1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F1 2009 Season discussion/development thread

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Duke, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Sparky-F1

Sgarrista

2. frakker

Mobster

3. qwerty

Wise Guy

Just heard a rumour that Jenson Button has been offered a drive at Toro Rosso but it is conditional on his changing his name to Sebastian Button as it fits in better with the team's image :D

4. Sparky-F1

Sgarrista

One of the most bonkers nationalities "for sure"

5. NeilMick

Hitman

6. Sparky-F1

Sgarrista

Was reading that last night, he is losing the plot in my opinion. He did a lot for F1 dont get me wrong, but is starting to appear a little "flakey".

7. Skeeter

Caporegime

New for 2009:

Drink Along with F1!

1 shot for every "for sure" in the coverage, can you make it to the chequered flag?

8. JRS

Capodecina

I'm struggling to see anything particularly objectionable in that article.

1) He wants teams to commit to the sport - great.
    2) If they make that commitment, then he wouldn't mind seeing the cost-cutting nonsense aborted - great.
    3) He reckons introducing KERS is a mistake since it'll have ****-all relevance to the Real World™ - he could well be right there.

I know this forum seems to have a fixation regarding Bernie actually being Satan, so I guess I'm not going to get an answer here that makes much sense. But where d'you take issue with what he said in that interview?

9. Sparky-F1

Sgarrista

Because in the full interview i read last night he also speaks of taking legal action against any team which puilled out. That's really going to get them all to commit isn't it!

10. Duke

Man of Honour

11. JRS

Capodecina

F1 is a business. Why shouldn't a business take legal action if someone breaches a contract?

And if they won't commit - fine, then the rules with carry on getting butchered in accordance with the grand vision of Obergruppenführer Mosley. But what the hell, right? It's only supposed to be Formula ******* One, the pinnacle of motorsport....

12. Sparky-F1

Sgarrista

Why would you enter into a contract with someone that refuses to accept that teams deserve far more from the pot that F1 generates.

13. JRS

Capodecina

Emphasis is my own.

***edit***

Oh, and it seems like Mad Max's cost-cutting schemes are already driving people out. But no, that's fine. You all just keep on thinking that Bernie Ecclestone is the root of all evil and that he's the only thing wrong with F1 right now....

***edit again***

Gets even better. From here:

Damn that evil Bernie for advancing the Williams team the best part of £15million! Damn him to hell!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  14. sunama

Capodecina

I quite like Bernie.
    Some of his ideas for the sport are a little outlandish, but he does give great interviews and would be fantastic guest to have around for dinner.

15. Duke

Man of Honour

And I'm sure if he couldn't make it, he'll send around his chief whip instead ;)

16. amigafan2003

Capodecina

**RUMOUR ALERT**

Now, I'll make this quite clear, this is a rumour based on a few weird sources that I can't link - I'm just posting it here for poseterity in case it turns out to be true (and somoene has probably already posted the same somewhere in this thread).

Mclaren Mercedes engine builders tasked to build FOUR extra engines up, which Mclaren don't need.
    Fry, Ross Brawn and Schumacher seen at a hotel somewhere in Northampton shire last week .
    Honda to be bought out by a Fry, Brawn, Schumacher conglomerate - paperwork and funding 95% complete.
    Announcement to be made this Friday.

17. frakker

Mobster

Read yesterday that the Honda staff had been told that the team has now been bought out, so who knows, these rumours might have some legs on them?

18. sunama

Capodecina

If Brawn AND MS are involved then Honda may be able to move forward. If it happens, I think to save some money, MS himself, should drive the car. ;)

19. Malt_Vinegar

Underboss

Exciting Honda news!! When will we see it written anywhere official?

20. JRS

Capodecina

Friday, if amigafan2003's source is to be believed.