Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to restore user apps and all their settings and data using Titanium Backup after a CLEAN install?

I want to wipe my phone TOTALLY and then install the Rom and the GApps.
Can i then install Titanium Backup, copy over to SDCard the backed up Titanium files and then simply restore apps?

Not changing roms or anything like that. Just want to do a CLEAN install as the DIRTY install i did is causing screen flicker.

Is it possible to restore user apps and all their settings and data using Titanium Backup after a CLEAN install?

Can i then install Titanium Backup, copy over to SDCard the backed up Titanium files and then simply restore apps?

Not changing roms or anything like that. Just want to do a CLEAN install as the DIRTY install i did is causing screen flicker.

Yup :)

Following on from this....as Nexus 4 has no EXT SD card and only an internal memory where things are stored. I'm guessing that Ti does not backup whats on the SD partition (nor do Nandroid backups) and as the SD partition will get wiped ....will this affect restoring apps (as some apps store data on the SD partition)?

Both TWRP and CWM allow you to wipe without wiping the SD card partition. I think the factory reset option in both is the correct, but I can't quite remember, sorry.

For what it's worth RR3 is a lot more fun since I became an EA gold currency Squilionaire with the help of a file. I would highly recommend you all at least try the game to see how amazing it looks, it blows me away how good looking it is and the controls are extremely well done. If EA hadn't arsed up the payment system I'd say this was the best mobile game out there.

Drop me a message in trust with some more info (ideally a link to) the file you're talking about :)

Would quite like to give this a thorough investigation ;) purely for research purposes of course!

Following on from this....as Nexus 4 has no EXT SD card and only an internal memory where things are stored. I'm guessing that Ti does not backup whats on the SD partition (nor do Nandroid backups) and as the SD partition will get wiped ....will this affect restoring apps (as some apps store data on the SD partition)?

Irony strikes, Google calls the internal partition /sdcard by default anyway. I won't go into how stupid/broken this is and their refusal to support external cards without a junction but anyway...

Ti will put the backup file on the internal memory, you'll need to manually put it somewhere on another PC or upload to dropbox then restore on the new phone then restore in Ti. Appdata is stored in 2 places, the apps themselves are in a place you can't see (this is why it needs root - it bypasses this block) and external data is put on the "external sd" (which on a nexus 4 is the partition extsd or something). Think of it like this:

Big game X stores the application itself under /bin/secretplace which users can't see.
Big game X stores the textures for the game under /extsd/applications/blah which you can see.

That make sense? There are long standing reasons why this exists (mostly to get around an old market limitation handsets have - the SGS1 famously could only download 35meg apps max) and it won't be fixed anytime soon really as cheap handsets still have issues with big downloads.

Drop me a message in trust with some more info (ideally a link to) the file you're talking about :)

Would quite like to give this a thorough investigation ;) purely for research purposes of course!

I am sure I saw it on xda but when I got home it wasnt there. May be post got deleted? Anyway I am looking for the file too.

Irony strikes, Google calls the internal partition /sdcard by default anyway. I won't go into how stupid/broken this is and their refusal to support external cards without a junction but anyway...

Ti will put the backup file on the internal memory, you'll need to manually put it somewhere on another PC or upload to dropbox then restore on the new phone then restore in Ti. Appdata is stored in 2 places, the apps themselves are in a place you can't see (this is why it needs root - it bypasses this block) and external data is put on the "external sd" (which on a nexus 4 is the partition extsd or something). Think of it like this:

Big game X stores the application itself under /bin/secretplace which users can't see.
Big game X stores the textures for the game under /extsd/applications/blah which you can see.

That make sense? There are long standing reasons why this exists (mostly to get around an old market limitation handsets have - the SGS1 famously could only download 35meg apps max) and it won't be fixed anytime soon really as cheap handsets still have issues with big downloads.

Precisely!

So my question is......does Ti backup the app data that is on the /SD partition of the nexus?

But both Cerberus and Lookout can 'Track' a phone from a Home computer!... they're not just for stolen phones you know!!

The Wife uses mine if I'm late home, as I commute 75 miles down the M25/M4 and she's a worrier (especially when she hears there's been an accident) and if I get a phone call whilst driving I usually ignore it!! (we're both IAM drivers and any distraction is a no no)... so Lookout is a good way for the wife to see that I'm still moving and everything is okay!!

Dunno why you're blowing this up into a big problem!!.. I made a suggestion for a question asked!... if you don't like my answer, then that's up to you!!, I'm not telling you or the OP that you HAVE to install either of the apps!!!, but the OP might think it's okay!!

So which soft ware does she use Cerberus or Lookout ! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom