Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that use First Direct to bank with they have finally buckled and are developing an android app

Lots of people were feeding back to them on the site and they insisted on going down the mobile friendly site route to much anger.....until now :)

They have only given "this year" as a time scale

About bloody time (have banked with them since about mid-1993) - there's more than enough Android owners around nowadays to make this worthwhile, although it was kind of understandable if they thought their core demographic was the typical upwardly-mobile iPhone-owning type.

This game just came up on my RSS reader https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.fishlabs.SportsCarChallenge

Then I looked at the permissions and decided to pass :o

Lol yeah -

DIRECTLY CALL PHONE NUMBERS
Allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention. Malicious apps may cause unexpected calls on your phone bill. Note that this doesn't allow the app to call emergency numbers.

READ CONTACT DATA
Allows the app to read all of the contact (address) data stored on your tablet. Malicious apps may use this to send your data to other people. Allows the app to read all of the contact (address) data stored on your phone. Malicious apps may use this to send your data to other people.

WRITE CONTACT DATA
Allows the app to modify the contact (address) data stored on your tablet. Malicious apps may use this to erase or modify your contact data. Allows the app to modify the contact (address) data stored on your phone. Malicious apps may use this to erase or modify your contact data.

MODIFY GLOBAL SYSTEM SETTINGS
Allows the app to modify the system's settings data. Malicious apps may corrupt your system's configuration.

Sounds like a bit much for a racing game!

Anyone got Sky Go working on the S3?

I have just tried the 'skygo_test_0.1.5.apk', hidden the root with OTA and it doesn't work. Sky News works but Sky Movies and Sports don't although they are on my Sky package and worked on my Galaxy Note.

working fine on my S3 m8,but its not rooted so maybe thats why.

Does anyone have any experience with Xtralogic RDP client or something similar? I've often needed remote desktop functionality, though not enough to bother with on my DHD, and I think with the extra grunt and screen of the HOX it's worth considering again?

I've been fiddling around with apps to be abble to sync my music on my phone to my htpc over wifI but also with a wifI remote so I can control the music from my phone.

I don't have any preference on which phone app or app for the htpc(win7)The best I've done is have winamp on the pc and winamp on the phone, these snyc together so any updates on the computer then get copied to the phone and vice versa.

I'm then using ampwifi app to remote control winamp on the htpc.It's working ok but winamp is a bit of a nightmare and it was a lot of hassle setting up, I'm not sure.how it will get on long term, maybe there sure easier options?

The htpc can stay on, so what I'm after is...When I get in the two will sync so I get any songs that I've put on my phone that day will be updated to the htpcThen have a remote from my phone to browse/play htpc music, I do have an xbox, would this be a better way?

Cheers (galaxy s3)

Last edited:
Those not wanting to root or don't get on with SAMBA, try this app: SyncMe.

IMO it's even better than SAMBA and has a wealth of option and the transfers are fast too. All sync tasks are done from the phone so you don't even need to be at your PC.

It costs 65p to add the exclusion feature and is all done via the Play Store. It will fully sync both ways and is rather customisable. I'm replacing SAMBA with it :)

I've set it to sync from phone to PC the internal storage and again the same for the sdxc card but to exclude the Music folder because that's done manually as and when needed :p

Screenshot_2012-06-23-22-53-50.png

Brilliant app!

It doesn't seem to let you choose the extSD card as a source/destination? :confused: :(

Scratch that, I found out how to do it by messing around -

1. Enter Settings (Folder with spanner and hammer at top right corner)
2. Check the box with "Show all device folders" and then exit to main screen
3. On "Sync Jobs" screen, select the computer then select "Device Folder"
4. You should be in root.
5. Browse to "mnt"
6. Browse to "extSdCard"
7. Press "Select extSdCard" at bottom

Job done :D

This is for Galaxy S3 :)

Syncing now so I will let you know how it goes (battery power etc - started a sync about 1800 with 66% battery and 3.75GB to sync)

Last edited:
It doesn't seem to let you choose the extSD card as a source/destination? :confused: :(

Scratch that, I found out how to do it by messing around -

1. Enter Settings (Folder with spanner and hammer at top right corner)
2. Check the box with "Show all device folders" and then exit to main screen
3. On "Sync Jobs" screen, select the computer then select "Device Folder"
4. You should be in root.
5. Browse to "mnt"
6. Browse to "extSdCard"
7. Press "Select extSdCard" at bottom

Job done :D

This is for Galaxy S3 :)

Syncing now so I will let you know how it goes (battery power etc - started a sync about 1800 with 66% battery and 3.75GB to sync)

I kind of figured that out in the first instance so didn't twig others might be confuzzled at first, thanks!

I have found a bug in SyncMe though, it bombs out with an error saying not enough resources on the server (PC) when it starts to transfer some large files. In my instance it always bombs out when copying over GTA3 game files. I imagine it has something to do with something filling up in memory and thus stops the transfer.

I did some investigation and found that it's something on the PC though because even ES File Explorer won't connect wirelessly to my PC until I've restarted my PC.

I'm using a Realtek onboard Gigabit network card so anyone else, and has GTA3 installed on one could you do a test with SyncMe to see if it can be replicated please?

My total transfer size for the sync was about 5GB and that was internal storage. It's not a problem in SyncMe I don't think unless SyncMe is sending over weird corrupted data that my PC is not able to make out and thus kills the network sharing abilities or something...perhaps.

OMEGA has had it fixed since 5.2. I've not seen redraw in any launcher since 5.2 where I would see it often below that version.

I'm on omega 6 and get huge lag when coming out of an app back to the home screen on both nova prime and apex :( Going to look into it properly tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom