Escape from Tarkov

Soldato
Serious question...where does the pay2win argument come from in this?

Yes, certain starter packs offer additional bits to begin with but it really has no bearing at all to the actual gameplay itself and little advantage. As far as I can tell, you can get everything in game and you can't use any real world money to boost what you have on the fly game to game.

I've had a third person in the last week trot out the "but it's P2W" line today when chatting with a guy at work.

Soldato
Serious question...where does the pay2win argument come from in this?

Yes, certain starter packs offer additional bits to begin with but it really has no bearing at all to the actual gameplay itself and little advantage. As far as I can tell, you can get everything in game and you can't use any real world money to boost what you have on the fly game to game.

I've had a third person in the last week trot out the "but it's P2W" line today when chatting with a guy at work.

I'm a complete noob with the standard edition but there is a small argument towards it being p2w in regards to the secure container. Having that extra space allows you loot expensive items and safely store them knowing that if you die, you at least still have 2 big items that can probably be stored securely. Having the 2x2 box is a real struggle in high tier loot. It's very minimal though. Extra stash space overall also makes it easier to manage all other loot but I wouldn't call that p2w.

Soldato
I'm a complete noob with the standard edition but there is a small argument towards it being p2w in regards to the secure container. Having that extra space allows you loot expensive items and safely store them knowing that if you die, you at least still have 2 big items that can probably be stored securely. Having the 2x2 box is a real struggle in high tier loot. It's very minimal though. Extra stash space overall also makes it easier to manage all other loot but I wouldn't call that p2w.

Ok, I can see some logic in the P2W argument now.

However...can you not get the big secure container by grinding or is it just a starter pack item?

Soldato
Ok, I can see some logic in the P2W argument now.

However...can you not get the big secure container by grinding or is it just a starter pack item?

I have no idea how many millions that would cost, never mind the grind to get there as a standard edition player but yea the EOD edition gives you a nice jump start for sure. Game is amazing though and I will most likely upgrade to EOD version if they have a xmas sale.

Soldato
I have no idea how many millions that would cost, never mind the grind to get there as a standard edition player but yea the EOD edition gives you a nice jump start for sure. Game is amazing though and I will most likely upgrade to EOD version if they have a xmas sale.

Well we had good runs last night so sure we'll be Tarkov millionaires in no time :D

Soldato
Learned another lesson last night. I went into a raid with OP-SKS with 2 additional mags with me. Got into a fight with 4 player Scavs on Woods with Cliffy. I could not for the life of me figure out why my SKS would not reload. Apparently you can only bring one 10 round mag into the raid and the gun can only be reloaded by individually inserting the rounds. Except because I had the other 2 mags in my pockets/rig. The reload wouldn't work. Apparently you can hold down R and it will then allow you to choose manual reload to the weapon only. Was an absolute cluster **** during the raid because of it.

Soldato
Learned another lesson last night. I went into a raid with OP-SKS with 2 additional mags with me. Got into a fight with 4 player Scavs on Woods with Cliffy. I could not for the life of me figure out why my SKS would not reload. Apparently you can only bring one 10 round mag into the raid and the gun can only be reloaded by individually inserting the rounds. Except because I had the other 2 mags in my pockets/rig. The reload wouldn't work. Apparently you can hold down R and it will then allow you to choose manual reload to the weapon only. Was an absolute cluster **** during the raid because of it.

If I read this right you mean because your chest rig didn't have a spare slot for the unloaded mag to go into, you couldn't tap R to reload?

I've come unstuck on that a few times when I get loot hungry and don't leave a spare chest slot for the reload.

Soldato
If I read this right you mean because you're chest rig didn't have a spare slot for the unloaded mag to go into, you couldn't tap R to reload?

I've come unstuck on that a few times when I get loot hungry and don't leave a spare chest slot for the reload.

Na, the magazine for the SKS cannot be removed during the raid. I had 2 additional mags with lots of space that I thought would just reload like a normal weapon. Apparently you have to reload the SKS through the firing chamber. I think if Had emptied the 2 extra mags and kept the ammo loose and then moved the empty magazines to my backpack. I could then reload the SKS. Which would be reloaded 1 bullet at a time from the top of the chamber.

Soldato
Na, the magazine for the SKS cannot be removed during the raid. I had 2 additional mags with lots of space that I thought would just reload like a normal weapon. Apparently you have to reload the SKS through the firing chamber. I think if Had emptied the 2 extra mags and kept the ammo loose and then moved the empty magazines to my backpack. I could then reload the SKS. Which would be reloaded 1 bullet at a time from the top of the chamber.

Which sks, there are a few variants, some which are mag fed and another directly chamber fed.

I have a mag fed variant and no issues tapping R to reload.

Soldato
Which sks, there are a few variants, some which are mag fed and another directly chamber fed.

I have a mag fed variant and no issues tapping R to reload.

From the reading I did thinking this was a bug. Only 20 round mags can be reloaded. the 10 ammo ones you can only have 1 on the gun and then manual reload. Happy to be corrected :D i'll try and re-create tonight.

Soldato
From the reading I did thinking this was a bug. Only 20 round mags can be reloaded. the 10 ammo ones you can only have 1 on the gun and then manual reload. Happy to be corrected :D i'll try and re-create tonight.

I'll drop in for a few again tonight and take in my SKS, normally hesitant to use it as it's quite pimped and don't wanna lose it until i'm a bit better. I have some odd looking 35 round mags for it too.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
People using secure containers as the argument for pay to win are missing the fundamental flaw - that's only there as an insurance policy to mitigate losses if you die. If you don't die, you don't lose out. The biggest benefit of the more expensive editions are short- to medium-term lived in the higher trader standings by default, and increased stash size. Once you're up and running with a standard account, and above level 15, you shouldn't need to store anything more than quest items - especially with the flea market in use. I haven't put many hours in this wipe on my PMC, but I make/made very profitable runs as a scav early on which means I can buy most things I need. Investing in a lucky scav junkbox should be the first "big" purchase any standard account makes. Then it comes down to being smart with inventory management.

Don't keep pistol grips or magazines on guns to save space, you can buy those for not much outlay. Try to keep bags stacked inside each other - never much point keeping any bags smaller than scav backpacks in my opinion. With the changes to hydration and energy it's probably worth keeping some food lying around if you want to jump from one PMC run to the next; although I generally find enough in raid to keep my at a reasonably high level unless I'm staying in the raid until the dying minutes. Keep good ammo that you can't easily purchase - things like 5.45 BS, 7.62 BP, 5.56 M995, M61 and M80. Different play styles also help with this. Once you get a bit more used to the game you can always "trade up" through the raid. You can jump in with nothing more than a hunter, a scav vest and a couple of spare 5 or 10 round mags loaded with M61 or M80. If you hit your shots, you'll kill anyone in the game in 2 or 3 hits to centre of mass. All for the expenditure of what, 40k? You then take the spoils of the kill and use that until you lose it.

Obviously everyone dies eventually and money can run out, but that's where scav runs really shine. A good scav run on interchange, reserve or shoreline can net hundreds of thousands of rubles worth of loot, and you'll always find PMC bodies lying around that haven't been picked clean. Heck, a couple of times I've loaded in as a scav on interchange in Idea and found someone's dumped equipment right in front of me behind a box - instant upgrade from a makarov to a kitted AK, armour, rig, backpack and headset.

Don't forget mission rewards do not time out for collection like insurance returns - I still have painkillers and bottles of water as rewards from one of Therapists first quests sat there, I just pull one out as and when I need to which saves a ton of space.

Associate
Hey, not had this for long but is the hit registry off, as I was in a skav run, come across another player controlled skav. I could only see his head, put multiple shot gun rounds into him and then died from his ak.

The screen telling you where you hit says I hit his torso? Really I could only see his f###ing head. What gives?

Soldato
Well friendly fire was rife last night for the 4 man we had going with everyone bagging a tk each! Had a lot of fun though and closed the night with 4 pmc kills in 1 game (despite needing scav kills). Sadly none of them were highly geared.

We did have a pretty smooth moment in interchange as a 4 man when we lit up 2 player scavs who somehow didnt notice a 4 man roaming scav gang lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Friendly fire, what friendly fire...I have no clue what you're on about :D

I did you, you did cold, cold did me across what, 4 games? I'm just gutted mine didn't count as a scav kill for the quest!

Soldato
Well friendly fire was rife last night for the 4 man we had going with everyone bagging a tk each! Had a lot of fun though and closed the night with 4 pmc kills in 1 game (despite needing scav kills). Sadly none of them were highly geared.

We did have a pretty smooth moment in interchange as a 4 man when we lit up 2 player scavs who somehow didnt notice a 4 man roaming scav gang lol

Fair play handing me that M700 sniper from the PMC killed @ Woods. I stripped it down and made a pretty penny on the flea market. The guy had quite heavily modified various parts.

Soldato
Fair play handing me that M700 sniper from the PMC killed @ Woods. I stripped it down and made a pretty penny on the flea market. The guy had quite heavily modified various parts.

It was your kill mate so naturally you get the spoils and i only looted him as i was searching for meds for both of us plus nicking his armour as mine got rinsed.

You saved my ass twice on that run

Back
Top Bottom