Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe I managed to fix the issue with FB Messenger.

I used Titanium Backup to delete all data stored by FBM, went back into it so it was like it was a brand new app, signed in and it seems to work properly now

Pretty much. Sure you'll find some places offering free vpn's but I always found they limited bandwidth. I did a lot of hunting around and ended up paying for a VPN for my torrent downloads and streaming. Costs about £7.50 a month but gives me access to connections all over the world. Most important thing is that don't keep logs ;) I use BolehVPN, comes with a nice GUI too.

Sky irritate the hell out of me with their blanket ban on SkyGo and rooted devices as the only people they're impacting are genuine subscribers to their service.

I have a full Sky package, including HD, multi-room and ESPN but not 3D; if I were a content pirate I wouldn't pay for a subscription at all but I'm treated as a pirate as I root my devices.

Why do I root my devices? Unfortunately there are some fundamental features lacking within Android (some the fault of Google and some the fault of third party app developers) that require root to fix, those faults mainly being:

• Lack of cross device data syncing for 3rd party applications, so I use DataSync to keep application data synced between my Nexus4 and Nexus10
  • Lack of reliable backup process, as adb backup doesn't back up all applications and can be flaky. The solution is Titanium Backup and root.

I was visiting my parents for Christmas and ended up watching games through an illegal stream via Sopcast for Android, as Sky have left me no choice.

How does Sky know you're rooted?
I've got a GS2 with CM10.1 and have no issues with Sky Go.
Maybe you need to reset the binary counter with Triangle Away?

Anyone got any tips for wireless gamepads? I'm not rooted so can't do the PS3 pad. Wanting to run emulators mainly but also want to be able to play games like shadowgun easily through the TV.

I gather dual analog sticks would be best for 3D games... The steelseries pad looks great but it's much more than I would spend on a pad for pc/xbox/ps3 nevermind for casual Android gaming.

How does Sky know you're rooted?
I've got a GS2 with CM10.1 and have no issues with Sky Go.
Maybe you need to reset the binary counter with Triangle Away?

In Android you can basically ask it "Can I have escalated privledges? Y/N" and if you're rooted the OS will reply Yes, not rooted - no. If you know in advance to tell some apps no (such as the sky app) then it's possible to avoid this trap etc...

In Android you can basically ask it "Can I have escalated privledges? Y/N" and if you're rooted the OS will reply Yes, not rooted - no. If you know in advance to tell some apps no (such as the sky app) then it's possible to avoid this trap etc...
I figured this would be the way they did it too, but would it not be too easy to circumvent using SU prompt?

I don't think this is the case, as any application asking for SU shell access will cause any SuperUser manager you're using (Superuser or SuperSU) to prompt that Sky Go is asking for elevated privileges.

Before a Sky Go update, simply hiding root via Superuser/SuperSU/OTA Root Keeper would trick Sky Go into working as they renamed the SU binary to something else, as the Sky Go app was actively looking for a binary of that name.

As well as this, I believe Sky Go would also complain if you had no SU binary installer but were running an insecure kernel (I assume it checks a file in the RAM disk, where the insecure flag is changed).

However, since an update it now knows if root is hidden so I assume it checks for files that it knows root managers rename the SU binary to, or worse it checks for the presence of a SU manager such as Superuser/SuperSU etc.

Anyone who's been using SwiftKey Flow Beta. Have you noticed it lagging a bit after the latest update?

Yep mine was really bad, uninstalled and done a clean install using the latest apk and all is good again.
It looks like it might have something to do with installing over the old beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom