F1 Season 2024 - Pre-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I really like the Stake colours on track, looked even better than the launch imo, and the vcarb front wing looks so basic compared to the merc currently, although i would not be surprised to see changes to it between now and Bahrain

Soldato
We shall see.

The issue is we won't :( :p

I think similar to Scam here, nobody tries 'proper' overtakes cause they know they can wait until DRS and just walk past, for the most part. There were a handful of non-DRS overtakes over the last season, probably mostly on the Williams straightline rocketship, because they had to as DRS wasn't enough.

Be great if they did turn it off for a race or two as a test to see what would happen...

Soldato

I think similar to Scam here, nobody tries 'proper' overtakes cause they know they can wait until DRS and just walk past, for the most part. There were a handful of non-DRS overtakes over the last season, probably mostly on the Williams straightline rocketship, because they had to as DRS wasn't enough.

Be great if they did turn it off for a race or two as a test to see what would happen...
The way they went on about the new regs made it sound like we wouldn’t need it anymore but that doesn’t seem to have come to fruition… Im sure there are more technical reasons why it hasn’t turned out that way though.

Soldato
Mercedes running a 'What's App' button on the steering wheel for the radio communication :p

Last edited:
Soldato

We had years of limited overtaking without DRS and some seem to forget why it was introduced in the first place. I guess either some are too young in F1 to remember it or are looking back with rose tinted glasses. Alonso lost a WC because he couldn't pass another car thus DRS was introduced the following year in response to the fans complaints about cars not being able to overtake, thus the races were boring.
DRS is here to stay so people just need to accept it and stop going on about their 'romantic' view of F1's history. Really this isn't a debate.

Last edited:
Soldato
We had years of limited overtaking without DRS and some seem to forget why it was introduced in the first place. I guess either some are too young in F1 to remember it or are looking back with rose tinted glasses. Alonso lost a WC because he couldn't pass another car thus DRS was introduced the following year in response to the fans complaints about cars not being able to overtake, thus the races were boring.
DRS is here to stay so people just need to accept it and stop going on about their 'romantic' view of F1's history. Really this isn't a debate.

That was also at a time when the aero rules meant following closely was very hard if not impossible, the aero rules have changed and clearly these ground effect cars are capable of following closely for prolonged periods of time.

It's not some romantic rose tinted view, it's simply that DRS was and always has been a crutch to mask a poor set of rules. The rules have changed but with DRS still present there's no incentive for drivers to actually attempt the more risky, more skillful, overtakes as they don't need to, yet my opinion is that the cars are capable of following closely enough now that without DRS there would still be overtakes just based on skill rather than pressing a button.

Soldato
Thinking out loud, what if DRS was available everywhere on track when you were within 1 sec of the car in front. Total driver discretion when to use it. Why limit to specific zones?

Soldato
DRS everwhere but only X seconds per lap usage haas could use it to catch up to the back of the pack
I think a KERS-style as a tactical tool is more interesting. Teams could harvest and store more energy if they were allowed too - just give them a fixed amount of additional boost per lap to encourage overtakes.

Soldato

For anyone without Sky if they want to have some commentary with some graphics. I think it's kosher but if anyone knows different please let me know and I'll remove it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom