Essential Mac Apps - Mac App Store Now Open...

Associate
Does this mean all those apps I bought for my iPhone, that I haven't been able to use since I went Android can now be used from a Mac?

The Mac App Store is for applications for the mac so not iPhone apps though there may be a crossover at some point i'm sure.

I'm downloading the combo update now, 1006 MB :o

Soldato
Why go for the combo over software update?

Old habits I guess! :p

I'm liking it very much, early days I guess and it certainly needs some more promo's but can understand why some perhaps may be holding off (70/30 profit cut perhaps) but overall its a nice step towards OSX Lion.

Angry Birds looks lovely on the big screen! :p:p

Soldato
I do think it's a bit wrong that I've already purchased a copy of Angry Birds on the iPhone for 59p but now they want me to purchase exactly the same game again for Mac at £2.99 and to add to that it's free on Android.

Soldato
Anyone else keep getting the beautiful beachball when trying to download anything? Rebooted 4 times now and I hut the download button (twitter for mac in this case) and it just beachballs forever.

Tried a few others and still does it, annoying!

Soldato
I do think it's a bit wrong that I've already purchased a copy of Angry Birds on the iPhone for 59p but now they want me to purchase exactly the same game again for Mac at £2.99 and to add to that it's free on Android.

It's support by adverts on Android. As for repurchase well OSX is not iOS, is it? Do you expect to get a PS3 game free because you have the Xbox version?

App Store worked fine for me (I.e I didn't get the bug) and I downloaded Evernote and Twitter. It noticed I have iWork and iLife...

Soldato
Anyone else keep getting the beautiful beachball when trying to download anything? Rebooted 4 times now and I hut the download button (twitter for mac in this case) and it just beachballs forever.

Tried a few others and still does it, annoying!

Odd - I just downloaded and installed Twitter, worked fine for me.

Sorry I can't be any more help :(

Thats the power Apple have given devs. It is wrong. I wouldnt mind paying the same again but you can bet it wont be the fully updated angrybirds iphone users have either. paying 10x as much for a lesser filled game.

Associate
I've been holding off buying iWork for ages as I only wanted Keynote. I don't know if they offered it separately before but I'm loving that!. Downloads easy, hopefully updates work easy and can't complain really. Nice!

Soldato
Smooth installation. Had to download Caffeine and Evernote via the App store to get them to show up as 'installed' on it, even though I already had them... although it was such an instant install it was probably just some code or something that tells the app store it's there.

Soldato
As for repurchase well OSX is not iOS, is it? Do you expect to get a PS3 game free because you have the Xbox version?

Or you could look at it from the point of view that I've already bought this game and they've already had money for it from me. If i bought an MP3 track i would expect to be able to play it on any device capable and not have to by the track for each device.

The Xbox and PS3 analogy almost works but i'm talking about 2 Apple devices under the same account and does seem wrong I have to buy it again meaning Apple and Rovio have had two lots of payment for the same game :(

Fair enough if they've added extra content to it but they haven't

Soldato
Does this mean all those apps I bought for my iPhone, that I haven't been able to use since I went Android can now be used from a Mac?

No. iPhone is ARM cpu with iOS and the mac is intel x86 with OSX. The instruction sets and the linked operating systems are different.

Having used MindNode (and paying for it previously) it's available for free through the store. An excellent application.

Soldato
Or you could look at it from the point of view that I've already bought this game and they've already had money for it from me. If i bought an MP3 track i would expect to be able to play it on any device capable and not have to by the track for each device.

The Xbox and PS3 analogy almost works but i'm talking about 2 Apple devices under the same account and does seem wrong I have to buy it again meaning Apple and Rovio have had two lots of payment for the same game :(

Fair enough if they've added extra content to it but they haven't

However they've spent money on developing the game for a completely different platform. That costs - that's what they need to recoup.

Let's start at the beginning - Apple does not own the right to the software. Apple is licensed to distribute the software through their stores. The price of the software is set by the owner (licensing developer/company) and by contract Apple is bound, legally, to hold that price. It is the developer that is stating that you will pay for the iOS and the OSX versions separately - there's no technical system available to the developer to say if you have one that you can use the other for a discount or for free.. because Apple's system doesn't support that business model (they want their 2x30% cut hence the motivation).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom