Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
That weather widget is rather nice, but also sticking to snowstorm as that one is too minimal! :p

Also snowstorm got an update yesterday and the developer said this:

To all: I'm looking for someone who can create new layouts, and some graphics. I got a totally new version that supports custom layouts, and layouts with clocks. It does also support hour by hour forecast, but I can't release it since I can't find anyone who can create good looking layouts.

So hopefully won't be too long till we get that update :)

On the subject of weather widgets...does anyone know of a weather widget that will not only have my location but also i can add locations from around the world, similar to the Sense weather widget on the One X and the Touchwiz weather widget on the SGS3.

Using the SGS3 and i like the TW weather widget on the SGS3 but was looking for something thats a bit more nicer looking and also gives me more of a detailed forecast. I have snowstorm but that doesnt give me any options to add more locations unless im missing it somewhere.

I've never used any app or software previously which would allow me to track my phone should I lose it, or if it's stolen. I've been messing around with two free apps which are very easy to use and work very well, which I highly recommend.

Wheres my Droid

If you lose your phone, you send it a text message (which includes your secret code) from any mobile, and the app is then activated. The text message does not need to be opened or read from the lost/stolen handset. It automatically texts you back after a few minutes with the GPS co-ordinates of where the phone is, and also a link to googlemaps, AND the address of where the phone is located. I've found this to be VERY accurate so far although I've only tested it at my home address, will definitely test this when I am out at friends houses etc but so far it seems very good. If you have simply misplaced your phone in your house somewhere and can't find it, you can make it ring loud even if it is on silent/vibrate, again by simply texting it your previously set secret code.

Android Lost

This is also free and has loads of features but the one I've tested so far is that it allows you to take pictures from the front and rear camera on your phone. It works very well and if your phone is ever stolen, this might be handy. Reading some of the user comments from the app this stood out - 'The feature that I was most impressed with was this app can send a command to your phone, this makes a popup with a message of your choice e.g. "the battery is low, connect a charger soon", when the user clicks OK it takes a picture with the front facing camera (it does this hidden, it shows a black screen while it does this), it then sends this picture to the androidlost webpage so you can see who has your phone!'

That is the only version on the market, you only get a trial for like 1 week iirc, in order to have it for lifetime and use it on more than 1 device you need to purchase a license key via the app or website.

On the subject of weather widgets...does anyone know of a weather widget that will not only have my location but also i can add locations from around the world, similar to the Sense weather widget on the One X and the Touchwiz weather widget on the SGS3.

Using the SGS3 and i like the TW weather widget on the SGS3 but was looking for something thats a bit more nicer looking and also gives me more of a detailed forecast. I have snowstorm but that doesnt give me any options to add more locations unless im missing it somewhere.

Most will do that. I use HDWidgets at the moment for my weather fix and it allows multiple locations and the widget is highly customisable.

Go weather ex will allow multiple locations too, as will Fancy Widgets and 1weather.

Most will do that. I use HDWidgets at the moment for my weather fix and it allows multiple locations and the widget is highly customisable.

Go weather ex will allow multiple locations too, as will Fancy Widgets and 1weather.

Oh ok, i thought only the touchwiz weather widget allows me to do that...one thing i like about the touchwiz weather widget is the ability to scroll through all my locations on my homescreen. The only thing i dont like about it is sometimes it doesnt update my location even after a few hrs of being in that location. Suppose its a bug of some sort ie i live in Ilford east london and since 11am ive been at my office in Canary wharf...the touchwiz weather widget hasnt picked up my location as of yet even after doing a manual update, only way i can get it to pick it up is by going into the settings and turning the gps location on and off.

Ill try the ones you have mentioned above and see how i get on.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom