• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

eTeknix review i9-10900x and i9 10940x

Associate
Well I just ordered 2x 10940X for a couple of desk builds so I will be interested to see how they go. Not seeing any exciting motherboards for these here in Sweden yet, anyone got any recommendations?

Soldato
OP
Thanks!

Looking at this, seems as if 28 cores is the highest they offer.. Which is still beneath the 3rd tier offering from Threadripper at 32cores.

Intel are really in the gutter here

Intel have higher core count parts - just not for general consumption (or cost lol)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...alable/platinum-processors/platinum-9282.html

Cascade Lake-AP is the top of the stack ( Cascade Lake -W, -X, -SP and -AP in that order). It has 56 cores (112 threads) and a 400 w base clock TDP.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1418...inum-9200-cpu-intels-biggest-cpu-package-ever

Puts it as a $50k cpu.

Last edited:
Soldato
So not a gaming cpu :(

These CPU's while not designed for gaming in mind are actually capable once overclocked. I game on my 7980XE overclocked and also have the other Intel mainstream stuff (all brought prior to Ryzen third gen before anyone wants a pop) and its more then capable. Its not actually to hard thanks to being able to overclock on a per core basis with these CPUs down to voltage level to have some of the better cores sitting at higher clock speeds. As can be seen from few of the gamers nexus benchmarks when overclocked the 10980XE does reasonable in gaming, using gamers nexus as he shows plenty of the CPU's also overclocked.

Am I saying get these CPU's for gaming, nope, but tweak them right and you can game pretty nicely on them. For me aside from some games like Civ 6 and Warhammer 2 during end of turns with AI, the limit is usually with the GPU (abit on a 100hz panel), Only game that comes to mind which seems to really dislike these higher core count stuff is FC5 from what I recall, but even then I was usually GPU bound.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Intel have higher core count parts - just not for general consumption (or cost lol)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...alable/platinum-processors/platinum-9282.html

Cascade Lake-AP is the top of the stack ( Cascade Lake -W, -X, -SP and -AP in that order). It has 56 cores (112 threads) and a 400 w base clock TDP.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1418...inum-9200-cpu-intels-biggest-cpu-package-ever

Puts it as a $50k cpu.

Isnt that a server class CPU though?

I thought the 28core was the highest on the HEDT platform

Caporegime
These CPU's while not designed for gaming in mind are actually capable once overclocked. I game on my 7980XE overclocked and also have the other Intel mainstream stuff (all brought prior to Ryzen third gen before anyone wants a pop) and its more then capable. Its not actually to hard thanks to being able to overclock on a per core basis with these CPUs down to voltage level to have some of the better cores sitting at higher clock speeds. As can be seen from few of the gamers nexus benchmarks when overclocked the 10980XE does reasonable in gaming, using gamers nexus as he shows plenty of the CPU's also overclocked.

Am I saying get these CPU's for gaming, nope, but tweak them right and you can game pretty nicely on them. For me aside from some games like Civ 6 and Warhammer 2 during end of turns with AI, the limit is usually with the GPU (abit on a 100hz panel), Only game that comes to mind which seems to really dislike these higher core count stuff is FC5 from what I recall, but even then I was usually GPU bound.

Both Xeon and TR 3 are more than just capable Gaming CPU's, absolutely no worries there. The problem with the Xeon is as HEDT performance goes its competing with an AMD Mainstream part.
To me that just seems a little pathetic, its like: well if you need the extra PCIe lanes, its good value, i guess? what happened for Intel's best HEDT to be that option?

Soldato
Both Xeon and TR 3 are more than just capable Gaming CPU's, absolutely no worries there. The problem with the Xeon is as HEDT performance goes its competing with an AMD Mainstream part.
To me that just seems a little pathetic, its like: well if you need the extra PCIe lanes, its good value, i guess? what happened for Intel's best HEDT to be that option?

Where did include or exclude anything about other CPUs? I did not simply put, I am talking specifically about the i9-10xs gaming performance, not saying to go out and buy it. You can actually see my first sentence under the video i specifically say

Am I saying get these CPU's for gaming, nope, but tweak them right and you can game pretty nicely on them.

Caporegime
Where did include or exclude anything about other CPUs? I did not simply put, I am talking specifically about the i9-10xs gaming performance, not saying to go out and buy it. You can actually see my first sentence under the video i specifically say

Surley if you're looking at gaming performance there are other chips which do it as well or better for much less than $1000, its a workstation CPU and a pretty crap one.

The ONLY thing it has going for it is 64 PCIe lanes for $1000 or less.

Soldato
Surley if you're looking at gaming performance there are other chips which do it as well or better for much less than $1000, its a workstation CPU and a pretty crap one.

Yes and once again where did I say it to buy it? my very own statement with that initial post I said to not go out buy this for gaming. Once again I am talking about how for gaming when tweaked they actually perform solid. Is that a recommendation to go out and buy it? Nope not at all but does not detract from fact if you tweak it can actually get solid gaming experience on it for most the part.

Caporegime
Yes and once again where did I say it to buy it? my very own statement with that initial post I said to not go out buy this for gaming. Once again I am talking about how for gaming when tweaked they actually perform solid. Is that a recommendation to go out and buy it? Nope not at all but does not detract from fact if you tweak it can actually get solid gaming experience on it for most the part.

I didn't say you did, i'm just pointing out there are better gaming options, "oh it does quite well at gaming" is hardly a justification for this thing.

Soldato
I didn't say you did, i'm just pointing out there are better gaming options, "oh it does quite well at gaming" is hardly a justification for this thing.

Absolutely there is better options for gaming which use less power and cost much less. That much is obvious which is why in my own post I said not to get this for gaming. Me saying to not go out and get this for gaming pretty much is opposite of me justifying it. That still does not detract you can game on it fine which is the answer I was replying to.

Back
Top Bottom