F1 2019 - Teams and Drivers - Who goes where?!

Soldato
Ocon's crazy to have turned down a one year deal with Williams, if those reports are correct. Perfect opportunity to spank the latest young British hopeful and keep himself in the forefront of Mercedes' minds.

Associate
My understanding is that it's Ocon that wants the one-year deal so that he can see what's available at the end of next year. I believe Russell has signed a multi-year deal so Williams may even go for one year with Ocon if they can raise the cash for their budget.

Soldato
Ocon should bite their hand off at whatever they're offering. If he's good enough then teams will pay to prise him away, just like Merc did with Bottas. Williams have history at making business out of driver compensation contracts.

Associate
So FI have confirmed Perez for next year, why are they waiting to announce the obvious that Stroll is going there, with one of the williams seats already taken, and them talking about Kubica and Ocon for the other seat. Stroll obviously isn't staying.

Soldato
So FI have confirmed Perez for next year, why are they waiting to announce the obvious that Stroll is going there, with one of the williams seats already taken, and them talking about Kubica and Ocon for the other seat. Stroll obviously isn't staying.

I read a story that it was Mercedes that blocked the immediate move of Stroll to Racing Point Force India, something to the effect of 'if you get rid of Ocon, who has a contract, out of the seat good luck with engine supply'. It was Kubica that was going to take Strolls' seat at Williams not Ocon.

So I wouldn't think it was a stretch that it's Mercedes that is the splinter in the works, as to why that would affect the announcement of Stroll to RP-FI who knows - but it wouldn't surprise me if it was Merc'.

Soldato
I’d expect so unless Honda pull of some miracle on power and Red Bull can challenge.
In Austin Gasly was only a tenth behind Ricciardo and Verstappen in Q1, and apparently they've up there in the speed trap too (despite having a supposedly draggy car). Given how little the Toro Rosso has been developed this year (and how quick it has been going in recent events) I'd say Red Bull could be up there challenging Mercedes and Ferrari more than at any point in the last 4 years, but you have to assume that on reliability they will still fall short.

Caporegime
In Austin Gasly was only a tenth behind Ricciardo and Verstappen in Q1, and apparently they've up there in the speed trap too (despite having a supposedly draggy car). Given how little the Toro Rosso has been developed this year (and how quick it has been going in recent events) I'd say Red Bull could be up there challenging Mercedes and Ferrari more than at any point in the last 4 years, but you have to assume that on reliability they will still fall short.
Honda have also brought more upgrades for Gasly's car this weekend too, hence the grid penalties.

Soldato
I'd say Red Bull are playing the long game going with Honda and hoping for a competitive out of the box package in 2021. I doubt they're expecting to beat Merc next season, would need the Honda engine to find a bit too much in 1 off season I think.

Probably be better than they are now but still third best.

Caporegime
100%. RB will most likely end up in the midfield battle as that Honda is an unreliable donkey at the best of times, as Toro Rosso have shown on multiple occasions this year.
Honda are pushing the upgrades hard in search of power. It’s way easier to make a powerful engine reliable than make a reliable engine powerful and keep the reliability. And can the Honda really be as unreliable as the Renault in the Red Bull this year?

Soldato
Even a one year buy out of Verstappen’s contract would be very expensive.

Ferrari didn’t adapt to the last new regs very well at all, so it might be seen as something of a gamble going to them ahead of the 2021 changes. Unless Honda turn out to be dreadful.

Back
Top Bottom