F1 Season 2024 - Pre-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Personally while I'd kind of like to see it I think Alonso is more likely to stay at Aston; especially with future opportunity in sports cars there too; but I don't have an issue with his age if he's quick enough.
Surely a lot will ride on how Russell performs as well though; he needs Merc to see him as a team leader or I can see them opening their cheque book to try and buy out the contract of someone like Norris.

If Russell performs then there's a bigger chance they just chuck someone like Schumacher in for a season I'd say; especially with 2025 being a bit of a dead year with the end of the "regulation era"

That makes sense, the age bit was really that I don't think he will be (or maybe is already?) quick enough, humans start declining both mentally and physically well before 43, yeah he did well at the start of last season but considering his benchmark at that time was Stroll with broken wrists it's hard to get much of a gauge in that, he quickly fell back when the car wasn't clearly 2nd best in the field.

When you've got the likes of Albon, Schumacher, Sainz as Bug One mentioned or even Norris/Piastri/Others I just don't see Alonso as making any kind of sense.

I expect they'll wait till much later in the season before making a decision.

I'd still put Sainz up there as one of their best potential candidates, from the drivers likely to be available. Guess it'll depend on how his season goes now he's driving for his seat instead of as Leclercs wingman.

Yeah, Sainz is a candidate, I was/am kinda assuming he's off to Audi like the rumours from way back but if he's available he's a very solid driver and should definitely be in the mix.

Caporegime
I don't see Merc as being in any rush to decide. If Kimi Antonelli impresses in F2, I think they'll put him straight in, and I think they'll want time to assess that before making a decision. Realistically, unless the kid completely face plants in F2, anyone who gets that seat for '25 is only going to be keeping it warm for Kimi for a couple of years regardless so they don't need a perfect pick just someone competent to keep Russell on his toes.

Sainz is a decent driver, and would make a good leader for a mid-tier team, but I think he makes little sense for Merc, and the move makes even less sense for Sainz. The thing Merc really need in '25 if they don't gamble on Kimi is someone to help lead development of the '26 car, and for that they'll want an experienced driver with good technical skill. Which is why Alonso could work. Which makes Audi/Sauber a likely destination for Carlos - and could that mean a Merc return for Bottas?

Soldato
and could that mean a Merc return for Bottas?

Could be a good shout if they do want a temporary driver tbh

Sauber/Audi, assuming they are targetting Sainz, have Zhou/Bottas but also Theo Pourchaire waiting in the wings. Dropping Bottas kinda makes sense whilst for Merc he's a known entity that works well with the team and like you say could help work on the 2026 car if that's a factor.

Caporegime
I think the Merc would look pretty good in another season, but now it looks so much like the other cars that it just doesn't seem distinctive enough. Looks less melted than recent years, but also doesn't look like the real car.

Soldato
No shots from a front angle. Have they disguised the intakes?

W15.jpg

Caporegime
The livery looks different too. Perhaps it's just angles and lighting, but the silver looks much more pronounced in those media shots.

There's marketing speak:

Reflecting Who We Are

Another visible difference with the W15? The livery. In a year when the iconic Silver Arrows mark their 90th anniversary, the famous silver returns to complement the iconic black of recent seasons.

The nose section therefore transforms to silver, with the iconic three-pointed star pattern on the engine cover. The distinguished INEOS ‘Toto Rosso’ red features predominantly on the rear-wing and roll hoop in a nod to INEOS Sport, with PETRONAS green providing a dynamic flow across the car.

The new livery reflects the team’s commercial strength, as does recent news. Blue-chip brands such as SAP, WhatsApp, and Luminar have all joined the team’s partner ecosystem in recent months.​

I feel dirty just having read that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom