F1 2019

Associate
I’ve been toying with this exact setup. Only problem is that it has to be desk mounted. I don’t have the space for anything else. Do you think it would be ok or am I wasting my money? Have a g27 currently.

Mine is also desk mounted (I'll share some pics later), I don't think it was a waste of money for myself, but others might feel differently based on how much they value gaming, or their financial circumstances.

Associate
This isn't from first hand experience but I've done quite a bit of reading about Fanatec wheels recently. The wheel clamp is supposedly a good clamp, similar to the Thrustmaster clamps. The FFB is stronger with the Fanatec wheels than Logitech, from memory the G29 (which I'd assume is similar strength to the G27) has a torque of 2.2 Nm and the CSL Elite is ~6 Nm. So you have to consider if your desk is strong enough but I'd imagine any full size desk would be. The pedals are a slightly different issue, the normal 2 pedals are fine apparently but the addition of the load cell means you need something to stop the pedals sliding when you're applying heavy pressure on the brake. Though I'd imagine as most desks are against a wall that the wall will act as a pretty good stop to the pedals sliding away :D

Yup similar clamp to my old T500, but I think that clamp was better, didn't budge, the CSL E does tip forward slightly under pressure.

T500 was about 4.4Nm, this was a massive jump from when I switched over from a Logitech DFGT, which felt like a toy afterwards.

T500 to CSL E isn't as big a jump in FFB, however the quality of the feedback feels a lot nicer to me on the CSL E, and more consistent, not notchy. It just feels so much more precise, and polished as a product. You can really place the car better in corners. I was hot lapping around Melbourne and had hit a wall with the T500, whatever I did I just couldn't beat my 1:22.3, after messing around with the CSL E this morning and still not being totally comfortable with settings, I've managed to put in a 1:21.458!

Thanks for the reply,
Desk should be strong enough, I built it out of mdf. Only issue being that the underside of the table is about 50mm deep so will prob have to modify the desk.
Pedals should be fine with the wall as you say but I can always make a mounting plate to fix it in place.

You both are right about the pedals sliding, they did, I can't have them against the wall cos of my short legs so I put something between the wall and pedals but this didn't help because they starting tipping when I braked, I ended up mounting them to a board:

lLKyIcm.jpg

Associate
Some pics:

Not the most ideal setup in terms of monitor positioning, I intended on having 1 screen first, but then decided on 2 quite late in the day after I had already installed the desk.
TgEDr2F.jpg

This rim is fantastic, such a polished and premium feeling product, even has quick release :) Another positive with this is that I can adjust wheel base settings on the fly in game without the need to do it from a software control panel.
bxdBgH8.jpg

I might have to become one of those people who wear gloves while they play, otherwise I may end up ruining the hell out of this lovely material.
e6p4gEO.jpg

Quick vid of the rim.

Associate

It is basically that bundle but with a different rim (https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-formula-v2.html), the bundled rim is more or less similar to the one I bought but just without the rotary dials, and a few other switches.

I purchased things separately (CSL Elite Wheel Base + - officially licensed for PS4™, ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2 EU, CSL Elite Pedals LC EU) because at first I bought the pedals to use with my old wheel, but then was so impressed with them that I decided to go all Fanatec.

Associate
That perfect! Thanks mate. Going to be tight but I might just get away with not having to modify my desk

The listing on the Fanatec site says:
"Table clamp included. Thickness range of the table board/desktop that the table clamp is able to lock to is 1,0 to 6,0 cm"

My desk is 40mm thick, no problems, should fit your 50mm desk fine.

Associate
The listing on the Fanatec site says:
"Table clamp included. Thickness range of the table board/desktop that the table clamp is able to lock to is 1,0 to 6,0 cm"

My desk is 40mm thick, no problems, should fit your 50mm desk fine.
Its not the thickness it’s how far back the clamp goes. Desk has a lip which is 50mm

Soldato
So what difficulty for AI does everyone use? I started the game at 90 even though in the last game I was at 95 but am now up to 100, the highest I've ever had it at. Still managed to qualify 2nd in my McLaren with a not too powerful engine at Monza which was surprising to me.

Feel like I'm getting faster all the time now though, like on time trials I just put in the 666th faster lap on pc in Singapore and I'm not good at the track, barely know the corners and what gear I should be on in each (very relaxing on the suggested years on that track rather than by memory). Was very stagnant through last season's game.

Associate
So what difficulty for AI does everyone use? I started the game at 90 even though in the last game I was at 95 but am now up to 100, the highest I've ever had it at. Still managed to qualify 2nd in my McLaren with a not too powerful engine at Monza which was surprising to me.

Feel like I'm getting faster all the time now though, like on time trials I just put in the 666th faster lap on pc in Singapore and I'm not good at the track, barely know the corners and what gear I should be on in each (very relaxing on the suggested years on that track rather than by memory). Was very stagnant through last season's game.
I’m on 95, I’ve always struggled to get my braking right. I’m hoping that when I get my new peddles with load cell it will go towards helping with it.

Back
Top Bottom