eXtreme Air Cooling - Build Log + Overclocking

Soldato
OP
well the old setup does over 4ghz primestable... so well want something a little better... I think Mr W3bbo is safe for now.. well until I can get some low ambient runs on this setup :)

Soldato
OP
right I am hitting my head against a wall right now... although the new setup has raised the max clock I can run at ambient I am still hitting an issue of temps on ambient runs seems my Q6600 is a right women (tempremental!) and I have issues once cores start hitting the low 60's...

I can prime at 4.032ghz / 4.041ghz / 4.050ghz / 4.059ghz for anything up to 4 hours but all it takes is 1 core to hit 63c and GAME OVER...

I am sure I can get more from the CPU if I can control the temps but I think its a matter of my TRUE not being man enough the CPU slowly increases in temps as the run goes (I can even drop fan speeds and the increase in temps doesnt increase in speed) which suggests to me I have reached a point where the thermal load is to much for the heatsink to move..

So right now its back to the drawing board! Might try and IFX-14 and see if the increased surface area gives me a bit more.. or some night runs where I can have a lower ambient :D

Soldato
right I am hitting my head against a wall right now... although the new setup has raised the max clock I can run at ambient I am still hitting an issue of temps on ambient runs seems my Q6600 is a right women (tempremental!) and I have issues once cores start hitting the low 60's...

I can prime at 4.032ghz / 4.041ghz / 4.050ghz / 4.059ghz for anything up to 4 hours but all it takes is 1 core to hit 63c and GAME OVER...

I am sure I can get more from the CPU if I can control the temps but I think its a matter of my TRUE not being man enough the CPU slowly increases in temps as the run goes (I can even drop fan speeds and the increase in temps doesnt increase in speed) which suggests to me I have reached a point where the thermal load is to much for the heatsink to move..

So right now its back to the drawing board! Might try and IFX-14 and see if the increased surface area gives me a bit more.. or some night runs where I can have a lower ambient :D

That sounds like it could be interesting, though presumably you can't fit one of those 14cm beasts between the two sets of heatsink fins... - a proper sealed 14cm duct across the two main heatsink bits and a 12cm delta in a 12cm-8cm plastic converter thing on the backplate heatsink.would be awesome.:cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
out of interest as im modding my case what paint did you use for the black parts and how many coats, what type and what was the order of coating, i know its asking a lot but i cant find this info in your thread :)

Soldato
OP
out of interest as im modding my case what paint did you use for the black parts and how many coats, what type and what was the order of coating, i know its asking a lot but i cant find this info in your thread :)

Just metal paint from local well known hardware store! Basically the case was striped down removed most of the rivets to so its all screw based now.. then everything got wet sanded with 800 the 1200 grit.. Then applied an two coats of undercoat and two coats of main coat.. once each coat had dried got sanded with 1200 grit.. where I wanted a matt finish I left it some parts got sprayed with a lacqure (sp!) coating

Soldato

Time for scythe orochii ? :D
I think you could slap 3rd fan on that beast, and its almost three times as big as TRUE.

Soldato
OP
Time for scythe orochii ? :D
I think you could slap 3rd fan on that beast, and its almost three times as big as TRUE.

Might look into it but it fins are not to dense not sure what sort of surface area you are getting in comparison to a TRUE with dense fins... although would have been nice if they had used a real fan on that test rather than some 500RPM nancy boy

Back
Top Bottom