Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, gave gReader a try, but it is still only giving me summaries, not full stories, even though I've turned on offline reading and set it to sync every 6 hours. It's obviously synching because I'm getting new stories, but its not downloading the full content. Any ideas?

click on the story title - or click on the continue reading at the bottom of the article.

mrk i cant for the life of me get the simple calender widget to display the full day in the event nor the big coloured bullet that you have. How did you manage it?

Tried the various layouts and all the options but no luck lol.

You sure you have installed the right app/widget ? :p

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImdyLnBhbm9zLndpZGdlbmRhciJd

A few other people installed one app, which was pretty much the same regarding the name and even looked similar.

Sorry I should have linked you to that in my post due to the amount of similar apps/widgets.

jesus, i had the wrong app. That free one doesnt even show up unless you expand the search and scroll halfway down the apps lol.

Cheers matey, it looked so similar to the screenshots i would never have cottoned on to it :)

Wish app developers would give a little more thought to colourblind people. Letting us define the rgb values at least means we can get the same colours across our apps. Unfortunately most of these dont allow that and i have no way of being sure that my phone doesnt look like patchwork :|

By that i mean when they just give u a colour palette to click on, i could be choosing completely diff colours and have no way of knowing lol

jesus, i had the wrong app. That free one doesnt even show up unless you expand the search and scroll halfway down the apps lol.

Cheers matey, it looked so similar to the screenshots i would never have cottoned on to it :)

No problem :)

And yeah it had me confused at first as well! :o

I thought mrk was using the pure calendar agenda widget at first as it looked so similar, however, was trying to work out for like 30 minutes why the text didn't look the same :p :o

Wish app developers would give a little more thought to colourblind people. Letting us define the rgb values at least means we can get the same colours across our apps. Unfortunately most of these dont allow that and i have no way of being sure that my phone doesnt look like patchwork :|

By that i mean when they just give u a colour palette to click on, i could be choosing completely diff colours and have no way of knowing lol

+1

Not colour blind though :p

It is a pain trying to get the right shades of light grey and sky blue for the likes of snowstorm to match the text colour of smooth calendar/simple calendar widget etc. :mad:

OCD! :p :o

Don't know what to do with apex and nova, I want to stay with nova but those issues are annoying me, however, apex is lacking features!

Think I am going back to apex...............again :(

The landscape is the biggest issue for me, snowstorm just looks awful and the other widgets just don't sit quite right when compared to apex.

The reloading of the launcher is an annoying niggle

Shame, because I prefer nova overall especially having the open/close app animations.

Mine looks fine in landscape have you tried restarting nova? Or maybe its because i havent used apex and there is a difference in it thats annoying it. This looks fine to me though...bar one thing.

When i set a wallpaper, it makes me crop it, no option to have a bigger wallpaper. So when i scroll screens i get black borders, same thing if i flip to landscape.

How can i stop my wallpapers being cropped so that i can scroll though and just see more of the picture instead of the black borders?

Yup, tried that and still the same :(

This is what apex looks like and how it should look:

xTwa8.png

And this is how Nova looks:

KpUmK.png

Tried different margins/grid but always the same :(

As for your wallpaper problem:

sef1K.png

That is how android works regarding the cropping, you don't have to have the wallaper the the same res. as your mobile screen, just wack a 1080P wallpaper or whatever on :p

Last edited:
Yup, tried that and still the same :(

This is what apex looks like and how it should look:

xTwa8.png

And this is how Nova looks:

KpUmK.png

Tried different margins/grid but always the same :(

As for your wallpaper problem:

sef1K.png

That is how android works regarding the cropping, you don't have to have the wallaper the the same res. as your mobile screen, just wack a 1080P wallpaper or whatever on :p

eh? it wont let me, if i try to set a wallpaper it makes me crop it. I know i can turn scrolling off, but that doesnt help when i move to landscape. I want it to stop making me crop the wallpaper lol.

@jubei

You can't change that part (the cropping of wallpapers) :p It is how android works with the homescreens.

You just have to extend the box as far as you can and apply it:

A2hAx.png

That works fine for me, no black borders.

Make sure you are using a large wallpaper otherwise that is probably why you are experiencing the black borders.

Also I meant with regards to that SS to make sure that you have wallpaper scrolling turned "on", I just have it turned off as I use a black wallpaper :p

This whole wallpaper applying thing is so confusing sometimes :o :p

@jubei

***snip***

This whole wallpaper applying thing is so confusing sometimes :o :p

Yeah for some reason i dont get the option to expand it out like i used to. Only the portrait style crop box :/

lvXRF.png

Tried to sort your landscape problem out but yeah, seems that when it switches to landscape it orients its columns are aligned to the center rather than the left. Needs them to add an alignment option or default it to left.

Last edited:
Either way my phone is looking far more awesome now, thanks to your help, enjoying it far more lol.

Only thing i have left to do really is the lockscreen. It looks ****e, and the internet shortcut on it is still to stock browser instead of ics+. Any way of customising that?

What mobile do you have?

Yup, will have to post it over in the nova thread on XDA later on and see if the developer fixes/improves that problem in the next beta :)

EDIT:

Indeed, that is the beauty of android :cool:

You can use widgetlocker to customize your lockscreen, by the same developer of Nova.

If it is anything like sense V4, you will have to customize the homescreen launcher/dock to launch the ICS+ browser instead of the default browser.

Last edited:
What mobile do you have?

Yup, will have to post it over in the nova thread on XDA later on and see if the developer fixes/improves that problem in the next beta :)

EDIT:

Indeed, that is the beauty of android :cool:

You can use widgetlocker to customize your lockscreen, by the same developer of Nova.

If it is anything like sense V4, you will have to customize the homescreen launcher/dock to launch the ICS+ browser instead of the default browser.

Oops lol, forgot this was a general android thread, its the sgs3.

Hmm, just seen your edit with the SS above, no idea why that is :/, maybe better to ask someone else who has the Gs 3 to see, maybe there is a setting in the more advanced menu?

Regarding the lockscreen for browser launcher, not sure how it works on touchwiz but with sense you have to have the icons/apps that you want on the lockscreen to also be in the dock of the stock sense launcher.

Hmm, just seen your edit with the SS above, no idea why that is :/, maybe better to ask someone else who has the Gs 3 to see, maybe there is a setting in the more advanced menu?

Regarding the lockscreen for browser launcher, not sure how it works on touchwiz but with sense you have to have the icons/apps that you want on the lockscreen to also be in the dock of the stock sense launcher.

Widget Locker did the trick matey. Just let me put an ics+ shortcut on it and also looks a hell of a lot better than the stock one. All in all feeling very happy with my phone now thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom