FA CUP FINAL ... Arsenal v Chelsea ... Saturday 27th May *** Spoilers ***

Caporegime
Well that's rather nice that we won the FA cup by beating Chelsea :D.

That's made my day and now I think the best thing is for Wenger to walk away with his head held high.

Winning the FA cup at least softens the blow of not qualifying for CL next season.

Well done arsenal, another FA Cup to add to the collection

Associate
you purposefully edited out where I said " fully deserved win" then?

I selected the part of what you said that I wanted to respond to.
It would have been unlucky for Arsenal if Chelsea had played well enough to win when Arsenal put in the effort they did. One side's success is always dependent on the other side. And if Chelsea had played better, Arsenal would have done different things and the match would have different in a way we can't know.

Last edited:
Underboss
First goal shouldn't have stood but after a less than great season I'm feeling happier now.

As for AW and his future I'll let the board decide that.

Soldato
When Chelsea pulled it back to 1-1 I turned the TV off and went for a walk. I was sure this was going to be another Arsenal choke, another almost, the performance just felt so "Arsenal" - 1-0 up, missed a boatload of chances, came out in the second half like they'd been chugging sleeping pills at half time, concede an equaliser with the finish line sight... I actually couldn't bear to watch anymore. I'm in shock that we won, I was sure that even down to 10 men Chelsea had the momentum.

We played so well today, considering how depleted the squad was we put in a very convincing performance, we had more than our fair share of luck and if I were a Chelsea fan I'd feel very aggrieved about that first goal, but christ we did it, we salvaged something from this train wreck of a season. Its not like all is forgiven, there is a long way to go to bring this club back to where it needs to be, but god I feel happy right now.

Caporegime
Before the game I couldn't decide if I wanted us to win. There are two options, Wenger decides to call it a day after winning a cup or Wenger is convinced winning the cup signifies a turn around and that he can compete in the league so stays longer, we all thought maybe the former a couple years back, we barely beat Hull but he stuck around, he beat Villa, but stuck around... I have a feeling a cup win will cause him to stick around longer again.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Before the game I couldn't decide if I wanted us to win. There are two options, Wenger decides to call it a day after winning a cup or Wenger is convinced winning the cup signifies a turn around and that he can compete in the league so stays longer, we all thought maybe the former a couple years back, we barely beat Hull but he stuck around, he beat Villa, but stuck around... I have a feeling a cup win will cause him to stick around longer again.
As long as we keep winning, why should he not be sticking around is the question :p

Look at poor spurs, people have been biging them up for years and they would love to win "a" trophy, let alone 3 in 4 seasons... Yet people gush when talking about them and their manager. When it comes Arsene and Arsenal it is all doom and gloom.

Caporegime
As long as we keep winning, why should he not be sticking around is the question :p

Look at poor spurs, people have been biging them up for years and they would love to win "a" trophy, let alone 3 in 4 seasons... Yet people gush when talking about them and their manager. When it comes Arsene and Arsenal it is all doom and gloom.

Because Arsenal have a roughly 170mil net spend and average around 185-190mil a year wage bill in the past three years, Spurs have a 16mil net spend under Poch, and an average 95mil a year wage bill, and they've gone from 5-6th to a solid 2nd in the league while we've gone from 2nd to 5th.. but we did well in a consolation cup that seemingly only teams who aren't in the league or european fight care about in any given year? I didn't care about the Carling Cup, the FA cup or the completely pointless community shield 5 years ago, 3 years ago, last year or this year. The two big competitions are league and europe, the consolation cup is the FA cup, the consolation cup to the consolation cup is the Carling cup, the community shield is there for if someone can claim a treble with it to try and make their season sound less crap.

We couldn't be Leicester last year, we couldn't get top four this year, but yay, we won the FA cup, beating greats such as Sutton and Lincoln on the way to the final... whoop whoop. WHo has won the FA cup in the past 4 years can be directly linked to how well that team was doing in the league and europe that year, failure = good in the cup, rubbish means actually had a chance at league and europe.

Caporegime
Because Arsenal have a roughly 170mil net spend and average around 185-190mil a year wage bill in the past three years, Spurs have a 16mil net spend under Poch, and an average 95mil a year wage bill, and they've gone from 5-6th to a solid 2nd in the league while we've gone from 2nd to 5th.. but we did well in a consolation cup that seemingly only teams who aren't in the league or european fight care about in any given year? I didn't care about the Carling Cup, the FA cup or the completely pointless community shield 5 years ago, 3 years ago, last year or this year. The two big competitions are league and europe, the consolation cup is the FA cup, the consolation cup to the consolation cup is the Carling cup, the community shield is there for if someone can claim a treble with it to try and make their season sound less crap.

We couldn't be Leicester last year, we couldn't get top four this year, but yay, we won the FA cup, beating greats such as Sutton and Lincoln on the way to the final... whoop whoop. WHo has won the FA cup in the past 4 years can be directly linked to how well that team was doing in the league and europe that year, failure = good in the cup, rubbish means actually had a chance at league and europe.

Better than 5th and no FA cup though.

Associate
Since 2006, Wenger had been blind to massive problem is his squad. He might have believed those that kept pointing to the easy targets like Sanchez and Oezil but he, without quite knowing the exact target, knew it was something/someone else and after the West Brom defeat, there it was, for all to see. Walcott.

I like that our recent success has had little (has even played?) to do with him. I was expecting him to sulk after Arsenal won as way of signalling his disgruntlement at being dropped for the recent run of games. I was surprised to see him being the exact opposite as if all he really cares about is proximity to success rather than his on contribution to it.

Soldato
Honest question - Im not dissing Arsenal at all, but does the FA Cup actually count for anything anymore in real terms (apart from the theoretical Europa entry, which is irrelevant most years)?

Its a real pity because of the history, but Im not sure it does for the top teams.
If a manager is under immense pressure - then sure, its handy to point to something / anything - or to a brand new manager in a team , which is another good reason to value it - otherwise its a bit "meh" isnt it?

Back
Top Bottom