Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never noticed that one :p. Both are pretty similiar I guess...

I only found it because it was linked on the page for the other one!

Installed it and am loving it!

Been impressed with the Windows "look" on the Nokia phones but was reluctant due to no Google integration - this is the best of both worlds!

Its amazing that its allowed to be honest!

Can anyone recomend any good apps for hiking? Going to be climbing Mount Snowdon on Saturday.

Is there anything that will use the GPS on our phones, with maps to show our position and the trail we left? Would be good to have it as a backup so we know we're not going wrong. Also be good as a little memento. :)

Firefox received an update last night, some UI improvements and JAVA performance.Also a master password option I've not noticed before meaning Sync users can have that extra level of security.

Screenshot_2013-01-09-08-27-10.png

I notice that on forum reply text boxes that the selection cursor arrow is now usable whereas it didn't exist in the last version.

Bah, Firefox (and Chrome) still have this awful text size rendering issue.

Screenshot_2013-01-09-09-58-58_zps10d21495.png

It's the only thing that stops me using either of them. At least on my S3 I can use the Samsung-ized AOSP browser, but on my Nexus 7 I'm stuck with Chrome. Still can't settle on a decent browser having tried them all. I quite like the simplicity of the AOSP one.

It's something that really sticks out to me when browsing forums, especially Pistonheads, which might have an advert half way down the page that sends the text size all over the place!

Cheers. :)

Will it cache the map data, so we can see maps when we're not on data?

Probably not. For any "serious" hiking I'd suggest Viewranger with OS Explorer (1:25000) maps installed.
The app itself is free but they make their money with OS map licensing - prices vary but for all of dartmoor it cost around £20. The big bonus is its not at all reliant on data / gprs signal - it just needs GPS.
Its got me out of a few sticky situations in the highlands when the cloud base has come down :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom