F1 2019 - Teams and Drivers - Who goes where?!

Soldato
That remaining seat seems to be Ocon's only remaining chance. Looks unlikely if Mercedes have chosen to prioritise Russell, unless Williams are that short in cash (and Mercedes that flush) that they'll place Ocon as well.

Soldato
It does seem odd that they've given Russell the seat ahead of Ocon. I doubt Ocon would have refused it if he had no other options as any drive is better than no drive. I'd imagine neither would have cost Williams a penny, and if it was up to Williams I guess they'd have preferred Ocon's speed and experience over yet another relatively unproven rookie (it's not like Russell is being developed for Williams's long term benefit).

Caporegime
Sure - there are other drivers I'd kick out of seats before Magnussen, but then again Haas are not a bottom team and you'd think that they should be able to put someone in the car with some real potential. I find Haas a little frustrating, in that there isn't an ambition to win but instead they just want to do well. There doesn't seem to be a plan over 5 years to say break into the top three teams or plot a course to the constructor's championship. It seems more a case of borrowing as much of Ferrari as they can to keep costs down, get some sponsorship, put two ordinary equally unambitious drivers in the car and hey presto, the Haas dream of having an F1 team is complete and it didn't cost too much. It might not actually win anything, but it is there.

Just how they come across to me, anyway. I don't really understand what the point of Haas is, what is their purpose other than just being in F1.

Sounds realistic to me.
Really, how are many of the lower teams going to be able to compete with the big boys?
And yeah haas are just using f1 as an advert, as I suppse m are.

Renault are dissaponting (annoying as I support them). All down to that engine. They don't deserve 4th. If force India didn't have their points wiped they'd be 6th

Soldato
And yeah haas are just using f1 as an advert, as I suppse m are.

Yes, but an advert for what? Other racing series that Haas are involved in? The Haas machining company that is, in the grand scheme of things, a reasonably small business (although it is global, it doesn't sell the brand to the public).

Maybe Gene Haas just likes racing, but isn't too bothered about winning.

Soldato
Ocon only wanted a one year deal (with a view to taking Bottas seat in 2020), Williams wanted a multi-year deal, apparently...
He's a very silly young man if he turned down a seat for that reason, even in a Williams. Bottas had a contract with Williams too, and he moved to Mercedes despite it. Very, very few drivers have left F1 and successfully returned.

Man of Honour
I think Ocon's future is currently at the whim of Toto Wolff who ultimately wants him as an option to replace Bottas.
More likely that Williams turned down a one year deal for him.

Also it appears Kubica might actually get the seat as he's found some more backing.

Soldato
Lets not forget that Haas don't have prize money access yet for the column 1 payments, this is only their 3rd full year and to get this they need to place in the top 10 in 2 out of the last 3 seasons. Column 1 is roughly £25mil, so its no small amount they are not getting yet.
Maybe keeping the same drivers while having a bigger development budget (unless they just rinse the prize money out of the f1 team) will help them. As much as I don't think either of their drivers deserve to continue next year.

Soldato
Lets not forget that Haas don't have prize money access yet for the column 1 payments, this is only their 3rd full year and to get this they need to place in the top 10 in 2 out of the last 3 seasons. Column 1 is roughly £25mil, so its no small amount they are not getting yet.
Maybe keeping the same drivers while having a bigger development budget (unless they just rinse the prize money out of the f1 team) will help them. As much as I don't think either of their drivers deserve to continue next year.
But Ferrari get a disproportionate chunk of the money so that must be helping Haas and cutting the money Ferrari are seen to spend on development.
Andi.

Soldato
Except Haas cant buy anything aero related and we all know that this is a huge budget sink area for the teams, so I think its fair to assume that the £25mil would make a difference to Haas.

Man of Honour
I can see Hamilton calling it quits if he wins this season. He's said in the past that it'd be cool to match Fangio and that he won't be around long enough to beat Schumacher. Ocon will get his seat.

Could be anything like that in his contract. I don’t think he will go yet though, Mercedes look good going into next season. He will almost certainly be gone by the next big rule change. Can’t blame him, he has achieved so much and is minted for life.

Caporegime
There's the first nail in Ocon's 2019 F1 plans :(

Ocon's out of F1 and not coming back. Mercedes have no faith in their own drivers, preferring to give their prize seat to a jobbing midfielder over their own nurtured talent, and even signing them for longer whilst their nurtured talent languish and leave F1 altogether.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't realistically see Hamilton retiring after this season, there's at least 2 more years he can plunder wins and records before the status quo is going to change at all. He's 20 wins behind Schumachers all time record and he has won at least 9 races in the last 5 seasons + the remaining races this season it's seriously doable.

Merc can't go into next season with an Ocon and Bottas lineup either there's no marquee driver there in the best car on the grid. Alonso would be getting the call if that happened!

Soldato
Ocon's out of F1 and not coming back. Mercedes have no faith in their own drivers, preferring to give their prize seat to a jobbing midfielder to their own nurtured talent, and even signing them for longer whilst their nurtured talent languish and leave F1 altogether.

I rate Ocon just as I rate Perez as a very decent driver (I think his season at McLaren was too early for him) and think he'd do a solid job if called upon - he's certainly been consistent in the Force India. He's not Hamilton, but few are, and frankly none of the drivers in F1 next season could do what he has been doing.

But I do have concerns for Ocon since Russell was planted at Williams ahead of him. That Mercedes have let Wehrlein leave is a positive for Ocon I suppose (in that he hasn't left yet).

Can't realistically see Hamilton retiring after this season, there's at least 2 more years he can plunder wins and records before the status quo is going to change at all. He's 20 wins behind Schumachers all time record and he has won at least 9 races in the last 5 seasons + the remaining races this season it's seriously doable.

Merc can't go into next season with an Ocon and Bottas lineup either there's no marquee driver there in the best car on the grid. Alonso would be getting the call if that happened!
Maybe that's what Alonso is waiting for? ;)

Hamilton's just signed a contract, and unlike Rosberg I doubt he'll hang his gloves up just because he wins the title; no disgrace on Rosberg for quitting when he achieved his goal, but Hamilton's already got four titles, I doubt a fifth isn't going to change his mind.

Back
Top Bottom