Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is K9 mail still the best android email app? Any other ones? I miss the HTC one. I'm currently on stock ICS and the email app although an improvement over the froyo one, it still not as good as the HTC one.

They use very little memory.

Besides android handles the RAM/tasks very well, so it isn't "active" unless required, also that smart tray/notification app only becomes "active" if the app is in full screen mode, which is only when games & videos are running (for me that is), but not running when in an app where the NB is visible.

When you go to your manage apps in settings, how many apps are running?

According to HTC task manager = 20
According to built in google apps section = 10

However, according to quick system info (more accurate and reliable than the built in task managers etc.), over 25 things are showing up (this includes built in processes as well), however, you look at the majority of them and they are all in "sleeping" state/mode etc. therefore not running in the background, kind of like being "frozen" in some ways :p and when the app is launched it becomes active, you return to another app etc. it then goes back to "sleeping" state.

This is a good article on how android works regarding the memory etc. and will explain it far better than what I can :p

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

I imagine that it has improved a lot since 2.2 though so will be even more effective now.

Started using Swiftkey 3 after seeing recommendations on here (and elsewhere).
Liked it so much it has become the first app i have ever bought.

However i now have a slight problem, the personalization menu has the Gmail, Facebook and Twitter greyed out. It seemed to happen after i tried to sync my Gmail account to it, it came back saying the servers were busy and it has been greyed out ever since.

Any ideas how to solve it or has anyone got the same issue?

Nice one benjo - how do I exacty: push to /system/app ?...Never done this before - I'm rooted.

You're meant to do it with ADB, but I think if you just use root explorer and put it in /system/app and restart, it should be ok.

Edit: Just did it with root explorer, didn't need to restart :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom