• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

eTeknix review i9-10900x and i9 10940x

Associate
Did you read the same reviews as the rest of us? The 3950x is faster in many cases, and uses a lot less power

which is fine if you have a games machine, not so good if you want to run 8 NVMe drives ;)

Performance is in the ball park of 3950x in single thread, if not better, power does not matter as a single machine my machine can use what ever it needs.

Associate
So you didnt actually read any reviews then by your comment.

Yes I have read plenty, look I have an 8 core TR, more cores isn’t giving me anything I need, I bought into HEDT for the platform expandability, specifically fast IO and lanes to run my gear, not cores.

A 10/12 core 10900x/10920x will do just fine, I can get that and a motherboard cheaper than a 3950x and it will be faster than a 3950x when I am finished with it for my use case, added bonus it will heat my house :D

Don't get me wrong TR3 is awesome, if money was no object I would be all over it, it is the best platform for those that need it.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes I have read plenty, look I have an 8 core TR, more cores isn’t giving me anything I need, I bought into HEDT for the platform expandability, specifically fast IO and lanes to run my gear, not cores.

A 10/12 core 10900x/10920x will do just fine, I can get that and a motherboard cheaper than a 3950x and it will be faster than a 3950x when I am finished with it for my use case, added bonus it will heat my house :D

Don't get me wrong TR3 is awesome, if money was no object I would be all over it, it is the best platform for those that need it.

What you need to buy is a calculator.

Associate
No, I calculate just fine

Chips don’t run without boards, I should have been clearer

X10900 =£600 , motherboard = ~ £250

3950x =£750, x570 motherboard = ~£250 to get 8x/8x/8x (if you know better let me know)

In fact to run my current drive set up I would actually need to spend an additional ~ 200 on the x570 so I could put my NVMe in a PCI 3.0 8x NVMe RAID card, which has some drawbacks beyond price.

Less of an issue when 4Tb drives are more affordable.

Associate

3950x =£750, x570 motherboard = ~£250 to get 8x/8x/8x (if you know better let me know)

In fact to run my current drive set up I would actually need to spend an additional ~ 200 on the x570 so I could put my NVMe in a PCI 3.0 8x NVMe RAID card, which has some drawbacks beyond price.

Why would you have a system as an option knowing full well it won't work for your use case?

Also, you are comparing the 12 core vs a 16 core cpu.

Soldato

One note, 10900XE is slower than the cheaper 3900X, and you can use the 3900X on £110 board.
Also you compare apples and oranges considering that X570 platform has pcie 4.0 and not 3.0 like the intel platform.

Which means you can run pci-e 3.0 NVME 2x raid on socket 2 or on the chipset without any bottlenecking.
Also AMD has said they will keep the 2000 series of Threadripper in production, so if you need more pcie lanes you can get a 2950X which is dirty cheap.

Also consider X299 is dead platform. This is the last CPU for it. AM4 has 1 more gen still to come and TRX4 is going to be here for the long term.

Associate
Why would you have a system as an option knowing full well it won't work for your use case?

Also, you are comparing the 12 core vs a 16 core cpu.

My response was to comments telling me to buy a 3950x because I said that the 10 series actually fills a nice hole left behind by AMD that I fit.

Just because 3950x is cheap and powerful, it doesn’t quite work in the HEDT case that AMD once filled, then my maths was brought in to question, which I have the numbers on because I am evaluating all options, I know the Intel platform is flogging a dead horse and I might get a further upgrade out of AM4 if I go with that and assume things like drives get bigger, cheaper and faster (which is always the way) and then I’ll make do with less. It’s all about finding the right set of compromises.

One note, 10900XE is slower than the cheaper 3900X, and you can use the 3900X on £110 board.
Also you compare apples and oranges considering that X570 platform has pcie 4.0 and not 3.0 like the intel platform.

Also consider X299 is dead platform. This is the last CPU for it. AM4 has 1 more gen still to come and TRX4 is going to be here for the long term.

I have a couple of addin cards so slots are a premium, you can’t just use a cheap AM4 board as on some of them the 3rd slot is only wired for 4x, I have done a fair bit of research on this.

At this stage PCIe 4 vs 3 makes no odds, I am sure it will in future (the larger/faster bit) I already have more than pcie speeds due to raid of cheap disks.

The cheapest option for me is to drop in a 2xxx of course but the jump from 1xxx to 2xxx is barely worth the cost, again, I have enough cores, I want some more speed.

It is also true I could down grade AM4 CPU buy a 38/3900x and I am still mulling that over, it would probably do just not as fast as the 3950 or 10xxx (factoring in I will likely run a good overclock as is usually the case with Intel)

Last edited:
Associate
My response was to comments telling me to buy a 3950x because I said that the 10 series actually fills a nice hole left behind by AMD that I fit.

Just because 3950x is cheap and powerful, it doesn’t quite work in the HEDT case that AMD once filled, then my maths was brought in to question, which I have the numbers on because I am evaluating all options, I know the Intel platform is flogging a dead horse and I might get a further upgrade out of AM4 if I go with that and assume things like drives get bigger, cheaper and faster (which is always the way) and then I’ll make do with less. It’s all about finding the right set of compromises.

Man, you are talking about the 10 core intel. My bad.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

is a 18core Xeon really intel's top end HEDT chip?

Im sure i've seen other ones with higher cores...

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Its not, but Wendell tests the W-3175 which is a $3000 28 core part

Ah thought so, I knew i'd seen higher core counts before.

Do you happen to have a link or somewhere that shows intel's full HEDT lineup? Just want to see all the offerings they have, and how they compare with Threadripper counterparts chip for chip

Back
Top Bottom