and loot, your chances of running into players is much lower as well.

Im not sure what you're talking about with regards to 'minutes'... the length of the raids varies depending on the map, factory is 25 minutes i think, Shoreline 45 minutes and so on. If you press "O" in raid it will show you how long is left in the raid, if you double tap "O" it will tell you which extracts are available to you. If you don't know where the extracts are just google image search the name of the map + "extracts" and you'll find detailed maps showing the extracts as well as all the loot spots etc.

Bookmark this as well, its handy

https://escapefromtarkov.gamepedia.com/Escape_from_Tarkov_Wiki

Last edited:
Soldato
You never used to have to heal between raids, they added it this wipe and it is a bit of a money sink tbh. The idea is that you play for long enough that you can craft meds in your hideout but that requires you to absolutely no life it.

That's my issue, I used to have a great money maker method that didn't sink too much time but they've all been blocked now (main one mentioned in last post). I just can't play with no cash.

Are you fully clued up on all the different ammo types and how good they are against the various armors ?

Bog standard SKS with PS Ammo, thats the best cheap loudout in the game and puts most armored players down rapid.

Oh yeah, I'm up to date with the ammo types and with modding weapons. The problem is gaining the funds to purchase said gear. The SKS with PS ammo is my budget go to combo, I can mow down scavs with it all day but against other PMC's I'll loose every time and that happens way too often.

My all time best weapon is a modded HK416 with 5.56x45 mm M995 ammo to put anything down (taking out guards and AI raiders is so fast with this), otherwise using a heavily modded AK74M with 5.45x39 mm 7N39 "Igolnik" ammo for the incredible attachment variety is the most fun. I also used to keep this little three square slot sniper in my epsilon container on naked quest runs and it was incredible.

HK416.jpg

AK74M.jpg

snipey.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
That video is 40 minutes long. I'll try and find something a little more concise.

The minutes I mentioned are shown on the map when selecting where to go. It's either hard or insane has 2 times which I think are the 2 different times you can enter and a number of minutes. Factory says 15, one near it says 100.

Associate
The minutes I mentioned are shown on the map when selecting where to go. It's either hard or insane has 2 times which I think are the 2 different times you can enter and a number of minutes. Factory says 15, one near it says 100.

Each map has two different times of day you can select. Factory however has both times fixed unlike the other maps. Pay no attention to the difficulty levels, i think the listed raid lengths are incorrect as well... the raids are actually longer than listed.

Soldato
Right getting somewhere now. Got out as a Skav, wasn't intending too but didnt realise it would auto zone me out. Also as i didn't have much xp (didnt see anyone) i didnt complete it properly? Lesson learned for next time.

Associate
Right getting somewhere now. Got out as a Skav, wasn't intending too but didnt realise it would auto zone me out. Also as i didn't have much xp (didnt see anyone) i didnt complete it properly? Lesson learned for next time.

Did it say you got a run through ? if so that's because you didn't get the minimum xp required in a round for it to count properly. All you need to do to have a round count is search a couple or so loot spawns such as filing cabinets, duffle bags etc. If you literally do nothing in a round and then extract you will get a 'run through'... you get to keep the loot but you get hardly any XP.

My advice would be to focus on the map Customs and use the below map to learn where the loot spawns are.

Customs-2d-by-ROFLWOFFL.png

Soldato
You can still get enough xp from looting containers, bags, coats etc if you dont manage to kill someone.

Soldato
New player here also.

Customs is the map - I've done 3 or 4 run throughs in "offline" mode - that way if you die or anything - you don't loose your loot.
Did some skav runs - extracted a couple of times so got the loot I found. Just made sure I kept out the way of the gun fire to get used to the map.
Guys on discord chat last night were helpful with my stupid questions etc!!

Honestly - watch that 40 minute video - very very useful. @CliffyG

Associate
I've had multiple successful runs on customs as a Scav and PMC now. Going to stick with customs until I know it like the back of my hand and move on to the next.

Really enjoying the game, heart pounding, sweating, clenching.. Love it!

Back
Top Bottom