Facebook privacy?

Associate
Had a software update for my samsung s6 on saturday, after the reboot i had Facebook installed.
And it can't be uninstalled - only disabled.

Pile of carp

Caporegime
I used to be able to stop anyone seeing my profile over than people in my friend list. However, I've now found that friends of friends can see me. This causes a problem, I want to be anon again. I used to show as 'facebook user' or something, when I posted on friends walls.

Anyone know how to lock down my profile again? Everyting is set to 'friends only' already :(

Seriously if you want to be anonymous, Facebook really is not the website for you lol. It kind of defeats the point of it.

Had a software update for my samsung s6 on saturday, after the reboot i had Facebook installed.
And it can't be uninstalled - only disabled.

Pile of carp

You haven't rooted your phone?!

Man of Honour
Rather than start a new thread.

Had a strange/interesting one today - was out in town for a few appointments (so had my phone off) and then went into Vision Express in our local Tesco for an eye test - while waiting briefly interacted with one of the girls working in Tesco. Just now had her pop up as someone I might know on Facebook - no friends of friends, etc. and the only thing that could possibly tie me to that location would have been my card payment for the eye test (or some conspiracy level thing with facial recognition hah). Very very unlikely she knew my name even if she had any interest in looking me up.

Very strange coincidence.

Man of Honour
you had made an appointment for the eye test itself, before ? via a device/direct-call/email ? so your location/interaction could have been known beforehand ?

I made it online via the optician's web-site - it would be somewhat interesting if that data was at all exposed to Facebook though. I booked it on PC but there is no way that session would have had any links to Facebook i.e. cookies, etc.

Soldato
if you have accessed fb from the PC , and also searched there for opticians specific location (or used google maps to check location) that PC could be fingerprinted to allow a connection to be made ?

Soldato
as a technical person it amazes me just how facebook manages to link data to data.

As an example, my wife gave up smoking, weve texted about it. now I'm seeing Nicorette adverts in my feed, I don't have the app installed on my phone as I just go via chrome so it should have access to my mic/txt details, she has the app installed so likely can read her messages/convos, with that it likely took my phone number from those txt messages, linked it to my account and started advertising Nicorette to me.

I also get friend recommendations from work colleagues I've never had interactions with, its likely pulling that from either location data or recognising we are using the same wifi.

its scary and impressive just how accurate it is with its invasive techniques.

Soldato
I find this weird that it is matching people you might know just because they work in a shop you visited. Why don't FB just add everyone in the world to everyone's FB and be done with it!

Associate
I deleted my FB account a year ago and haven't missed it at all. It is the only way to have some FB privacy, and I say some as I am sure they track data globally, in partnership with Google, the US Government etc.

Man of Honour
if you have accessed fb from the PC , and also searched there for opticians specific location (or used google maps to check location) that PC could be fingerprinted to allow a connection to be made ?

Not in this case - but even if it was I've only seen this specific person show up and all the other suggestions are friends of friends, etc. and not other random people I encountered.

Soldato
It's too late to be deleting FB now for goodness sake they've collected all the epsis data they need to completely own society.

Deleting FB now means in future you will be denied basic things like driving licence, insurance, air travel, job interview, medicine, etc etc.

Epsis data is extremely dangerous for all society I've been warning for almost a decade now and the datasets are now complete. Resistance was possible but now it is futile. We needed a collective effort from the start when I used to warn people, now it's too late deleting your FB is only to your own detriment.

Soldato
I've seen many people go cold turkey with facebook, only to fail and come back. Throughout 2018 I have been removing friends in small but regular batches.
Down from 400+ at the start of the year to 15 lol before new years day I will have zero! It's worked well for me.

Soldato
I made it online via the optician's web-site - it would be somewhat interesting if that data was at all exposed to Facebook though. I booked it on PC but there is no way that session would have had any links to Facebook i.e. cookies, etc.

Things like outbrain etc use dozens upon dozens of vectors to track individuals across the internet. It's not just your cookies or session data. It's things like if you watch five YouTube videos in a row they can narrow you down to 500 possible people even if you aren't signed in. Watch 10 in a row and they can narrow you down even more. That's how good the machine learning and data mining on epsis data has gotten.

Soldato
This is why if you ever see a recommended video which makes you think "hey this is a great recommendation".... Do not under any circumstances watch that video.

Soldato
Epsis data is extremely dangerous for all society I've been warning for almost a decade now and the datasets are now complete. Resistance was possible but now it is futile. We needed a collective effort from the start when I used to warn people, now it's too late deleting your FB is only to your own detriment.
are you quoting Sarah Connor ? ;)

... but it's also like brexit awareness, the smart money repulsed it from the outset.

Iphone(&other?) fingerprinting/tracking based on the music playlist/choice is one of the most gorgeous I have seen so far. ....earlier thread I can't see now,
but among the teens I guess there are many A.*grundie fans

Back
Top Bottom