F1 Season 2024 - Pre-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Partially yes that's correct, but 90% of why they were fast was the double diffuser aero concept, which they did design. All teams copied it eventually such was the extent of the performance benefit. If you haven't yet, watch the Disney Plus documentary on Brawn, it's quite good.

The main reason why they were fast was at the other end of the car, it was the outwash front wing. You only have to look at the step change in the performance of the McLaren MP4-24 which went from a complete dog at the start of the season to winning races once they understood what the Brawn had and implemented it on their car. The outwash design is so important that the teams are still trying to implement it on the current cars despite the rules doing their best to prevent it.

Associate
I wish they had some rules on the launches forcing them to show their actual car rather than it basically being a livery unveil. They could have some big glitzy hoopla where they all launch together at the same time at a soulless cringetastic event in Vegas. Liberty Media should pay me for these ideas.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I wish they had some rules on the launches forcing them to show their actual car rather than it basically being a livery unveil. They could have some big glitzy hoopla where they all launch together at the same time at a soulless cringetastic event in Vegas. Liberty Media should pay me for these ideas.

Who cares? Lets be honest the F1 "launch" isn't for us as fans it for their sponsors; let them do what they want

Soldato
It's hard to imagine 24 being anything other than a replay of 23. Can't wait till 25.
I think it will be very similar, which means I'll probably only watch a couple of races again. Hopefully 2025 is more interesting with Hamilton at Ferrari being something to keep an eye on

Last edited:
Soldato
Same, I expect RB to still be the fastest but don't think they'll be as dominant as last season.

I don't see any reason to think Ferrari with Hamilton will be that much faster/ closer to RB in 25. We'll have to wait for regs changes in 26 to see bigger grid shake up.

Soldato
I don't see any reason to think Ferrari with Hamilton will be that much faster/ closer to RB in 25. We'll have to wait for regs changes in 26 to see bigger grid shake up.
Agreed. My reckoning is that Hamilton is doing with Ferrari what he did at Merc, ie. join the team 1 year before a big rule change and get used to the team, structure, management etc, make the changes he feels he needs and then hope like hell they get a head start for the new regs and go for a championship in 2026.

Last edited:
Soldato
Same, I expect RB to still be the fastest but don't think they'll be as dominant as last season.

Well at the least we’re going to learn a lot about Leclerc, don’t forget 2007, although there was a lot more testing then.

Soldato
Well at the least we’re going to learn a lot about Leclerc
Leclerc is often faster than Verstappen on pure quali pace so like a lot of commentators have said, it's totally ballsy for Hamilton to be challenging him in the same machinery. It's going to be very interesting. If Ferrari get their car together for 25 (or more likely 26) then they're going to have arguably the best qualifier on the grid, and a 7/8x world champion as well to bring some consistency to the race pace. People are talking like Ferrari signed Lewis for him to sit in meetings and let Leclerc do the racing, like his racing days are over. I don't think that's the case at all.

Last edited:
Associate
And very much Perez's last chance. If McLaren and AM sort out their consistency (Ferrari and Merc are wildcards) then Max won't be able to carry RB alone.

If he has a poor showing in the first few races, we could see a swap with Danny Ric.

Soldato
Leclerc is often faster than Verstappen on pure quali pace so like a lot of commentators have said, it's totally ballsy for Hamilton to be challenging him in the same machinery. It's going to be very interesting. If Ferrari get their car together for 25 (or more likely 26) then they're going to have arguably the best qualifier on the grid, and a 7/8x world champion as well to bring some consistency to the race pace. People are talking like Ferrari signed Lewis for him to sit in meetings and let Leclerc do the racing, like his racing days are over. I don't think that's the case at all.

I don't think anyone actually thinks his racing days are over, it's just that last couple of seasons Ferrari, whilst fast on the day, doesn't really fills people with confidence that they'll be able to properly challenge till regs shake up (assuming they get it right). People are being cautious with expectations for his first season and some might also factor his age as he may hit the "age wall" at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom